Legit remixes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathan1977

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Going through my remix playlist, I have a couple of remixes that I don't think are legit. Just curious if anyone can vouch for these or not:

- Desire (Hollywood Full Length 12" Promo Mix) - 12:37
- Electrical (Sand)Storm - DJ Sandstorm remix
- Vertigo (Close to the Edge remix)
- COBL - 4 string remix
- Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own - Club Mix

I also have apparently a strange edit of Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity) that just loops Edge's opening lines ("Don't move don't talk out of time don't think don't worry everything's just fine") over and over for 6:06.

Gimme Some More Dignity mix of Numb is legit because its from Best of 1990-2000 B-sides....But then again, from memory it doesn't loop the first line over and over....but its been a while since I listened to it. I dont know about the others....although they sound a bit dodgy...particululay the "Closer to the Edge" one!

Have never heard of any Desire remixes... is it any good?

Last edited:
I am a bit of a completist, and I too have been plagued with the decision of keeping or deleting some remixes. It's a tough call. At this point I am trying to be less anal-retentive about it and just keep the ones I like. Some are great, but there are a lot of shite mixes out there - even if they are "official." Just looking at my itunes, I have 13 different versions of Vertigo. That's pretty stupid. Seems like the best ones take the song in a new direction (Mysterious Ways, for example); the bad ones just "club" it up and make it loooonng.

The Desire ones are OK, but it's weird that you can stretch a 3 minute rock song to 13 minutes. They contain news soundbytes and whatnot from the 80's. Luckily the Rattle and Hum version sounds more Memphis than Los Angeles!

mandrake said:
What is the Close to the Edge mix?

So how does Sometimes become a club song? That doesnt sound like that would be that great.

Close to the Edge mix sucks. All swishy high hat and kick drum, all the rock scooped out of Vertigo. Really, really bad. Why do I have this? I really should weed out some more of that garbage.

Can't imagine a Sometimes club mix. Although I do have that song at a few different BPM's, as I'm sure many of you do. Interesting if only to see how desperate U2 were to have that song played in any form on the radio - "Hey, we'll speed it up 3 BPM's! Still too slow? How about 103 BPM?"

luna_lovegood said:
Gimme Some More Dignity mix of Numb is legit because its from Best of 1990-2000 B-sides....But then again, from memory it doesn't loop the first line over and over....but its been a while since I listened to it. I dont know about the others....although they sound a bit dodgy...particululay the "Closer to the Edge" one!

As I recall, I picked it up from someone who said that they had a weird version of the Gimme Some More Dignity mix. It is indeed weird -- I have the regular remix versions (the Melon remix and the edited remix from the Best Of) and this is different from those, nothing more than that opening line.

I have the original Hollywood remix of Desire (5.23) and the 9+ min Hollywood version remix of Desire. I forget how I got the 12+ min Hollywood remix. Not sure if it's legit.

The club mix of Sometimes is awful.

The Close to the Edge mix of Vertigo is okay -- I wonder if it's a white label remix of some kind. Not sure and would love some clarity.

nathan1977 said:
Going through my remix playlist, I have a couple of remixes that I don't think are legit. Just curious if anyone can vouch for these or not:

- Desire (Hollywood Full Length 12" Promo Mix) - 12:37
- Electrical (Sand)Storm - DJ Sandstorm remix
- Vertigo (Close to the Edge remix)
- COBL - 4 string remix
- Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own - Club Mix

I also have apparently a strange edit of Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity) that just loops Edge's opening lines ("Don't move don't talk out of time don't think don't worry everything's just fine") over and over for 6:06.

None of these remixes are legit. Although there are legit remixes of Desire (Hollywood Remix) and Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity Mix), those are not the songs you have, based on your description.

Aardvark747 said:
U2 Remixes = :down:

I think that's too general a statement. There are some excellent remixes of U2 songs and also some horrible ones. In general I like them (even Last Night On Earth (First Night In Hell Mix) which I was listening to just a few moments ago, coincidentally) as they can give another perspective on a song. That said, I do hope they release more original songs (especially as B-sides on singles) and less remixes. Especially if a song already has 2 dozen remixes.

I really like the Mysterious Ways remixes and the Lounge Fly remix. Some of the Discotheque stuff is ok.

But when some dude just puts some generic clubby drum loops on there, I lose interest. Maybe pumped at some club somewhere it would sound cool, but it just grates on me.

the tourist said:

I want to hear to original Holy Joe. Apparently all we get is remixes of that one....

Pretty sure the Garage Mix is the original...they just slapped a remix title to it, but it's pretty four-rockers-in-the-raw to be what we normally think of as a remix.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder, though, if they had recorded another version of it somewhere that just never got released....

God said:
Pretty sure the Garage Mix is the original...they just slapped a remix title to it, but it's pretty four-rockers-in-the-raw to be what we normally think of as a remix.

I think both the Garage Mix as well as the Guilty Mix are the originals. They're just 2 different mixes of a song (and thus not really remixes of an original).

Nah, "Guilty Mix" is more spacey and synthetic; it's like the difference between the regular "Electrical Storm" and the William Orbit remixed one.

Some Mysterious Ways mixes are so good that they're even better than the original album version, particurarly Perfecto and Solar Plexus Extended mixes are my favourite ones. Can listen to them over and over again :up:

God said:
Nah, "Guilty Mix" is more spacey and synthetic; it's like the difference between the regular "Electrical Storm" and the William Orbit remixed one.

It is. But it's not a remix like those of Discothèque, Mysterious Ways or Lemon. It's an alternative mix, like the Garage Mix is an alternative mix. Granted, one is more spacey and the other more rocking, but they're both originals.

Popmartijn said:

It is. But it's not a remix like those of Discothèque, Mysterious Ways or Lemon. It's an alternative mix, like the Garage Mix is an alternative mix. Granted, one is more spacey and the other more rocking, but they're both originals.

I still see (hear?) Garage as a mix and Guilty as a remix; we'll have to agree to disagree.

Popmartijn said:

I think that's too general a statement. There are some excellent remixes of U2 songs and also some horrible ones. In general I like them (even Last Night On Earth (First Night In Hell Mix)

God - that's one of the worst imo!:ohmy:

:wink:

On reflection, I guess there are a couple of exceptions. Dirty Day (Junk Day) and the Jools Holland Velvet Dress version. Maybe there's more tho if I think hard enough!
I guess it's more things like ALL the Mysterious Ways and EBTTRT remixes that just get to me...:mad:

Back
Top Bottom