Legends or not (yet) ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AtomicBono said:

here is one of the most important points in the entire thread...U2's universal influence. We all know Chris Martin has a hard-on for U2, but who would have predicted that Linkin Park would change their sound to reflect U2's? How about Radiohead, who everyone just loves to compare to U2 negatively (y cant u2 b mor liek radohed lozlolozlolzoz56)? I'm pretty sure multiple members of the band have said positive things about U2 and they are an obvious influence (as far as I'm concerned Radiohead have always been a few steps behind U2... U2 did Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, and Pop, and then Radiohead did OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac). What about all those hipster not-quite-indie bands (Interpol, The Killers, Bloc Party, etc)? What about these shitty boring pop songs I hear on the radio that have blatantly generic Edge guitar? Yes, people will say BUT U2 DIDNT MAYK THAT SOND EKO AND THE BUNIMEN DID AND JOY DIVISON LOLZOZLZ U2 DIDNT INVENT N E TING thats fine, but first off, I fully believe that U2 did create their own sound, regardless of other similar sounding bands at the time, the U2 sounds stands out from the rest - it's not just the Edge guitar tone. secondly though, U2 brought this sound to the masses. and U2 evolved. U2 is the band people will remember 50 years from now, because their influence will still be heard in music, just like the influence of The Beatles and Led Zeppelin and The Velvet Underground (not as famous, but incredibly influencial) can be heard today.

oh yeah and U2 made some decent albums too, some shit about trees and babies and leaves, that might have something to do with the whole legendary status thing. and the whole, you know, amazing live shows with groundbreaking technology and connecting with the audience and Bono going farther than any previous rock star in actually making a difference politically. Those could be factors too.

plus, they had their own iPod. that was neat.

Nice post.

Another of the most important points being ignored is that perhaps U2's songs simply sound better than almost every other bands.

Maybe Stay is quite simply a more appealing song to most people than No Surprises, and more people would rather hear the sheer sweetness of the chords from One over Fake Plastic Trees.

Surely, just the mass enjoyment of U2 songs has to count for something.

Some time ago, I started a thread about amazing U2 facts. U2 are 8th on the most time spent in the UK charts since it started. Its hard to belive but its true. If you added up all the time spent in the chart, it adds up to over 28 years! Just wanted to put it in perspective. Facts dont lie!

Another thing, Has anyone mentioned touring? Take the stones aside (as they charge phenomonal ticket prices!) and U2s tours since JT have been among the top attended and most sucsessfull ever. Not something achievable unless your World class act.....which u2 are!

intedomine said:

Nice post.

Another of the most important points being ignored is that perhaps U2's songs simply sound better than almost every other bands.

Maybe Stay is quite simply a more appealing song to most people than No Surprises, and more people would rather hear the sheer sweetness of the chords from One over Fake Plastic Trees.

I can vouch for that, I listen to U2 for hours and hours. I spent about 25 minutes with Ok Computer and turned it off.

i have been enjoying this discussion immensely and i am even more convinced U2 are legends. I agree with a point already made sales don't equal quality. But i was confused about a reference to leaves being a subject of U2's albums. I got the reference to trees and babies. If someone could clear that up for me i would appreciate it.

mediaman44 said:
i have been enjoying this discussion immensely and i am even more convinced U2 are legends. I agree with a point already made sales don't equal quality. But i was confused about a reference to leaves being a subject of U2's albums. I got the reference to trees and babies. If someone could clear that up for me i would appreciate it.

All That You Can't LEAVE Behind

I didn't get it at first either. :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And popularity doesn't guarantee anything.

Michael Jackson was very popular at one time.

Well, he did make Thriller, and Off the Wall to name just two albums. The pre-scandal, freaky Michael did actually have good music.

Aside from many hits, he was/is also a great dancer and Quincy Jones made sure he had a progressive sound. Along with Madonna, he is probably responsible for infuencing the sound and especially look of today's pop, headed by early Timberlake (before he switched to emulating Prince, that is) and (in her heyday) Spears.

Beatles and "overrated" just don't belong in the same sentence IMO.

Last edited:
Just watched The Seven Ages Of Rock on BBC1. Tonight was documenting Stadium Rock from Led zepplin,Queen, Springsteen thro to The Police. the Programme finished by stating U2 are the greatest stadium act EVER! Think that says it all really

^ yeah i watched that too, it all reflected nicely towards u2, shame the band didnt want to be interviewed or such.

Thought it weird how it stopped at Zoo tv without mentioning their continued dominance and continual pushing the envelope in the art over the following 14 yrs

^ im suprised the rolling stones 90's tours and popmart didnt get a mention either.

The IT Factor

Does any one remember the mysterious "IT" factor that Bono would discuss interviews through out the decades, when explaining U2's success?

"IT" is a positive quality that is hard for one to put a finger on, but you just know when that band or solo artist has that special something. All the bands listed in the very beginning of the post have that subjective quality in question. So I guess the majority of the record buying/concert going public felt that U2 had "IT."
Thus, I guess that makes them as legendary as anyone else in history.

intedomine said:

Nice post.

Not until they remaster the back catalogue they won't. :down:

removing my U2 tinted spectacles through which I view life I would say that yes they are legendry. They are groundbreakers in every sense, they took what was before them and improved it and they have given inspiration to loads that will follow.

None of the other artists in the list are worthy of being U2's roadies!

Heres some facts to consider;

170M+ record sales

Sucsessful tours on a scale perhaps only the Stones can/ever will rival

Groundbreaking tours that NOBODY has come close to matching

Regarded as THE greatest ever stadium act

Been at the VERY TOP of the bizz for 20 years and still with the original line up, which i maintain is unheard of for any other band

Influencing many bands over many years

Regarded as having produced 2 of the greatest and critically acclaimed albums of a generation

I really believe that u2 will be mentioned with the greats (The Beatles and Elvis among a very select few others) long after we are gone, deeming them Legendary IMHO

gman said:
Heres some facts to consider;

170M+ record sales

Sucsessful tours on a scale perhaps only the Stones can/ever will rival

Groundbreaking tours that NOBODY has come close to matching

Regarded as THE greatest ever stadium act

Been at the VERY TOP of the bizz for 20 years and still with the original line up, which i maintain is unheard of for any other band

Influencing many bands over many years

Regarded as having produced 2 of the greatest and critically acclaimed albums of a generation

I really believe that u2 will be mentioned with the greats (The Beatles and Elvis among a very select few others) long after we are gone, deeming them Legendary IMHO

The tour issue is debatable. I mean, they are definitely one of the greats, but to say they ARE the greatest is way too much of a stretch to make, at least in my opinion. Basing it on something a BBC show says is also ridiculous.

Record sales are also another point of contention, but that's been stated before.

Don't get me wrong, I love the band, they're still my favorite after discovering many other bands over a period of 2-3 years, but having a favorite band and calling them THE GREATEST BAND is ridiculous on every level. To that person they may be, but not to the other 5,999,999,999 other people in the world, you know?

I think what's also being forgotten is the people listed in that "legendary" list are the ones who influenced U2 the most, so that has to be taken into consideration. You can state facts for as much as you want, but personal opinion will sway this argument way too far for it to be taken completely serious.

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

The tour issue is debatable. I mean, they are definitely one of the greats, but to say they ARE the greatest is way too much of a stretch to make, at least in my opinion. Basing it on something a BBC show says is also ridiculous.

Record sales are also another point of contention, but that's been stated before.

Don't get me wrong, I love the band, they're still my favorite after discovering many other bands over a period of 2-3 years, but having a favorite band and calling them THE GREATEST BAND is ridiculous on every level. To that person they may be, but not to the other 5,999,999,999 other people in the world, you know?

I think what's also being forgotten is the people listed in that "legendary" list are the ones who influenced U2 the most, so that has to be taken into consideration. You can state facts for as much as you want, but personal opinion will sway this argument way too far for it to be taken completely serious.

It was several well regarded Music journos that sed u2 were the greatest stadium act ever, not the BBC. Having lived pretty much thro the whole stadium act era, bias aside, I think you would be hard pushed to find a greater act in this field! Can you name me a more groundbreaking live act that have done anything close Zoo Tv or Popmart, but also play to the millions of people that U2 do consistantly? I would say The Stones can match the numbers but not the inventiveness, and then maybe Pink floyd have been a bit inventive, but tours lack the attendances. U2 score on BOTH

I certainly have at no point made the sweeping statement that u2 were "THE GREATEST BAND", although, to me, they always have been and always will be, but thats my personal opinion.
As i sed earlier in the thread, while I agree that musical taste is subjective, you cant argue with facts!

Can any of the doubting thomas's give any valid reasons as to why u2 will NOT be classified as legends?

Some facts you stated are irrelevant to being in legendary status, I think I've addressed them so far. Yes, they should be considered one of the greatest rock acts ever, but I'd rather wait until all is said and done to make that distinction.

Popularity and Legendary are two completely different terms by the way. You keep comparing them to different "legendary" acts to affirm them a place with them, that doesn't make any sense if you're saying that aren't claiming U2 is "the greatest band" or not.

In my opinion, you can say a band has reached that "legendary" status for their own reasons, for U2 it could be their longevity and their consistent quality over the years, as opposed to The Who being the masters at the rock opera, rock n' roll scream (Daltrey), and having one of the best drummers of all-time. Sure they're both great bands, so why try and one-up one of them in order to try and affirm another's spot in some high and mighty place?

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

Popularity and Legendary are two completely different terms by the way. You keep comparing them to different "legendary" acts to affirm them a place with them, that doesn't make any sense if you're saying that aren't claiming U2 is "the greatest band" or not.

Ho hum!!
Al attempt to make this as clear as possible without trying to misslead anyone into thinking its a science.
IMHO, u2 will be mentioned in the same terms as The Beatles, Elvis and a few others in 100 yrs time, should makind not have wiped itself out by then!
Dont go analysing things too deeply, looking for flaws, when the only thing being done by myself and others, is replying to a posted question on a forum.

U2 are also culturally relevent in their THIRD decade. Cold-hearted cynics will say what they will of the timing of 9/11/01 that boasted U2 into the realm of "musical healers," and how possibly U2 expoilted that event to claim such title, but the fact remains that the majority of the American record buying/concert going public chose U2's music as a channel to grieve, mourn, and vent.
The sold out shows at Madison Square Garden, NY that Fall alone are ample evidence that they are legends. It was like the Beatles landing in New York soon after JFK was killed.

ps, sorry to play the 9/11 card myself but the above staement has to count for something at least.

Last edited:
gman said:

Ho hum!!
Al attempt to make this as clear as possible without trying to misslead anyone into thinking its a science.
IMHO, u2 will be mentioned in the same terms as The Beatles, Elvis and a few others in 100 yrs time, should makind not have wiped itself out by then!
Dont go analysing things too deeply, looking for flaws, when the only thing being done by myself and others, is replying to a posted question on a forum.

I don't come here to debate quantum mechanics and theology, I come here for the same reason as you, but it's alright for me to disagree with you, right? It is okay?

I'm just making sure.

Back
Top Bottom