Laugh in OOTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Have ya'll noticed Bono laughing in OOTS? It occurs close to the end, the last time Bono sings "Everywhere you go you shout it - you don't have to be [laugh] shy about it".

I love it!

Really? Sounds like he's struggling for air to me :D

Then again, maybe during vocal dubbing, Adam mooned Bono like John did to Paul during a Beatles session :wink:

80sU2isBest said:
Have ya'll noticed Bono laughing in OOTS? It occurs close to the end, the last time Bono sings "Everywhere you go you shout it - you don't have to be [laugh] shy about it".

I love it!

YES!! Awesome isnt it? I was pointing this out to my girlfriend the other night, driving her crazy because she couldnt hear it. It just sounds like he is having an amazing time recording this track. I love it :yes:

I think it's great they left it in there. Bono also laughs in "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", on the line "there's snow on the ground / I'm watching it fall." That stuff is golden.

I thought it was a funny coincidence that I listened to REM's "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" on the radio on my way to Best Buy to pick up the new album. Michael Stipe also laughs during the last chorus of that song. I've always wondered what happened in the studio to make him laugh, and the same goes for the Bono stuff. I guess we'll never know.

Last edited:
I noticed this too, I could picture him laughing/smiling while singing that line.....only crazy U2 fans would notice that lol :wink:

Canadiens1160 said:
Really? Sounds like he's struggling for air to me :D

Then again, maybe during vocal dubbing, Adam mooned Bono like John did to Paul during a Beatles session :wink:

Nah that can't be it, because Bono's allegedly the one who fancies "dropping trou."

----------------

Didn't Edge say the last time he cried was when listening to this song, as it's partly written about his daughter, aww.

Uh ... I don't hear the laugh, which is somewhat embarrassing as I'm usually the one calling people deaf here. What time is it at in the song?

wolf Q said:
I think it's about 3:38 if I looked at the cd player correct, I'm tired

That time would seem to be right, but on my version, he doesn't sound like he's laughing at all. He just sings 'shy' a little excitedly.

I thought he was laughing at first. Then thought, what would he be laughing about?
Now when I hear it, it just sounds like he's giving a very emotional performence...it's great!

Guess it just depends on what it sounds like to you, there's no way to really know.

Shade said:
I think it's great they left it in there. Bono also laughs in "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", on the line "there's snow on the ground / I'm watching it fall." That stuff is golden.

Yes, I always loved that.

In fact, the reason that I am so convinced that it is a laugh on OOTS is because it sounds very very much like the laugh in "Christmas", and I know 100% that is a laugh, because you can see it on the video.

Am I the only one that thought Bono was laughing after his big vocal in "When I Look at the World" ?? When he sings "Can't wait any longer" for the second time, and his voice gets all raspy...then he kinda lets out a small laugh while singing "...to see what you see..." Yeah, a-ha....daddy's gonna pay for my crashed car.....

BOOMCHA!
with or without you...
BOOMCHA!
WITH or WITHOUT YOU aha.....
BOOMCHA!

Catman said:
Am I the only one that thought Bono was laughing after his big vocal in "When I Look at the World" ?? When he sings "Can't wait any longer" for the second time, and his voice gets all raspy...then he kinda lets out a small laugh while singing "...to see what you see..

He may have been.

That Bono - what a cut-up!

Axver said:

That time would seem to be right, but on my version, he doesn't sound like he's laughing at all. He just sings 'shy' a little excitedly.

Oh, come on. That's the weakest refutation that anybody could possibly come up with.

Shade said:

I love the laughs in both songs! I also enjoy the Slane Castle version of New Year's Day...when Bono's laughing about his crown of TP! :cute:

It sounds like he yells "Hey!" after he laughs. Maybe someone came into the studio just then and they made him laugh.

Shade said:
I thought it was a funny coincidence that I listened to REM's "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" on the radio on my way to Best Buy to pick up the new album. Michael Stipe also laughs during the last chorus of that song. I've always wondered what happened in the studio to make him laugh, and the same goes for the Bono stuff. I guess we'll never know.

Hey Shade, not to ruin the mystery for you, but I remember reading that Stipe kept laughing because the last words of the previous verse were "Dr. Seuss" and he kept singing "Zeus". The band was making fun of him so he was cracking on every take. They kept it in.

As far as OOTS is concerned, I don't know why anyone's looking for alternate explanations. Bono sounds overjoyed about singing this song, and gets caught up in the moment. I wish he would have gone even further with the excitement, like McCartney on Hey Jude (something OOTS is [oh-so-not-even-close] compared to). Hopefully live it will become an even bigger celebration.

The other great, similar moment is when Bono yells "Hey!" after the final chorus on Crumbs. It's the little things like that (and the yell in ABOY) which make this album so alive compared to the entombing, chamber piece quality of...umm... you know, its predecessor...

laz

Rachel D. said:
It sounds like he yells "Hey!" after he laughs. Maybe someone came into the studio just then and they made him laugh.

I think he sings that part: "Everywhere you go you shout it, you don't have to be shy about it, NO!" Makes sense with the lyrics also.

It sounds like Bono got emotional during the song, as is clear by the last chorus. I don't think he was laughing.

sounds like a laugh to me!
brilliant, i love stuff like that when it pops up

Doesnt sound like a laugh to me but who knows I thought that was just some creative song structure...

Do not know if this has been mentioned before, but there is definitely a laugh (a couple in fact) in the everlasting love b side at 1:39 i think.

Back
Top Bottom