Last Night On Earth Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
Ok, well as much as I have been bashing how KC sucks in terms of artists and music and midnight sales etc etc, I have to say, we did get a single filmed here. LNOE.

However, I watched it for the first time tonight and it's strange. I mean, it's so odd that I'm not sure as to if I like it. And what is the significance of the man at the end of the video?

For those who have seen it, I'd love to get some comments on the video. Thanks.

The guy at the end is William Burroughs. Have no idea why he's there.

And the mayor of KC at the time said it was a mistake to shut down the freeways for the band. He said he would never do anything like that again. go figure.

It's awesome, it's like a movie starring U2!!!

It actually reminds me alot of the Canadian film, "Last Night"

When I saw that movie in Film class it reminded me of this song/video!

anyone else catch this movie??????

I've always considered it a fun video. Compared to most videos it was weird, yes; it was stylish, yes; it was risky. I have fun trying to find the symbolism, but if you want the theories behind it just watch the commentary on the DVD. I think the director explains what they were attempting to achieve.

The video works better in parts with 'Staring at the Sun'...in my opinion...

Originally posted by
The video works better in parts with 'Staring at the Sun'...in my opinion...

Yeah, I agree. Wasn't this video originally supposed to be for Staring at the Sun but was changed at last minute? I think that the director of the video revealed that in the commentary track on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD. I don't remember. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the goo on the old dude's hand towards the end of the video? I never got that

visually staring at the sun is my favorite U2 video. its so simple, the only tricks are with light and the camera, and as a 3rd year photography student i really enjoy it.

i think the goo is representative of blood or death or something.... i think they were trying to copy the godfather, except in the godfather it was oranges which represented death, while in this video it was lemons if i recall correctly

I've loved this video from the first time i saw it! It reminds of those sci-fi films from the late '50's and early '60's, like War of the Worlds.... I dug the they way a lemon cart was toppled over, and how Edge stole the car. It was surrealistic fun!

I'm not sure about William Borough's significance in it though...

Back
Top Bottom