Last Night on Earth (First Night in Hell remix)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
WTF??

Could one of you musical types explain how exactly this remix relates to the original song? I'm guessing it's got the same chord progression or something..

SkeeK dear, I have no idea what you're talking about, LOL...but I do have a question for you in my Slide Away thread. Would you mind checking that one?
wink.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

I like it too.. when i originally downloaded it it was on napster labled as U2 instrumental or something, and I thought maybe it was from the Captive soundtrack or something like that, and only later discovered it was supposedly a remix of Last Night on Earth.

I never heard of that mix...I'm curious now!!

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 10-27-2001).]

I own the CD single with that remix. When it was released, fans on WIRE stated that it could have been a remix from ANY U2 song as it sounded nothing like the original - and I mean NOTHING like it. I agree - there is no hint of the original in this remix to my ears. There are no lyrics and it sounds like something from the Passengers rather than U2.

This isn't to say it is bad. However, since it is the only official remix of this song, it does seem a bit of a dis-service. I think I would have appreciated this remix more if there were several other versions that were a bit closer to the original. Then, this very unique version would have stood out as a refreshing change (much like the numerous remixes for "Elevation" or "Mysterious Ways").

------------------
dwlogo3.jpg

A proud member of the "No BEALs Club."

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 10-27-2001).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:
There are no lyrics and it sounds like something from the Passengers rather than U2.
ummm, I think there actually are some lyrics in this mix and those are "Last Night on Earth"

so that could be seen as a hint

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

*runs to listen to the remix now to verify...

Let me know what you discover. I'm too busy listening to the Warrior and the princess soundtrack to listen to anything else.

female vocals "Last night on earth"

that's what he'll discover

------------------
Salome

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Let me know what you discover. I'm too busy listening to the Warrior and the princess soundtrack to listen to anything else.

Well, just listened to it and as usual, Salome is wrong. Why don't we have moderators that actually KNOW their U2 music before they comment?
mad.gif

(J/K Salome - gotta tease the all-powerful moderators.
biggrin.gif
)

There are plenty of moans in the song, but I do not consider those "lyrics." Also, the moans are mostly female (there may be some heavily disguised male moans as well), but none of Bono's original singing is present.

The remix is entitled "First Night in Hell" and it lives up to its name. It follows the "POP" pattern of being VERY, VERY dark and with the absence of God the focus (rather than the usual glimmer of hope that U2 often provides). The remix sounds like the way a lost soul might feel in his/her first night in the underworld - dark, lost, afraid and lonely.

There are plenty of moans in the song, but I do not consider those "lyrics."
you can consider all that you want, but you're still WRONG

------------------
Salome

Originally posted by Salome:
you can consider all that you want, but you're still WRONG

No, you are - because you wrote:

ummm, I think there actually are some lyrics in this mix and those are "Last Night on Earth"
so that could be seen as a hint

While one may argue whether a moan is a lyric or not, the fact remains that it is impossible to tell what remix this song is for based on those moans.

So admit it - you are wrong and deserve to be mocked until Skeek's voice is raw.
biggrin.gif

So admit it - you are wrong and deserve to be mocked until Skeek's voice is raw.
biggrin.gif

Which will be especially long because I probably won't bother to do the mocking.

biggrin.gif

I'll admit nothing at all, 'cause you are WRONG

------------------
Salome

Back
Top Bottom