Larrys decline on the fly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
Anyone noticed how different the drums are on the Chicago live recording of the Fly and The Zoo TV version. The drums on the original live version sound way better than the latter version. Is this because of Larrys back problems that they completely change the drums. I know that the drum sound is totally different between the 2 versions but the Zoo TV version has a more complex pattern where as the Chicago version is just a basic pattern. It totally changes the song and not for the better. Although the Chicago version has its moments, the Zoo TV version is far superior.

To me, I view the chicago drum pattern as a simplisitic version compared to the complicated versions of Zoo TV.

I'm guessing it is due to larry's erratic back, but I also feel the mix of the chicago dvd is probably the best official one that is out there, especially the adam & larry part of the song. The bass is high in the mix and Larry's drum part complements it.

Elevation Fly is notable mainly because of Edge's brillant inventiveness with guitar sounds, especially the transcendal, out of this world solo after the second verse. The rhythm section is sadly muted in this version, overpowered by Edge's turn up to 11 approach. Not that this is a bad thing, what makes U2 a great live band is their ability to continually reinvent their songs everytime they tour .

The Fly has only gone downhill, IMO, from its prime on ZooTV. On Elevation we lost the great sound of the guitar we had on ZooTV (probably my favorite), and on Vertigo we lost the Bono voice and great drums.

The ZooTV version was simple to the untrained ear, but the beat he has on the tom-toms is actually quite complicated, and when done right, a great sound for the song.

ZooTV was the best version of The Fly, bar none. The ONLY thing Elevation has going for it is the intro.

''the beat he has on the tom-toms is actually quite complicated' :huh: ?

I always thought this beat was pre-recorded when they played it live on Zoo TV

phillyfan26 said:
Nope, the cymbal sound is pre-recorded. Watch the video, he's playing it.

Yer damn right. One of the main points of the original sound of the Fly and everything from Achtung Baby was the amazing rhythm section and especially the drums. Live versions of The Fly from Zoo TV just have that special rawness and the rhythm section on songs like The Fly set U2 apart from any band. Latest versions of the Fly when using a simplistic drum pattern have detracted from the song. Maybe why U2's songs since 2000 have lacked imagination is the fact that Larry is not the same drummer he once was. Maybe due to his back problems, unfortunately.

phillyfan26 said:
The Fly has only gone downhill, IMO, from its prime on ZooTV. On Elevation we lost the great sound of the guitar we had on ZooTV (probably my favorite), and on Vertigo we lost the Bono voice and great drums.

The ZooTV version was simple to the untrained ear, but the beat he has on the tom-toms is actually quite complicated, and when done right, a great sound for the song.

ZooTV was the best version of The Fly, bar none. The ONLY thing Elevation has going for it is the intro.

Another brilliant post, phillyfan. The biggest change seems to be that the song is less sinister. The ZooTV version was perfect with Edge doing the fat lady and Bono singing like a burnt out rocker. Your right about the guitar, Bono's voice and the drums but don't forget about the bass. Adam's bass seems better on the ZooTV version for some reason. Of the Achtung Baby songs done on Vertigo, The Fly seemed to be least impressive.

Fly from Vertigo Sao Paulo is flawless

:drool: :drool:

So fucking Amazing .......... "Where's the Fly "

Then The intro comes kicking everythin

I don' t think its do to any "decline" or back problems. U2 rearrange songs all the time. "Bullet The Blue Sky" changes with every tour, especially the way Larry and Adam approach it. And usually the new arrangement tends to compliment the tour so the older songs fit in with the new. I think perhaps for the Vertigo tour, Larry sat behind the kit and thought about how he would approach the song if the band had written it in 2005. So the beat became more of a driving rock (ala HTDAAB) rhythm and less of a pulsating/pounding thing. Of course not all the older songs can be rearranged so drastically. "New Years Day" is always gonna sound like "New Years Day" etc. But they even messed with "I Will Follow" for PopMart so all bets are off as far as sacred cow songs.

But getting back to the original post, no, I don't think its a decline. Drummers tend to improve with age, especially if they play as often as Larry does. His playing has changed, his style has changed and developed but that's only natural. Most drummers start out playing too many fills and trying too hard. With time and experience, you learn more subtle ways to serve the song and usually that means doing less of the flashy stuff.

That said, just as a subjective thing... my personal favorite is the ZOO TV version. It's just more fun to play.

what skott100 said is right on the money... but it wasn't THAT weird...

go listen Lady with the Spinning Head... is the same drum beat as The Fly 05-06

(in part because The Fly was crafted FROM LWTSH, along with Ultraviolet)

It's a great version, especially the finale, really eclectic and rock and roll and just exstasy... as powerfull (if not more) as ZooTv's Desire ending

for me it's a tie between ZooTV's Fly and Vertigo's Fly... sometimes the "no cymbals-tomtom" part of ZooTV bores me, but it is powerfull...
In the Vertigo one I miss the tambourine, you can hear it loud and clear on Zoo TV

skott100 said:
I don' t think its do to any "decline" or back problems. U2 rearrange songs all the time. "Bullet The Blue Sky" changes with every tour, especially the way Larry and Adam approach it. And usually the new arrangement tends to compliment the tour so the older songs fit in with the new. I think perhaps for the Vertigo tour, Larry sat behind the kit and thought about how he would approach the song if the band had written it in 2005. So the beat became more of a driving rock (ala HTDAAB) rhythm and less of a pulsating/pounding thing. Of course not all the older songs can be rearranged so drastically. "New Years Day" is always gonna sound like "New Years Day" etc. But they even messed with "I Will Follow" for PopMart so all bets are off as far as sacred cow songs.

But getting back to the original post, no, I don't think its a decline. Drummers tend to improve with age, especially if they play as often as Larry does. His playing has changed, his style has changed and developed but that's only natural. Most drummers start out playing too many fills and trying too hard. With time and experience, you learn more subtle ways to serve the song and usually that means doing less of the flashy stuff.

That said, just as a subjective thing... my personal favorite is the ZOO TV version. It's just more fun to play.
:up:

Sorry, I don’t mean to change the subject matter but I just loved the post. This is why I like the drums from the 402 beach clip song compared with the 404 clip. 402 has drum fills but they are spaced nicely within the song and are not over cooked. 404 sounds to cluttered and unsure drum wise. And the way you describe how the band
Change the song to fit in with the latest release is a revelation to me!

Elevation Fly is probably my favourite. That intro is absolutely amazing. If it were possible to combine the music of that version with the visual production of Zoo TV... :drool:

IMO, the ZooTV version and the Elevation tour versions both have their good points. I much prefer Larry's drumming on the '92/'93 version but I like The Edge's "heavy" processed guitar sound on the '01 version as well as the a capella intro by Bono on that version. While I like the '05 Vertigo tour version as well, I find the simpler drumming as well as Adam's rather out of place bassline during the intro to the song to detract from that version. Oh, and especially on the Vertigo tour version, Bono's awful dry guitar sound (and playing) does the song no favors. I suspect he plays more to just help himself sing the song in tune more than anything else. Live, it was pretty tough to make out Bono's playing in the mix especially in '92/'93, but on the Vertigo dvd, his guitar is way up front and just kills the song.

T.B.

Euh Bono's vocals are being transformed by some sort of computer thing on this tour i believe.

They intended to do that and it sounds very cool really.

i don't think larry's back problems have stopped him from doing much of anything. he's larry fuckin' mullen for cryin out loud!

I really like all the versions. Reminds me of how Bullet always gets reinvented for each tour as well. I'll go weeks or months listening to one particular version of the Fly (live) and, out of the blue, I'll switch to another Fly from another period and ride that train for whatever time. I love that these songs get reinvented all the time. It is a great characteristic of U2 when it comes to their live performances. Sure, there might be a reinvention that you don't like, but know that the future holds more changes whether they be minor or major.

It is very clear that Larry is declining.... have a look at Rattle and Hum, he was hitting the drum, now he has more experience, but tend to be lazy.... he doesn't hit as many notes as before. Listen to I will follow, Mysterious Ways, The Fly (except the awsome ending on Vertigo Tour)..... many others as well.... I doubt it's back problems, he's just saving some motions.....:wink:

The problem with Elevation is two things: Edge's guitar sounds awful compared to ZooTV and it's missing the sound of the backing guitar and Bono's deep vocals.

phillyfan26 said:
The problem with Elevation is two things: Edge's guitar sounds awful compared to ZooTV and it's missing the sound of the backing guitar and Bono's deep vocals.

Edge's guitar has never, since Zoo TV, had the wah wah fuzz except for the versions of Mysterious Ways they do now. I think he's just forgotten how great that sound was. The Hendrix influenced wah wah was probably Edge at his peak. It was what made the solo on The Fly sound so great but he aint used it on the Fly since the Zoo TV tour. Anyway who says Mullen is the same creative drummer now as he was back in the late 80's and early 90's has shit hearing. He was the most original sounding drummer back then and Achtung Baby is proof of this. His drumming now sounds like every other 2 bit drummer. It's not just the 90's either. For further proof have a listen to " A sort of Homecoming" live from the Wide Awake In America mini cd and tell me, could Mullen do that now. Me thinks not!

i like all versions, basically, because they different! zootv version was great but it was nice to higher the key for elevation.
as for larry, his back could be the reason for change in drumline. that and his wrist problems could be why they dont they songs like i threw a brick no more. shame :(

Larry?
Decline?

Larry doesn't smile, incline, decline, I don't think you can describe L-Mull with any kind of action word.

I love all evolutions of The Fly and really can't see any sort of decline.

I loved the Vertigo Fly. The Fly has always come across differently on film as in the flesh for me, particularly Zoo TV and Vertigo. The Zoo TV Fly was (in Bono's words) a performance piece which I loved but felt was quite flat and clunky and distant from the audience when stood in a stadium (I know it looks awesome on film), I felt that Vertigo Fly worked great outdoors (I never saw it indoors). The intro and outro in particular were stunning and ther overall performance made a bigger impact IMHO.

Agreed, the audience from the clips I've seen weren't into The Fly as much during 92/93.

Back
Top Bottom