Larrys decline on the fly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a drummer... on a U2 tribute band... the logo is my photo :D

the ZooTV version is actually quite boring to play... it only gets exciting around the end, and trust me, it's not tiring... MAYBE the constant bass drumming... but other than that, not that much

to play, the Vertigo vesion is a lot more fun to play... you get to move more

the Elevation version... is like a combination... and it's a little dull, really

Bonochick said:

U2Man, please stop acting like a moderator. Feel free to report posts to us, and we'll handle it.

i wasnt trying to act like a moderator. i just thought that since i cant recall coolian2 being offensive before, we might as well solve it out between us instead of telling the mods and occupy your time.

U2Man said:

i wasnt trying to act like a moderator. i just thought that since i cant recall coolian2 being offensive before, we might as well solve it out between us instead of telling the mods and occupy your time.

Well....if you were actually insulted by what i said - which i find hard to believe (plus what i said was in the tone of the site - ie joking) then sorry.

I'll rephrase my original post:

You lie.

out of curiosity
for the people who think the Zoo TV version was the best-

how many of you actually went to the Zoo TV tour
because - to be quite honest - I found it quite impossible back then to decipher a song out of the amount of noise that was made (sounded about 300 times better on any recording than it actually did live)

the Vertigo version is by far the best for me because it's the only one where I could actually make out the song while at the show

as for the drumming
I hardly even noticed a change when I was at the shows

Alright, depending on personal preference, some may like ZooTV version more but regardless, I think many of you are confusing different versions (different arrangements, including Bono's singing) with quality of performance...just because you don't like the drumming, singing, guitar or bass doesn't make it worse, it just makes it different! very simple!

and more to the point, the drumming from ZooTV that many of you claim is more complex or whatever is really not, it's just different! I know the drums to both versions and the ZooTV version is not complex at all, but brilliant nonetheless! In fact, I would go so far as to say that in many aspects of the song, the drums are more complex and more intense than the ZooTV version, but that is debatable of course.

I really don't understand people who say Larry isn't the same drummer...he keeps better time now than ever and has an unbelievable ability to improve on older songs. As stated above, usually drummers improve with age..this really isn't debatable in my mind...The one thing I would be curious to see however, is Larry playing a song like In God's Country on the next tour...yes we've seen some pretty fast stuff recently, but In God's Country really showcases Larry's supreme accuracy at a fast tempo.

On a side note, Larry's use of the toms is absolutely mind-boggling and has been for many years! My favorite drummer! :)

Last edited:
Well, "The Fly" is going downhill, folks. During ZOO TV it was a fast stomping, agressive drum, bass & guitar explosion – with Bono giving everything. In 2001 the intro idea was nice, but the words much too often got lost in distortions. Now, Bono sung it more tired than ever – nice effects, a nice coda, but the lyrics, folks, the lyrics ...

anybody wanna email me their prime cuts of the fly live? are there any versions out there that sound as good as the bullet the blue sky/love is blindness live cuts on the stay single?

if you feel generous t8thgr8@hotmail.com :)

I thought the Elevation version was boring. JUst me.

Vertigo to me is the best Fly! I love the drums there! And I especially like the end...very reminiscent of the end of the end of WHen Love Comes To Town on the RnH video, just great!

phillyfan26 said:
The Fly has only gone downhill, IMO, from its prime on ZooTV. On Elevation we lost the great sound of the guitar we had on ZooTV (probably my favorite), and on Vertigo we lost the Bono voice and great drums.

The ZooTV version was simple to the untrained ear, but the beat he has on the tom-toms is actually quite complicated, and when done right, a great sound for the song.

ZooTV was the best version of The Fly, bar none. The ONLY thing Elevation has going for it is the intro.

How did we lose Bono's voice on a song he mostly whispers? Don't tell me - his whispering voice is now gone too. :rolleyes:

:sexywink:

I have a Boston version of the song from the Vertigo tour which I adore. Bono's voice is great (although he did repeat one verse twice - get that man some ginseng!) and Edge has this fantastic intro where his echo effect is in overdrive.

Is it as good as ZOO TV? No, but then, I feel that U2 always showcase their new songs best on their most immediate tour. "With or Without You" was best on the JT tour (and the Lovetown extension). "Elevation" and "Beautiful Day" were best on the Elevation Tour. Sometimes U2 do mix things up enough and create a new great version (the softer opening of "Sunday Bloody Sunday", for example, or the funked up version of "Bullet the Blue Sky" on PopMart), but typically I think the new material is exciting to them - so they have more energy for it. On subsequent tours, it's not as fresh and the enthusiasm is lower.

Bono wasn't whispering the lyrics on the ZooTV version. He was using a half speaking, half singing kind of voice, but it was hardly whispering.

bono did not lose anything as far as vocals go...the fly is not even a challenging song to sing at all...he just CHANGED THE WAY he sang it

doctorwho, i disagree with you in some respects...

Beautiful Day was waaaaayy better on vertigo tour..just one example is in japan, december 4th, much better than beautiful day on elevation tour

other songs too but that is the first one that comes to mind

also keep in mind how strong bono's voice is nowadays..that has a lot to do with it...

Lastly, I don't think U2 "have more energy" for newer songs... I've seen tired versions of new songs and old songs, but that is natural, it's been happening since the 80's

I don't understand what the fuss is about the vertigo tour fly, it's simply another version! :)

doctorwho said:

How did we lose Bono's voice on a song he mostly whispers? Don't tell me - his whispering voice is now gone too. :rolleyes:

:sexywink:

I have a Boston version of the song from the Vertigo tour which I adore. Bono's voice is great (although he did repeat one verse twice - get that man some ginseng!) and Edge has this fantastic intro where his echo effect is in overdrive.

Is it as good as ZOO TV? No, but then, I feel that U2 always showcase their new songs best on their most immediate tour. "With or Without You" was best on the JT tour (and the Lovetown extension). "Elevation" and "Beautiful Day" were best on the Elevation Tour. Sometimes U2 do mix things up enough and create a new great version (the softer opening of "Sunday Bloody Sunday", for example, or the funked up version of "Bullet the Blue Sky" on PopMart), but typically I think the new material is exciting to them - so they have more energy for it. On subsequent tours, it's not as fresh and the enthusiasm is lower.

Uh, he whispered on the album version. He had a really deep voice going in Zoo TV that I actually enjoyed.

Zoo TV is the best, Vertigo pretty good (better outro) at second, and Elevation's only good part is the intro.

The best version of the song they could have would be the Zoo TV guitar tone with the Elevation intro and the Vertigo outro. Zoo TV vocals and Zoo TV or Vertigo drums (whatever, two different takes), Adam's bass on Vertigo is better too. Wow, that's a ramble, so in summary:

Bono - Zoo TV
Edge - Zoo TV tone, Elevation intro, Vertigo outro
Adam - Vertigo
Larry - Zoo TV or Vertigo

interesting...listen to the Boston DVD 2001 version of the fly, that is, in my opinion, the greatest fly solo the edge has ever ever done...if you haven't listened to it you need to, it's unbelievable...

after listening to the fly on zooTV, the guitar sounds so much weaker..that boston one sounds fuller, and just stronger all around, tone and everything...

Salome said:
out of curiosity
for the people who think the Zoo TV version was the best-

how many of you actually went to the Zoo TV tour? ... the Vertigo version is by far the best for me because it's the only one where I could actually make out the song while at the show

as for the drumming
I hardly even noticed a change when I was at the shows

I went to more than one show back then – and yes, ZOO TV is by far the best version. Even better than the rest might be the performance from Dublin '93, 2nd night, when Bono's guitar was plugged in and audible in the mix. This giving the guitar duelling plus one of the best vocal performances of the whole tour is near to perfect. This sound of the whole band rockiing the tune's heart out hasn't even been reached by later performances of the song ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

I went to more than one show back then – and yes, ZOO TV is by far the best version. Even better than the rest might be the performance from Dublin '93, 2nd night, when Bono's guitar was plugged in and audible in the mix. This giving the guitar duelling plus one of the best vocal performances of the whole tour is near to perfect. This sound of the whole band rockiing the tune's heart out hasn't even been reached by later performances of the song ...

Indeed...Zoo TV Fly is the best Fly live version.
I think the Dublin 08-28-93 version is just:drool:

Also I think Stay from the Dublin 08-28-93 is one of the best Stay`s out there.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Elevation Fly might be the single most overrated thing in this entire forum.

That guitar tone is so awful compared to Zoo TV. So awful. I can't express how much it's butchered.

Mauwer said:

Indeed...Zoo TV Fly is the best Fly live version.
I think the Dublin 08-28-93 version is just:drool:

Also I think Stay from the Dublin 08-28-93 is one of the best Stay`s out there.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

There you go – couldn't agree more ...

any version of the fly is ace. vertigo, elevation, zootv... you name it. quality stuff.

J_NP said:
Fly from Vertigo Sao Paulo is flawless

:drool: :drool:

So fucking Amazing .......... "Where's the Fly "

Then The intro comes kicking everythin

That version kicks more ass than Chuck Norris.

phillyfan26 said:
Elevation Fly might be the single most overrated thing in this entire forum.

That guitar tone is so awful compared to Zoo TV. So awful. I can't express how much it's butchered.

hmm...i completely disagree...I really doubt edge went around touring, playing the fly with a "butchered" guitar tone...haha, i think you simply PREFER the zooTV version :wink:

I love the Elevation version for the intro alone ... I don't really have an opinion on Edge's guitar tone or solo or anything like that. The opening makes the song, for me.

That being said, I think the Zoo TV version is the best overall.

Back
Top Bottom