Larry Wrote "Numb"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaraU2

Babyface
Talk about your "everything you know is wrong" topic...

On WIRE I read the following:
"Larry has only been officially credited for vocals on the backing for Numb. The rest of the band forced him to because he was the one who wrote the lyrics and tune for the chorus."

Is this correct? I always thought that Edge wrote "Numb" completely. I thought that Larry did some minor backing vocals, but that most were done by Bono (like all those obviously Bono falsettos). However, did Larry actually WRITE "Numb"?

The statement implies that Larry wrote the lyrics and tune for the CHORUS of Numb, NOT the entire song.

Bono shouldn't complain....

Well....there's an example of Larry using the other side of his brain!!! :wink: Pre-Passengers!!

HelloAngel said:
The statement implies that Larry wrote the lyrics and tune for the CHORUS of Numb, NOT the entire song.

And as I wrote, I thought Edge wrote the ENTIRE song. Does anyone know for sure if Larry did indeed write some lyrics?

Thanks! :D

Larry wrote the "I feel numb" backing vocals that he sings. That's all lyrically that he added to the song. I doubt he came up with the guitar part or anything. And he probably came up with the drums. Edge is credited with the lyrics on the inner sleeve and I don't believe Adam even plays bass on Numb since if you listen to the bassline it's incredibly fast and steady and he didn't stay on stage when they played it live either. Numb is one weird U2 song thats for sure.

Achtung Zooropa said:
Larry wrote the "I feel numb" backing vocals that he sings. That's all lyrically that he added to the song.
it's the best part of the song though

Salome said:
it's the best part of the song though

:yes: I was SO excited when I learned that he sang that part...That meant a U2 song with three of the four guys contributing vocally...Oh, joy! :happy:

Quotes taken from: "U2 - Into The Heart" by Niall Stokes

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Numb
(Edge)... came across a song called "Down All the Days" that had been intended for Achtung Baby, but didn't make the cut. He liked the backing track, with it's loop taken from the passage in Leni Riefenstahl's Nazi propaganda film Triumph of the Will...

"One day he was just mucking around and did the idea of the deapan style over it", Flood recalls. .... "with Bono doing the high stuff afterwards, and Eno adding the arcade sounds on the keyboards."

Edge had become more involved in the lyric writing, acting at times as Bono's editor... 'Numb', however was his own.

Bono told Hot Press .... "It's arcade music .... it's us trying to get inside somebody's head. So you hear a football crowd, a line of don'ts, kitch soul singing, and Larry - who had come up with the melody for the hook - singing for the first time in that context.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it. No lyrics for Larry, but some melody. :)

This book is awesome! I love my wife. :love:

Se7en said:

It was just the Edge on stage with a pre-recorded backing track.

and lots of cool videos. :yes: Wasn't that when the rest of the guys would take the opportunity to go backstage and change into different outfits? I am blanking. :huh:

sulawesigirl4 said:

and lots of cool videos. :yes: Wasn't that when the rest of the guys would take the opportunity to go backstage and change into different outfits? I am blanking. :huh:

I think it was so the crew could set up the "b-stage" and allow the boys to get in position. As I recall, Edge catches a ride from the camera car thingy down the runway after he finishes numb.

I love to hear Larry's voice singing that part... if you listen really closely towards the end of the song you can hear him saying it, not singing, but spoken... and on the Soul Assassins (sic?) remix of the song Bono's voice isn't there at all and you can hear Larry's voice saying "I feel numb" again and again, so sexy!

Last edited:
flaming june said:
I love to hear Larry's voice singing that part... if you listen really closely towards the end of the song you can hear him saying it, not singing, but spoken... and on the Soul Assassins (sic?) remix of the song Bono's voice isn't there at all and you can hear Larry's voice saying "I feel numb" again and again, so sexy!

:happy: Really? Haven't heard him saying it...I'll have to listen again!

you too?!?!?!

wertsie said:

:yes: I was SO excited when I learned that he sang that part...That meant a U2 song with three of the four guys contributing vocally...Oh, joy! :happy:

i just about lost it myself!:happy:

Actually Adam does play on the live version of Numb. He just stands on the way back of teh stage next to Larry in the darkness.....they dont even put a spotlight on him, but he does play on thje live version!!! And of course so does Larry, so there isnt much of a backing track on the live version of that song.

Back
Top Bottom