Larry on live versions of A Sort Of Homecoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alannahvox

Acrobat
His drumming is amazing.

Especially on Wide Awake in America.

I love the drums at the end of the part where Bono sings "O com-away..."

That song is in my U2 Top 5. I prefer the recorded version on The Unforgettable Fire over the live version on Wide Awake In America, but the live version isn't bad, it's just that the recorded version just sends me flying, away to a fantastic place.

However, I will now go home tonight, pop in Wide Awake In America and listen for the drumming after the "Oh come away, O come . . . ".

I'm sure it is amazing.

one of my all time favorites...I get a rush from it everytime I have a listen.

ooh yeah... on that track (live) he is using some drums not usually found on a standard rock kit, i believe there were some latin drums and other percussive things which really add another dimension to the song... larry, thats why i love you - your approach to drums is (was?) so artistic

The most underrated song , at least from UF , while many people praise Bad over and over , I think this one is the real 'soul' song on it . Edge's guitar playing :drool: BTW did you know that a lot of chords in it , are the same of streets , which were used again for JT . Bono's passionate singing together with Edge's vocal , that "Tonnigght......" :drool: Bloody Fantastic ..........

brilliant song, perhaps my favourite U2 song
always thought the live version was downright disappointing compared to the album version though

I'm glad to see so many others love this song too. The live version really is "firing on all cylinders" as Nate Dogg put it.

It's all personal preference, but I think the live version is much much better than the album. The intro and the buildup to the "tooonniiiight!...." is truly amazing. Also, the live version seems to be a lot faster, which I like
Also, the guitar is MUCH better on the live version, as is the drums.

Hmm... Has anybody ever heard a bootleg version of ASOH that sounds remotely as good as the "live" version on Wide Awake In America? It is well known that this version is part studio / part actually live. I've heard lots of UF era concerts and to me they never really got ASOH right. If only they really could play it like the version on Wide Awake In America.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
It's all personal preference, but I think the live version is much much better than the album. The intro and the buildup to the "tooonniiiight!...." is truly amazing. Also, the live version seems to be a lot faster, which I like
Also, the guitar is MUCH better on the live version, as is the drums.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

It wasnt the studio , but the LIVE version that inspired me to play it.

Back
Top Bottom