Larry Mullen Jnr. vs. Philip Selway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yawn....not another thread kissing Radioheads butt..

Just cause you feel it doesnt mean its there....

U2Man said:
It seems so far, Phil leads this 3-1. A bit surprising, considering that this is a U2 board :hmm:

I don't even like Radiohead, but I'll throw in a vote for this guy anyway. I'd vote for a three year old whacking a rattle on the floor over Larry.

Axver said:

I don't even like Radiohead, but I'll throw in a vote for this guy anyway. I'd vote for a three year old whacking a rattle on the floor over Larry.

really?

U2Man said:

Well, maybe not if we were talking about early eighties Larry. There's some cool stuff happening on October and War, and a few glimmers of goodness on UF, JT, and sort of on RAH.

As far as post-1990 Larry goes? He needs to find a new day job.

I think I'm gonna throw a vote for Larry. Just listen to Sunday Bloody Sunday, not many drummers can play like that :drool:

This means that Phil leads this 5-2. 5-3 if we count brau's sarcasm as a vote for Larry :wink:

U2Man said:
I think I'm gonna throw a vote for Larry. Just listen to Sunday Bloody Sunday, not many drummers can play like that :drool:

See, Larry was a very interesting drummer up until about 1989! I'd vote for Larry too if we were only considering his drumming for the first couple of albums. Everything from about 1991 and onwards has been standard stuff that anyone can do. He's not quite as creative as he used to be.

By the way, just to clarify, I don't think Phil's all that impressive either. There are a few songs that he shines on, but for the most part, he's also quite average.

(IMO! :drool: Don't you love how you have to add IMO to everything here?)

I've seen both Larry and Phil been called average drummers in this thread. If that is so, who do you regard as amazing drummers then?

U2Man said:
I've seen both Larry and Phil been called average drummers in this thread. If that is so, who do you regard as amazing drummers then?
Prog rock drummers because they have solos and can play really fast :yawn:

U2Man said:

MIKE PORTNOY.

I don't think there's any competition with Portnoy. He's just too good at what he does. Just listen to the intro to 6:00! Sure, the guy may play prog metal, but he comes up with some immensely memorable stuff and knows songcraft as well as the technical aspects of drumming.

Axver said:

MIKE PORTNOY.

I don't think there's any competition with Portnoy. He's just too good at what he does. Just listen to the intro to 6:00! Sure, the guy may play prog metal, but he comes up with some immensely memorable stuff and knows songcraft as well as the technical aspects of drumming.

John Bonham > *

Regardless of technical skill (and he possessed it), nobody had a better musical sense. The random fills this guy threw in are just wonderful. It can't even be paired down to the old 'technical skill vs sloppyness' caveat that people go after Page's playing with. Bonham was loud, groovy, and perfect.

50% of the credit goes to Jimmy Page's ace studio production though.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:

John Bonham > *

Regardless of technical skill (and he possessed it), nobody had a better musical sense. The random fills this guy threw in are just wonderful. It can't even be paired down to the old 'technical skill vs sloppyness' caveat that people go after Page's playing with. Bonham was loud, groovy, and perfect.

50% of the credit goes to Jimmy Page's ace studio production though.

Meh, I don't think much of Bonham. I certainly don't think he had either the technical skill or musical sense of Portnoy.

And certainly nobody has as cool a drumkit as Portnoy. :wink:

If we're talking about great drummers, then Keith Moon and Neil Pert deserve mention. Nick Mason is also awesometastic.

Hell, even Ringo was a good drummer, listen to Tomorrow Never Knows, The End, and Strawberry Fields Forever.

But Larry vs. Phil? Apples & Oranges.

(oh, what about Jimmy Chamberlin from The Smashing Pumpkins? :drool: )

LemonMacPhisto said:

(oh, what about Jimmy Chamberlin from The Smashing Pumpkins? :drool: )

:up:

I find it hard to rank drummers; good drumming just seems to go hand-in-hand with a great song. However, it's interesting how some of the amazing experimental work from Radiohead and U2 happened when Larry and Phil were actually replaced with bloops and bleeps.

Back
Top Bottom