Larry is the only one who did not elevate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
I am thrilled with this album already and it has to be in their top 4 at the very least.

I have to say however, that Larry is the only one who did not elevate his game to the very highest level.

Everyone else is blasting off and I don't really hear anything incredibly fresh or strong on the drums here.

I hope someone can prove me wrong as I am sure I will get flamed. Please point out unique breaks, beats, timing, etc if you want to flame me. I want to be wrong!

PLEASE, anyway disagreeing:

BE SPECIFIC. Exactly what do you like about certain songs? What is unique?

A certain timing or break?

Quote the exact second or anything.

I want to be wrong so please be exact - not just "XYZ song is great!" or "Larry is great on the record"

What the hell are you talking about!?!? Listen to Larry on All Because Of You, the man is rocking it big fucking time!! And listen to City Of Blinding Lights, it's one of his finest moments on a U2 song to me. And he is kicking major ass on LAPOE in my opinion. His drumming on this record is actually pretty dynamic. A lot more than ATYCLB and Pop. He is great in Yahweh and obviously on Vertigo. Hold on a second I think this might be one of his best records!!! :yes:

WHAT the HELL are YOU talking about??!

I mentioned the word specific in my last post like 3 times and there was not one specific thing mentioned in your post.

HELP ME TO BELIEVE - not just - "song XYZ is great and song ABC kicks ass"

Won't someone give me a specific example PLEASE? I feel like everyone is proving me right here :(

The beat on LAPOE is my favorite on the album. It's also (at this point) my favorite song on the album. After more listens who knows, I may change my mind. I agree with what StlElevation said, they ALL own this album.

redhill said:
WHAT the HELL are YOU talking about??!

I mentioned the word specific in my last post like 3 times and there was not one specific thing mentioned in your post.

HELP ME TO BELIEVE - not just - "song XYZ is great and song ABC kicks ass"

Won't someone give me a specific example PLEASE? I feel like everyone is proving me right here :(

Can't you just LISTEN to the songs like everyone else is?! You won't need no scientific formula. Just pay attention to the drums, especially COBL. :eyebrow: It’s all right there, some songs he has recorded two kinds of drumming I think, like on Yahweh. He is using brushes I think, kinda like he did with Drowning Man! He is playing a very hard beat on ABOY, which accentuates Edge’s riff making the song more exciting and rock n’ roll in my opinion. Like he did on All Along The Watchtower. There are other stuff too. As I said it’s all there.

TheBrazilianFly said:

Can't you just LISTEN to the songs like everyone else is?! You won't need no scientific formula. Just pay attention to the drums, especially COBL. :eyebrow: It’s all right there, some songs he has recorded two kinds of drumming I think, like on Yahweh. He is using brushes I think, kinda like he did with Drowning Man! He is playing a very hard beat on ABOY, which accentuates Edge’s riff making the song more exciting and rock n’ roll in my opinion. Like he did on All Along The Watchtower. There are other stuff too. As I said it’s all there.

THANK YOU for being more specific. Yahweh does have some nice finesse - you have helped me to appreciate that... did not notice.

COBL does not seem extra special in regards to drums - what do you like about it?

ABOY - I am listening now and the cymbal crashes are very nice.... a nice pattern there and one of his most intricate cymbal crash patterns ever actually.... i am no drummer so I can't explain it any better...

I hope you are saying that in a vain attempt to get me riled up and are not being serious.

If you are being serious then you may have ADHD.

Good luck with that. I think I may have it myself sometimes but I sure wish you would read how the thread started.

Larry ROCKS DUDE!

redhill said:

THANK YOU for being more specific. Yahweh does have some nice finesse - you have helped me to appreciate that... did not notice.

COBL does not seem extra special in regards to drums - what do you like about it?

ABOY - I am listening now and the cymbal crashes are very nice.... a nice pattern there and one of his most intricate cymbal crash patterns ever actually.... i am no drummer so I can't explain it any better...

I'm not a drummer either so it's hard to describe it. :huh: Plus English in not my first language. :yikes: He seems to have recorded two kinds of drumming on COBL too, during the beginning before Bono starts singing, then it's just one kind. One is the usual deal the other one seems to be just the two sticks on the on the box thing (maybe he is using brushes there too...), I don't know if that makes sense. Listen to what he plays when Bono sings "And I'm getting ready for....." before "ooh, woo part", I like it. :shrug: He is also playing more on that big ass cymbal during the "You look so BEAUTIFUL!" which make its more special on my opinion. It's not like he is reinventing things there or being extremely different but sometimes just provide the right beat and know what NOT to put might be the best thing about a drummer. Larry is not a show off. Also his beat during the chorus on Miracle Drug “The sun…..” and ”My Miracle Drug…” and then when Edge starts his solo (the second one after the slide solo). He could have gone and used just “normal” beat but he is slightly more dynamic there like he was on October, make a whole lotta difference for me. Also he is using brushes on SYVMIOY, listen how he just hit that deal once (don’t know the name of that thing) during the “I need to let you know…”, it’s suave and cool. Plus he uses that big “boom-boom” sound that he used a lot on Hawkmoon. Understand what I mean? Those kinds of things always make those songs more epic and helps on the crescendo of the classic climax that some U2 songs have and this one definitely do. Larry is a big part of making that big ending on that song as he accelerates his beat! Also during Original Of The Species, at 2:59-3:09, that’s awesome. Note that after that moment this song too starts to grow even more and Larry is helping that happen. Also on Yahweh, during some of the vreses, those are VERY strong verses and Larry acentuaes some of the stuff Bono says by hitting the drums twice at some momments. That all counts to me. That’s all I have to say. You make me tired. Hope you understand what I tried to say. Need to rest now. :crack:

Last edited:
Near the three minute mark on "All Because of You", it sounds as if Larry picked up his drum set and started using it as a tamborine.

TheBrazilianFly said:

I'm not a drummer either so it's hard to describe it. :huh: Plus English in not my first language. :yikes: He seems to have recorded two kinds of drumming on COBL too, during the beginning before Bono starts singing, then it's just one kind. One is the usual deal the other one seems to be just the two sticks on the on the box thing (maybe he is using brushes there too...), I don't know if that makes sense. Listen to what he plays when Bono sings "And I'm getting ready for....." before "ooh, woo part", I like it. :shrug: He is also playing more on that big ass cymbal during the "You look so BEAUTIFUL!" which make its more special on my opinion. It's not like he is reinventing things there or being extremely different but sometimes just provide the right beat and know what NOT to put might be the best thing about a drummer. Larry is not a show off. Also his beat during the chorus on Miracle Drug “The sun…..” and ”My Miracle Drug…” and then when Edge starts his solo (the second one after the slide solo). He could have gone and used just “normal” beat but he is slightly more dynamic there like he is on October, make a whole lotta difference for me. Also he is using brushes on SYVMIOY, listen how he just hit that deal once (don’t know the name of that thing) during the “I need to let you know…”, it’s suave and cool. Plus he uses that big “boom-boom” sound that he used a lot on Hawkmoon. Understand what I mean? Those kinds of things always make those songs more epic and helps on the crescendo of the classic climax that some U2 songs have and this one definitely do. Larry is a big part of making that big ending on that song as he accelerates his beat! Also during Original Of The Species, at 2:59-3:09, that’s awesome. Note that after that moment this song too starts to grow even more and Larry is helping that happen. Also on Yahweh, during some of the vreses, those are VERY strong verses and Larry acentuaes some of the stuff Bono says by hitting the drums twice at some momments. That all counts to me. That’s all I have to say. You make me tired. Hope you understand what I tried to say. Need to rest now. :crack:

All I can say is THANKS. I will listen again to the album and look for all these things. This is exactly what I was looking for. Awesome and very observant of you. Thanks again and enjoy the album my friend.

ZigZag said:
Near the three minute mark on "All Because of You", it sounds as if Larry picked up his drum set and started using it as a tamborine.

Really starting to appreciate the drums on this one :)

redhill said:

Great contribution to the thread! How insightful!

Your own contributions have been quite shoddy enough..seriously, theres no need to post the equivalent of you rolling your eyes skyward every time someone doesn't post something up to your lofty standards. :)

Sleep Over Jack said:

Your own contributions have been quite shoddy enough..seriously, theres no need to post the equivalent of you rolling your eyes skyward every time someone doesn't post something up to your lofty standards. :)

I only did that once!

Again, please be specific! Making fun of myself here :)

It was just on second listen the drumming was not standing out and I was hoping to illicit some passionate responses so I could be sold on it.

Loving this album and want to love it more, thats all.

I completely understand your frustration on not being able to get specifics here, but that is just the way of a forum. I have been in vocal training for 16 years now and I am currently teaching vocals to students on a private level...I mention this because I had wanted to see what people thought about Bono's voice today vs. yesterday, and all I got were, "You are an idiot, Bono is cooler than the word cool...his voice is just as good now as ever, etc. etc. etc."

In the end just find the love you want for the album on your own, we are all just "schmucks" here on the forum anyway, what matters is your connection with all the elements of the album, be they the drums, or the (gulp) vocals.

Good luck on your journey!

RobVox

I haven't listened all the way through each song (sans Vertigo) and I have played the skins on ocassion so I will say this: Larry always played odd patterns and used his tom-toms in a way that most drummers don't. So to me it's refreshing to hear him play straight forward Rock drum patterns. It may not be "inventive" or "innovative," but it sure is nice to hear him "rawk" out a bit.

Listen to the snares right before the chorus on "Vertigo" he's smashing the sticks and putting everything he's got into it!

I'm a drummer but I don't find Larry's work boring or bad. It's just enough. Anyway, U2 is not the band that used to have huge drum solos in their songs.
Redhill: Would you tell me the U2 songs where you hear great drumming?

Back
Top Bottom