Larry considering leaving the band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZigZag

Acrobat
What the hell?

Interference.com : U2 Articles

(11-07-2004) U2 Drummer Considers Acting Career -- contactmusic*

U2 Drummer Considers Acting Career

U2 drummer LARRY MULLEN is considering leaving the Irish band to become an actor.

The WITH OR WITHOUT YOU rocker is thrilled he's in the world famous group, but since his 43rd birthday he's been tempted by the challenge of pursuing an alternative career, before he's too old.

Mullen explains, "I might take on a new challenge of doing some acting. I like the idea of going to it late.

"But the band is all I've ever wanted, and I get paid for it. I don't want to sound smug, but I've got the best job in the world."

"But different things come into play now that we've all got families. We don't have the freedom we once had."

--contactmusic

ZigZag said:
"But the band is all I've ever wanted, and I get paid for it. I don't want to sound smug, but I've got the best job in the world."

Why would anybody want to leave the best job in the world? :wink:

That statement alone makes me think that the idea of Larry leaving U2 to pursue an acting career is jumping the gun a bit.

Oh come on. :rolleyes:

I highly doubt it that Larry would get into acting. HIGHLY DOUBT IT.

As usual the journalist takes a snippet from the Sunday Times interview, and bang headline "Larry's becoming an Actor"

Oh brother.

Yeah, this is pretty dumb, but I can't believe that it would actually make the rounds.

the only truly weird thing for me is how Larry is quiet absent of this new record, I mean, drumming are pretty filler, unlike those awesome Edge guitars :( :ohmy: :sad:

this is weird, beacuase just the other night, i was thinking larry could be a great actor/model or something like that. i wouldnt get too alarmed, larry never actually said he'd leave the band. the atricle's writer is just assuming thats what he'd do.

Personally, I would take that "supposed" news story off this site's news section.

Please, just leave the Sunday Times article, but not 3 lines taken out of context as some "breaking news".

Last edited:
ponkine said:
the only truly weird thing for me is how Larry is quiet absent of this new record, I mean, drumming are pretty filler, unlike those awesome Edge guitars :( :ohmy: :sad:

:eyebrow: Don't think so. He is rocking pretty dman well on this new record. What do people want from him a drum solo?

Here you go, read this thread. Maybe it changes your mind: http://forum.interference.com/t101453.html

I could see Larry leaving the band to stay at home and lay on top of his billions of dollars in his money room.

or they could become a 3-piece like REM did and put out a ton of songs that sound like peace on earth and grace

If Larry leaves, they'll break up. If they break up...

The world will fall.

Larry, come on!

We can't live
With or without you.

ponkine said:

Wow, that is one of most ig....you know I'm not going there. That's just not a very educated statement. Enough said on that.

And that story reeks of "tabloid" journalism. Especially the headline that reads like it's over and done with. Right.

:shrug: Let him go. He's replaceable. Another thing, obviously Larry can stand and look good for the camera we have all seeen that. Acting?:lmao: He'll be back. That is if it should ever happen.

I refuse to believe for one second that this is true. Wasn't there some tabloid-type article posted a while back that implied Bono was going to run for public office?

I do admit, Larry does have the looks to be in the movies. I just can't see him becoming an actor, though. If he hates the b.s. that comes with a music career, just imagine how horrible the b.s. of Hollywood would be for him!

ElectricalVoice said:

No way. U2 IS Larry, Adam, Bono and Edge. None of them are replaceable.

That's exactly right.

People who say Larry is replaceable or that he is not a good drummer must only listen to U2. If someone listens to other bands and other kinds of music it doesn't take them longer to realize how big Larry's role is on the building of that specific U2 sound. I don't think Edge would be such a great guitarist, Adam such a great bass player and Bono such great singer if they didn't have Larry right behind them. It wouldn't be just visually different if there were someone else there. It would interfere on U2's sound BIG TIME. And who wants that? Not me. :no: I like it just they way it is! :up:

Bono's shades said:
I refuse to believe for one second that this is true. Wasn't there some tabloid-type article posted a while back that implied Bono was going to run for public office?

Yeah, the same people who posted this article also posted something titled "Bono considers giving up U2 for politics" or something absurd like that even though the article basically concludes that he would never do it, just like Larry would never leave U2.

Next we're gonna have "Adam may leave U2 to take over Hugh Hefner's job" :lol: or "Edge considering inventing time machine instead of playing guitar"

Back
Top Bottom