Larry and Bono: no album in 2007, Popmart and no Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There better not be any bashin' of Passengers in this t'read.

Anyone who knows his 1-1s from his Sparrowfall (1)s can find at least three or four tracks to appreciate in Passengers.

EDIT: If you understand that and you're a college age grrl pm me and we'll chat n stuff cuz u are awsume :heart:

Last edited:
*pops in

U2 doesn't even know when their album will be done. as a musician, i know best that sometimes the best songs can come about in only a matter of days, others take months.

the band does seem to be a little more cautious than they used to when it comes to album completion. maybe Pop , as great as i think it is, had something to do with their current attitude about making albums. but if 3 months from now, the band is completely excited about what they have down, i believe that they will get the album out on the streets.

even though they deal record companies and the marketing and all that shit, this is a band that lives on momentum, and if they feel that they have something special, then they won't hold it back.

so for anyone here who's trying to use the band's history to determine when the next album will be released is only fighting a battle that they won't win, because U2 has re-written their history so many times that you should know by now that all rules are thrown out the window with this band.

can't wait for the new album, whenever it is. i'm sure it'll be special like every other album they released, so enjoy the ride and quit fucking arguing all the time!

It all has a different feeling this time over last when we were waiting for Bomb. I really feel like were about to get something incredible. And I really feel like itll be sooner than later. Those leaked tracks are so very promising. My only fear is it being too soft. I think if they were a little more aggressive theyd reach a higher level.

Numb1075 said:

While I agree that they are a fantastic live band and the many times I've seen, it's been almost a spiritual experience, If given the choice of a new album or a new tour, I go w/ the album.

You're damn right.
u2 would never have gotten to be the greatest live band ever if they hadnt consistently released so many incredible albums, albums that have changed peolpes lives, people like me.
I love to see U2 live but I'd rather they release an album then go on tour.

Passsengers is an amazing album, one of U2's finest. Yes, I claim it as a U2 album, even if they are ashamed of it, I'm not, I love it. It's super cool and breathtaking.

I expected no album until 2008 anyways, it's the no Milan rumor that's getting to me. Good Lord I wanted that one so bad. I pray this isn't true.

I'm not surprised. I do feel bummed out about milan do, just because i was there, but heck, i was there for popmart too so!! just as good, let's just hope it has great extras. I'm just waiting for it to piss my pants during Please.

A new album is obviously gonna have to wait. They'll probably take the next year real slow. I hope they do release vertigo on imax. that along with the popmart dvd will have to suffice probably until fall 2008.

mikal said:

so for anyone here who's trying to use the band's history to determine when the next album will be released is only fighting a battle that they won't win, because U2 has re-written their history so many times that you should know by now that all rules are thrown out the window with this band.

can't wait for the new album, whenever it is. i'm sure it'll be special like every other album they released, so enjoy the ride and quit fucking arguing all the time!

Probably the only truly insightful post here; I know anything I have posted has been worthless. :wink:

mikal said:
*pops in

U2 doesn't even know when their album will be done. as a musician, i know best that sometimes the best songs can come about in only a matter of days, others take months.

the band does seem to be a little more cautious than they used to when it comes to album completion. maybe Pop , as great as i think it is, had something to do with their current attitude about making albums. but if 3 months from now, the band is completely excited about what they have down, i believe that they will get the album out on the streets.

even though they deal record companies and the marketing and all that shit, this is a band that lives on momentum, and if they feel that they have something special, then they won't hold it back.

:applaud:

mikal said:
*pops in

I agree to a certain extent. My examples are based on the preface that they plan to do a tour for the next album. When it comes to putting out a specific album and the touring specifically for it, there is a pattern. When it comes to touring U2 are definately creatures of habit and have been for a long time now. I dont see that aspect changing. So, yes, I'am basing what I think is going to happen based on their history. Especially considering there is a definate pattern when it comes to touring.

Can that all change? Can an album come out sooner? Sure, anything is possible. But realistically going on wild fan based site rumors and just believing some of it out of hand when it flies in the face of what U2 have done in the past, isnt very reliable. Looking at specific patterns in their history with this stuff is much more realistic and reliable. That is what I have been pointing out in these threads. Now, the latest "fan" site rumor says what I have been saying and alot of people think that is BS, yet believe the rumor from similiar type sources that said it would be 2006.

I'm not fighting a battle?? :huh: I'm trying to point out that an album in 2006 is wishful thinking because those same people are going to freak out on here when it doesnt happen (take a look at the responses in this thread alone). I'm sorry you feel I'm wrong, but we will see when the album is released amd then I guess we will know. :shrug: I bet it falls pretty close to the pattern I outlined previously though (if I was a betting man :laugh: ). If U2 wants to change that pattern and release it next year, great. I still think it will be late next year at the earliest though and YES I'm basing that on their history. Which as of late as been at least slightly predictable.

I think very few people thought 2006.

A lot of us were (are) hoping for 2007, not because of site rumours but because the band got together this summer and because they have a producer in the studio this month (even if beach clips were apparently "demos" at best). All this seems a tad early and a tad serious work if they already "know" the album won't come till 2008.

I'm curious though: you still think Milan is coming, even if we have 3 of the band members saying otherwise. Not just delayed, but cancelled for Popmart DVD. How come?

U2girl said:
I think very few people thought 2006.

A lot of us were (are) hoping for 2007, not because of site rumours but because the band got together this summer and because they have a producer in the studio this month (even if beach clips were apparently "demos" at best). All this seems a tad early and a tad serious work if they already "know" the album won't come till 2008.

I'm curious though: you still think Milan is coming, even if we have 3 of the band members saying otherwise. Not just delayed, but cancelled for Popmart DVD. How come?

Like I said before, IF they plan to tour for the next album they have an idea of the time frame they want to do that. So its not so inconceivable that they dont think they will put out an album until 2008. I'm not really believing the rumor of what said that initiated this whole thread either. I'm basing it on their past touring history. I have said all along that 2007 is feasible, I just think its unlikely.

On the Milan DVD. Two things, again, the whole thing saying it wasnt going to be released is 2nd hand information that a fan site is reporting. So we really dont know if its true. Second, U2 doesnt typically spend all the money for the production, go through all the effort to film, to simply scrap it. It is a business. My guess would be fall of 2008 it may see the light of day. It will come out a few months before the new album. :wink:

The Milan DVD will eventually be released I really don't have a problem waiting, and like most people in this board I rather have Popmart than another Vertigo show but that's my opinion

And if the reports are true that no album for 2007 what's the big deal? they are fooling around in the studio currently I rather have a great album than something rushed, Nov and part of Dec they will finish the tour, maybe even do some dates in the States with the Stadium show who nows

We just got Zootv Sidney, next is Popmart Mexico and IMAX Bueno Aires so I really can't complain

thats my take

Blue Room said:

On the Milan DVD. Two things, again, the whole thing saying it wasnt going to be released is 2nd hand information that a fan site is reporting. So we really dont know if its true. Second, U2 doesnt typically spend all the money for the production, go through all the effort to film, to simply scrap it. It is a business. My guess would be fall of 2008 it may see the light of day. It will come out a few months before the new album. :wink:

That information was from a quote from Adam.
Sure, that's technically second hand, but so is anything you read in a newspaper written by a reporter. I think they would scrap it if there's no room for it in the schedule, especially since they also spent money for the IMAX production which can also be released to DVD.

Your Blue Room, you might as well write one post and then just repost it every time someone gets too excited or unforgiveably gives in to optimism. Save yourself some time.

bram said:
Your Blue Room, you might as well write one post and then just repost it every time someone gets too excited or unforgiveably gives in to optimism. Save yourself some time.

Ok, I wont repost what I have said, but you obviously havent read my prior posts in this thread because they dont all talk about the same thing. I'm sorry you dont like the realistic perspective. But if you dont, please feel free to block my posts. No one is forcing you to read them.

ntalwar said:

That information was from a quote from Adam.
Sure, that's technically second hand, but so is anything you read in a newspaper written by a reporter. I think they would scrap it if there's no room for it in the schedule, especially since they also spent money for the IMAX production which can also be released to DVD.

I agree on the IMAX part. That could cause it not to be released. I guess I'm still optimistic it will be though despite some people saying I'm a pessimist.

Blue Room said:

I agree to a certain extent. My examples are based on the preface that they plan to do a tour for the next album. When it comes to putting out a specific album and the touring specifically for it, there is a pattern. When it comes to touring U2 are definately creatures of habit and have been for a long time now. I dont see that aspect changing. So, yes, I'am basing what I think is going to happen based on their history. Especially considering there is a definate pattern when it comes to touring.

Can that all change? Can an album come out sooner? Sure, anything is possible. But realistically going on wild fan based site rumors and just believing some of it out of hand when it flies in the face of what U2 have done in the past, isnt very reliable. Looking at specific patterns in their history with this stuff is much more realistic and reliable. That is what I have been pointing out in these threads. Now, the latest "fan" site rumor says what I have been saying and alot of people think that is BS, yet believe the rumor from similiar type sources that said it would be 2006.

I'm not fighting a battle?? :huh: I'm trying to point out that an album in 2006 is wishful thinking because those same people are going to freak out on here when it doesnt happen (take a look at the responses in this thread alone). I'm sorry you feel I'm wrong, but we will see when the album is released amd then I guess we will know. :shrug: I bet it falls pretty close to the pattern I outlined previously though (if I was a betting man :laugh: ). If U2 wants to change that pattern and release it next year, great. I still think it will be late next year at the earliest though and YES I'm basing that on their history. Which as of late as been at least slightly predictable.

makes you wonder. could they ever do an album and NOT tour? it's a possibility considering their age, but highly doubtful in my opinion.

highly unlikely they all said in different occasions that touring is where the songs come to life

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Like I said before, IF they plan to tour for the next album they have an idea of the time frame they want to do that. So its not so inconceivable that they dont think they will put out an album until 2008. I'm not really believing the rumor of what said that initiated this whole thread either. I'm basing it on their past touring history. I have said all along that 2007 is feasible, I just think its unlikely.

Fair enough, though my impression was 2008 all the way with you. ;)

True, 2nd hand but it's interesting that back in 2005 we have read Hamish Hamilton saying Milan is coming out, and now we have Adam, Larry and Bono saying Milan is off. Not postponed/delayed, cancelled. Is it because they're doing that IMAX movie and don't want 3 videos for one tour?

mikal said:

makes you wonder. could they ever do an album and NOT tour? it's a possibility considering their age, but highly doubtful in my opinion.

I feel that it's unlikely. Well, we all know that the sentece "live is where we live" belongs to U2 and then, it's not very profitable to release a new album without touring. Then, it's touring than U2 makes the real dollars peel. I guess they won't give up touring.

I've been saying something a few times but no one has been really paying attention to it.
U2 has been following the same strategy about the timing of releasing an album ans start touring. And I think that it's getting a bit tired and usual.
I won't be admired if something like the late 80's happen again, like releasing the album not in the fall and only start touring about a year later, and who knows, not starting in the US?
Marketing sometimes is not so predictable as we think, and if they decide that it's time for a new strategy, I wouldn't be surprised...

PlaTheGreat said:

Passengers is not a U2 album. That's another debate for another foum.

Other than that the average NOT THE EXACT NUMBER OF YEARS EACH TIME has been 4 years. With the exception of Zooropa. :drool: And I never complain about Zooropa.

It was only as long as 4 years ONCE since 1991! The numbers are much better for my argument if we go back to the 1980s, but starting with Achtung we have 6 albums over 13 years (1991-2004) the mathematical average is 2.16 years!!!!! WAAAY less than 4.

If we go back to 1980 the average is EXACTLY 2.

Last edited:
There's a part of that quote of Edge's in Time magazine that no one in this thread seems to have noticed.

We're here with [producer] Rick Rubin and enjoying the chemistry, but we're nowhere near a timetable or anything. I will say that we're having a good time. And I have a feeling that because of Rick's presence it's going to sound very different. But really, it's early days.
And we're messing around with other stuff too.

Don't forget Spiderman: The Musical. I actually think that's going to happen, although I'm not too sure how I feel about that.:huh:

Last edited:
Niceman said:

It was only as long as 4 years ONCE since 1991! The numbers are much better for my argument if we go back to the 1980s, but starting with Achtung we have 6 albums over 13 years (1991-2004) the mathematical average is 2.16 years!!!!! WAAAY less than 4.

If we go back to 1980 the average is EXACTLY 2.

6 albuns since 1991?
1 - AB, 2 - Zooropa, 3- Pop, 4 - ATYCLB, 5 - HTDAAB.
Passengers is a side project, and I think U2 doesn't consider it a proper U2 album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom