Larry and Bono: no album in 2007, Popmart and no Milan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Bono's and Larry's answers, but we don't have the exact questions.

I guess, they just don't know, when the album is finished. As Edge said, it's early days, so how can they know. If someone asked, if there will be an album release in 2007, the answer could mean, that there are no definite plans for a release yet.

But things can change depending on, how much great material they have in the spring.

And I am so so happy about the PopMart DVD :drool:

Jesus Christ people, did you really expect an album so soon? :huh: With the amount of writing, jamming, re-writing, producer-hopping, and wishy-washyness that goes into a latter-day U2 album?

:lol:

Plus, Bono needs to travel again to eat some more african child'n during the spring and summer.

MumblingBono said:
They are already in the studio with Rubin

I don't think it's a stretch to think that Rubin could end up being the new Chris Thomas - that 'legendary' producer the band hire with great expectations, only to later replace. I'm hoping that's not the case, and that Abbey Road can truly inspire them to get deliciously crazy and inventive.

If the current sessions end up being a 'greatest hits' gig, I wouldn't be surprised at all. The setup right now is almost too perfect for U2 to create that next 'great' album we all want.

As Canadiens says, unless they've changed their ways dramatically, megadoses of procrastination and chaos will probably fill the air before before we hear something new and fresh...or even smelly :(

An Cat Gav said:
if thats true then I will be very disappointed with U2.
They expect us fans to go out and buy their book, their rehashed VHS-DVD live shows that we've already seen 1000 times but not produce anything new for years on end.
I hope that this story isn't true but if it is I will be very unhappy with my favourite band..

I dunno. I kinda saw this coming when Larry said on the VH1 Legends video back in '99 that as time goes on that the band may have to record less and so on. Seems to be true.

An Cat Gav said:
I'm just a bit emotional, I've been looking forward to a new album for so long, and in the quote this source gives it's like Bono and Larry are dismissing a 2007 release as if it doesn't matter when they release an album.
I'm just tired of it. I'm a devoted fan as much as anyone but I'm fucking pissed off with this.
I just hope that this is just bullshit and that there will be an album next year, all evidence was pointing to it before.

Wow..umm..there is more to life to keep you entertained ya know? Personally, if feels like HTDAAB was just realsed a year ago to me.

Look, I can do it too.....

So today, I was walking down the street in my small town in Ohio, and I kid you not, I saw Bono and Adam walking into a local crafts shop. I stopped and asked them when the new album comes out, and Bono said "October 21st 2007", and Adam said "no, more like July 22nd 2007." Bono said the Popmart, Red Rocks, Milan and New Year Eve 1990 would all be released in a special DVD 4-pack collection this Christmas. He told me the first 3,000 copies of that DVD 4-pack sold will also get a bonus 5th DVD, "U2 Live at McGonagles 1979."

The_acrobat said:
Look, I can do it too.....

So today, I was walking down the street in my small town in Ohio, and I kid you not, I saw Bono and Adam walking into a local crafts shop. I stopped and asked them when the new album comes out, and Bono said "October 21st 2007", and Adam said "no, more like July 22nd 2007." Bono said the Popmart, Red Rocks, Milan and New Year Eve 1990 would all be released in a special DVD 4-pack collection this Christmas. He told me the first 3,000 copies of that DVD 4-pack sold will also get a bonus 5th DVD, "U2 Live at McGonagles 1979."

OT: Hey, I'm 2-3 hours from Urbana! U2 fans exist in Ohio?...:huh:

I thought Larry meant later, as they got older. They are only in their fourties now!

I remember Edge said, they would like to make a couple more albums before the third Best Of, but it does seem unlikely now.

It would be amazing, if they had a surprise album for us now, and then another one in 2009. Would explain why Bono has not been talking a lot about the recording sessions, but I know I am dreaming......

Hej U2Man :wave:

beachball said:
We have Bono's and Larry's answers, but we don't have the exact questions.

I guess, they just don't know, when the album is finished. As Edge said, it's early days, so how can they know. If someone asked, if there will be an album release in 2007, the answer could mean, that there are no definite plans for a release yet.

But things can change depending on, how much great material they have in the spring.

And I am so so happy about the PopMart DVD :drool:

They could easily have a rough idea of the time frame they are looking at and they typically do. Especially if they plan to tour for the next album. They may have other commitments planned for next year after the fifth leg ends or maybe they plan to spend time with their families or both. I'm not sure why that is such a stretch to alot of people here. U2 can take as much time as they need, they have earned that right and that luxury. They dont even HAVE to release another album if they dont want to.

I said this before and I think someone else said it in this thread. The Rubin thing could easily just be a test run or an experimentation. He may not end up even producing the next album.

Dorian Gray said:
maybe they're tired of rabid fans asking the same questions day in, day out. so they said that to shut us up.

... but they can't :lol:

no matter what they say, there will be speculation...

Cliff's Notes:

1. Screw PopMart DVD. I'll watch the bootlegs.

2. Screw Milan DVD. I'll watch Chicago, the Buenos Aires 3-D IMAX, and all the bootlegs.

3. Passengers, while not "U2," is a creative project--a musical project. The four members of U2, making music, only 2 years after an album.

4. Screw Passengers.

5. Adam says couple of months. Bono & Larry say a year and a half, plus. (Would Bono really say something so disheartening??) Edge says they're not using any timetable, that they're in "early days," and yet that they "don't want to spend too much time on it."
***Note that the only real, published, not-fan-reported quote is Edge's. (sucks that it happens to be a mixed message) ***

When will it come? Who the hell knows. But I'm not taking any of these quotes as reality set in stone.

Oh, and screw these dvds. Unless it's a Point Depot show or a complete Red Rocks, I can live without it----in place of the band working on new music.

My
pennies2.gif

PlaTheGreat said:

Four years is the average between U2 albums.

The average is actually 2 years, and that is thrown out by the fact that between '97 and now '07 they've released only 2. Look back through their history up until Pop and they've (mostly) released something every 2 years or less. Even the massive overhaul from R&H to Achtung came in about 2 years.

ElectricalVoice said:
But I think it is very strange to say no album in 2007, since 2007 is not here yet. How can they know at this point? They must have decided not to be finished in 2007. Are they planning to use more that 18 months? No wonder they are slow, when they are planning to be. But Bono to say 2007 doesn't make sense. He would say middle 2007 if the others thought 2008 - just to keep the hype on a decent level.

But maybe they also love to spread rumours, give mixed messages. Just for the fun of it :wink:.

Maybe it will be finished and they are just going to hold it until they want to release. They are never on a strict time schedule. Its also not like them to give us so much at once like a book, dvds.

2morrow said:

OT: Hey, I'm 2-3 hours from Urbana! U2 fans exist in Ohio?...:huh:

They do indeed my friend, although they are few and far between. Myself and my brother are both huge fans, and some of our good friends are fans as well. So everybody in our social circle has followed us and are either huge fans themselves, or moderate admirers. But yeah, it's no wonder they don't come to Ohio very much. However, in Popmart we had an audience in Columbus of about 45,000. That was the biggest crowd on the whole tour so far, and it was the 12th show.

Earnie Shavers said:

The average is actually 2 years, and that is thrown out by the fact that between '97 and now '07 they've released only 2. Look back through their history up until Pop and they've (mostly) released something every 2 years or less. Even the massive overhaul from R&H to Achtung came in about 2 years.

Yeah, we are talking about recent history, what their pattern has been lately. Not what they were doing when they were up and coming or before they were massively popular and they were in their 20's.

R and H is not a tradional studio album either Its half live stuff with a couple of live cover songs. Technically its a soundtrack to the movie, not another studio project. I will agree its close. But when I say pattern, I mean where they go in from scratch and/or with a few leftovers with a design to make a brand new album of all new stuff typically with a theme and a plan to tour specifically for an album. Most likely that is what the next album will be. Lately that has been a period of around 4 years in between.

The gap between the last 2 albums has been 3 years (Pop to ATYCLB) and 4 years (ATYCLB to the Bomb). They're the two longest, the rest are all consistently close to the 2 year mark. HTDAAB took so long because they virtually threw the whole thing out the window. You may be right, they have a billion more distractions now outside the music, but I still think their history is consistent bar, really, just the last album or two.

Earnie Shavers said:
The gap between the last 2 albums has been 3 years (Pop to ATYCLB) and 4 years (ATYCLB to the Bomb). They're the two longest, the rest are all consistently close to the 2 year mark. HTDAAB took so long because they virtually threw the whole thing out the window. You may be right, they have a billion more distractions now outside the music, but I still think their history is consistent bar, really, just the last album or two.

Okay, read my post again. Under my example here is the pattern:

Joshua Tree 1987 (specific tour)
Achtung Baby 1991 (specific tour)
POP 1997 (was suppose to be 1996) (specific tour)
ATYCLB 2000 (specific tour)
HTDAAB 2004 (specfic tour)

Its not exact, but that is roughly a 4 year turn around time between the standard studio album with tour that accompanies it. :shrug:

Before you say Lovetown was for R and H. No, it wasnt. Lovetown was Joshua Tree make up dates that got cancelled to work on the movie. Similiar to how the 5th leg was rescheduled because of the family illness (even though they are not the same thing obviously, the principle is the same). The Zooropa tour was planned before making the Zooropa album was even thought of. They just decided to make an album in the time off between legs instead of relaxing. So the Zooropa tour was not specifically for the Zooropa album, it was support for Achtung Baby for the most part. Yes, Zooropa is a studio album completely but it is nowhere near standard operation for U2 and was highly unusual for them, I think we can all agree on that.

Also your math is off on POP and ATYCLB. POP was released in March 1997. ATYCLB was released in November 2000. That is 3.5 years not 3 and certainly not closer to 2 years. Sorry

Last edited:
U2girl said:
He got to talk to Larry and Bono and he got this news:

- the band is working on new material, but there will not be a new U2 album in 2007

Technically, we don't know the guy's specific question. He could have specifically asked, "Will there be a new album next year?" or "Will there be a new album in 2007?"

Not that the end of 2006 is really all that likely or realistic, but just a blurb without the full context is, well, just a blurb...:shrug:

Last edited:
It is what it is, but if this is mere musical dabbling, I doubt the folks at .com waste the time and effort to promote and update the current studio efforts. Personnally, I'd be glad to wait another year if it the final result is a mind-blowing record. C'mon... another year vs. listening to whining punters who get off on criticizing the final product? No contest.

I don't care about any "new" album born from the tired beach clips we have listened to, and I wouldn't like to have a "new" album produced by that crappy MTV producer Rick Rubin :shame:

I'd rather have DVD's and books in 2007 (specially if they release Red Rocks or Lovetown Tour on DVD at last :drool: :drool: :drool: ) than ATYCLB III :|

It seems that they have realized (AT LAST) that the "new" album could have been nothing but ATYCLB and HTDAAB leftovers :up:

So it's really great if they don't want to make another album from the ATYCLB formula.

I'd love to see them working on previously unreleased concerts on DVD next year instead

ponkine said:
and I wouldn't like to have a "new" album produced by that crappy MTV producer Rick Rubin :shame:

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

bsp77 said:

You really have no clue what you are talking about.

Yes, I know what I'm talking about. I know who is Rick Rubin, his style, the albums he has produced, etc, etc :eyebrow:

He's totally oriented to the MTV marketing. See what he has produced in the last years ...

Sad But True :(

ponkine said:

Yes, I know what I'm talking about. I know who is Rick Rubin, his style, the albums he has produced, etc, etc :eyebrow:

He's totally oriented to the MTV marketing. See what he has produced in the last years ...

Sad But True :(

You really have no clue what you're talking about.

Passengers may be disowned by the band and disliked by many people here, but it was started, if I'm not mistaken, as a bona fide recording session. Without Lanois to keep it from getting too weird, Eno took it in a conceptual direction.

It was my understanding that the band decided after the album's completion not to release it under the U2 banner, as opposed to it being a side project from the outset. That's what I gathered from reading Eno's diary.

Bottom line is that the band released long-player albums of original material in the 90's, whatever it says on the cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom