Large Collection of Bono Quotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learn2kneel

War Child
I just found these buried in my harddrive, theres some really good ones here:

When those people get up at the Grammys and say, "I thank God," I always imagine God going, "Oh, don't -- please don't thank me for that one. Please, oh, that's an awful one! Don't thank me for that -- that's a piece of [crap]!" The most powerful idea that's entered the world in the last few thousand years -- the idea of grace--is the reason I would like to be a Christian. Though, as I said to [U2 guitarist] The Edge one day, I sometimes feel more like a fan, rather than actually in the band. I can't live up to it. But the reason I would like to is the idea of grace. It's really powerful."

'I've learned, for instance, how to listen to Michael Jackson records, I've figured it out. I just pretend I can't speak English. And I am a huge fan as a result. I mean that."

I often wonder if religion is the enemy of God. It's almost like religion is what happens when the Spirit has left the building. God's Spirit moves through us and the world at a pace that can never be constricted by any one religious paradigm. I love that. You know, it says somewhere in the scriptures that the Spirit moves like a wind -- no one knows where it's come from or where it's going. The Spirit is described in the Holy Scriptures as much more anarchic than any established religion credits."

"I think it's the spiritual strength that's essential to the band. People have got to find their own way. I'm not into standing up and saying, 'hey, you should be into God!' My own life is exhilirating through an experience I feel, and I feel there's no point in talking about something which should be there in your life anyway. You don't have to preach about it."

"Making records is like making hot dogs. You'll probably enjoy them more if you don't see how it's done."

The bass is the hippest instrument in rock 'n
roll, the drums are the most exciting. I want to play
the guitar very badly and I do play the guitar very badly."

The right to be irresponsible and stupid is something I hold very dear. And luckily it is something I do well."

BP: Do you believe in flying saucers?
BONO: In my kitchen they'e an everyday thing.
BP: Have you ever seen one?
BONO: She's a very good shot.

Sometimes being a rock star is like going through a sex change.
A lot of people treat you like you're a girl, they stare at you and follow you down the street, 'till you don't know where to hide."

People expect that because I am a believer that I somehow have all the answers. And I was saying that really I have more questions, as a result of being a believer, and the road I am going down is a road with many side roads, and you get lost along the way and I don't feel that Im a very good ad for God, y'know. If ever there was a sinner there is one here."

"It's your future. The only limits are the limits of your imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in - dream out loud. At high volume! That's what we do for a living.

We got booed in Chicago, which I take as a compliment. I don't think we have an audience of lemmings."

"I come from the position that 50.000 people gathered might not be wrong. In fact, if they're gathered together at one of our gigs, I'm tempted to think they might be right!"

The strangest thing has happened. I really missed my dog. That's never happened to me before. You know, on a long tour you do hear people saying they miss their pets. I never have. But last night I started really missing my dog.
It's very odd, cause I don't have a dog."

My own dad didn't encourage me much, maybe to save me from being disappointed. And my way of rebelling has been to prove I can go out and win the love of the whole world. But it's a funny need for compensation that makes you need fifty thousand screaming people telling you they love you in order for you to feel normal."

BP: What's your favourite method of transportation?
BONO: An angel's back. No, make that blindfolded.

"My position is that I write songs, I'm in a band and I just hope that when it's all over for U2, that in some way we made the light a bit brighter. Maybe just tear off a corner of the darkness."

My earliest memory of Larry was when we were starting off. We were at our first rehearsal in his kitchen and all these girls kept climbing over the walls and looking in the window at Larry. Larry just shouted at them and told them to go away. And then turned the hose on them! Larry likes to play drums."

It would be wrong for me to say, "Yes, we can change the world with a song" -but every time I try writing, that's where I'm at. I'm not stupid. I'm aware of the futility of rock 'n' roll music. But I'm also aware of it's power."

"If i am close to the music, and you are close to the music,
then we are close to each other."

"We knew the tunes were there and we felt
there was a hunger again for something joyful, something
that lifts your spirits in a real way, and I think rock 'n' roll is best able to do that."

"It is still an extraordinary thing to behold the sound of a rock and roll band in full flight. Not just the sound of it when it gets airborne - but the deals that you make on the ground; the promises that your friendship will survive being broke [or] not being broke; the Eighties - and maybe 20 years later you will find yourselves at an award ceremony with people you started out with. Wow."

It's a gift much more than a craft in our case. This is a punk rock band, hearing mad tunes in their heads that are gospel and folk and psychedelic and hard rock. And we depend on what Quincy Jones said - we depend on God walking through the room, more than most. And God has walked through the room on our record and I want to give thanks. Amen."

Perspective is the cure for depression."

I've been cutting and pasting quotes from all over the internet for awhile, but I'm really bad at saving my sources! So there's my disclaimer if any of these are mis-quotes

:bono: "I dance much better horizontally than vertically."
(Tease!) :faint:

:bono: "There are four members of U2. If there is a fifth non-musical member, it is Paul McGuiness. Either that or Adam's willie!"
:eyebrow:

:macdevil: "I always felt like 'The Fly' was this phone call from hell... But the guy likes it
there."
:macdevil:

This one's from Edge: Embarrassing moment! My room overlooks the park and yesterday during the afternoon
I'd opened up all the blinds and taken back the curtains so I could look out over the park.
Come nightfall, I was grooving to some rap record in my room, bopping around the room
for maybe half an hour. I don't know what I was doing, just messing around...and at one
stage I looked out of the window and there were about 200 people looking up, clapping,
applauding my dancing. That was funny." -August 21st, 1992 @ The Four Seasons Hotel
in Boston
:edge:
:dancing: :dance: :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom