Lanios on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
from atu2

Daniel Lanois told RTE's Radio 1 that he'll spend a week in the studio
with U2 beginning next Monday (Nov. 3rd). Lanois was a guest on Radio
1's "Mystery Train" programme tonight where he told host John Kelly
about his plans to help U2 wrap up their new album:

"I'm going to clock in at the U2 studio for a few days and do some
listening and help them out the best I can.... I haven't heard a note.
I'm looking forward to it, it's gonna be exciting. I can be a friend
and give them an objective opinion..... They're at the tail-end [of the
project], so they're not gonna want to be buttered-up or anything."

The "Mystery Train" program is available in Real Audio at the Radio 1
web site, but only a single show is archived at a time, so this link
may not work much beyond Thursday evening (Dublin-time). The U2 content
occurs at about the 49-minute mark, right after they listen to "I Still
Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." (Thanks Brian.)

listen to 'Mystery Train' on Radio 1 >>

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/evening/mysterytrain/

umm, mr lanois, please just say you like it and nothing needs to be changed so they can finish it soon and get it in the stores

this seems like something that could lead to a delay

Well if Anton Corbijn is taking photographs for the new album they have to be wrapping things up.

I don't think any major production changes will be happening now, and Lanois did say he's only going in for a few days. What about Steve Lillywhite, is he on board this time or not?

Somebody confiscate Eno's passport.....just to be on the safe side :)

and probably rightfully so

I'd prefer a non-sucky album in 2006 to a sucky album in 2004

id prefer a sucky album in 2004 and a non sucky album in 2006

u2's sucky albums are still pretty good

All Lanois is going in to do is listen, and maybe mix a song or three. I think the band is very confident in the material, and are only asking Danny to come in to listen with a fresh set of ears and make sure the mixes are as good as they could be. I don't think Lanois is "making" or "breaking" this album. They've done this sort of thing since the Joshua Tree. No need to fret.

i guess they just have too many great songs on board, and don't know which ones to make the album. they asked lanois to come and pick the final 11-12 greatest tracks among the greats.
i hope i am right.

"i guess they just have too many great songs on board, and don't know which ones to make the album. they asked lanois to come and pick the final 11-12 greatest tracks among the greats.
i hope i am right."

I totally agree. Remember he's only spending a week, so I doubt he's going to affect any of the previously recorded material. I'd guess the band is asking his opinions on which tracks to put on the album. Often times that is one of the trickiest parts of putting an album together.

I bet the tapes go to the label by the end of November. Sometime in the next 6-8 weeks we will know the name of the first single and possible album title and tracklisting, And we see the album in March or maybe April.

The wait is almost over people, don't worry.

or he will be like, this song doesnt soun exactly right

then they start to tinker

then they keep going and the song takes on a whole new form

then edge gets pissed and deletes the track so they have to start over

then the song doesnt fit in with the rest of the album, but the song is great so they want it on

so they decide to tinker on the rest of the album

then the "rockin' guitar driven" album is released in 2006 and turns out to be a cd full of 4th of Julys

Lanois is filling in the role that Lillywhite has done over the years. They are just bringing in a pair of fresh ears to hear the material......interesting to note that they went to London for some string sections........but they are for "crap"songs...whatever Bono!

I agree with many of the points already expressed, but just wanted to add that I believe it's possible the boys have a hunch Lanois might bring a new song out of them - that one last GREAT song that forces them to go on the road...that type of song. They're probably going on a hunch that they'll start jamming during a studio session and stumble into some Lanois magic. It's entirely possible, and I'm hoping for it. I think Lanois brings that X factor to the table.

Yeah Maybe Daniel Lanois coming in means there is light at the end of the tunnel.

OT (well mostly) I was listening to Luscious Jackson's ferver in fever out album which he produced and I was really liking it again after not having heard it in several years. go Daniel produce produce!

I believe that Lanois is just going to contribute a little here and a little there......Album photo shoot has happend and the band has talked with Ned about the tour and other stuff. I really don't believe that he is going to swoop in and create a whole new sound for the album. The band always likes another pair of fresh ears for an opinion, or decided which way a song or two should lean.......no worries.....I think this album will definately be unique..

TiaraGurl said:
Yeah Maybe Daniel Lanois coming in means there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Or maybe Daniel will make it take longer to get stuff done, if you can imagine waiting even longer! :eeklaugh:

Or maybe Daniel will call up Brian Eno for an extra extra opinion. At which point, Chris Thomas will be kicked out of the studio for his knack of trying to help the band make "SONGS". The 6 of them will go on a 10 year experimental period. They'll spend the next decade wandering Africa and mideastern Asia, and trying to truly understand the world. Then in ten years, they'll finish the album, and release the most inspired piece of work ever created by anyone, and kill teen pop once and for all.

Maybe not.:|

U2DMfan said:
" I bet the tapes go to the label by the end of November. Sometime in the next 6-8 weeks we will know the name of the first single and possible album title and tracklisting, And we see the album in March or maybe April.

The wait is almost over people, don't worry.

I hope this is so :hyper: From your lips.....as the say.

well sue, I am just a fan, but I think one can make an educated guess as to when this thing might be wrapping up. Initial work began in Dec '01, so next month makes 2 years of work on the album, plus the only negative we have heard is that the boys thought a few tracks that had strings on them were shit. They were probably just trying to make something out of a few tunes that just didn't have "it". If you follow what I am saying.

daniel comes to the studios from 12 o clock til midnight every day during all the week, and they are not just listening to the album, they are really recording every day...so, i think daniel has new ideas for the album, so they are re-working on it...daniel don't know when it will be release...

The_acrobat said:
kill teen pop once and for all.

Um, it's pretty much dead.

Teens have moved on to hip hop and rap. Timberlake, Half Dolla, Beyonce. None of it is teen pop.

All I have to say (re: Lanois adding his touches to the recording process) is - THANK GOD!!! The more I think about it, the giddier I get. Lanois is a genius, and any album he influences is automatically a better album for it. It sounds like my prediction/hope is coming true, and they're actually writing some new material with him. This is what could make the difference between the album being a "great" album and a "classic" album.

Back
Top Bottom