Knighthood for Bono....sooner or later?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Based on the humanitarian acts of Bono and his efforts to improve the world others live in ( the world we live in is fantastic compared to the world others live in), I am pretty confident the Queen will deem him worthy of this honour.

I don't think he gives a crap if he is considered for any accolades such as this but I am certain that he will be given the title Sir Bono in the near future.

In any case, despite all the remarks and tongue in cheek regarding Bono's ego and messianic complex, he deserves credit for his selfless contribution to improve the quality of life for millions of people in need.

:applaud:

Peace out.

I very much hope that if awarded the honour Bono politely declines it. I have nothing against the Queen personally but I genuinely feel it is wrong for an Irish person to accept this honour.

Incidentally the writer Anthony Powell (who was 100% English and a Conservative) declined a knighthood as he felt it was not right for a person in the artistic world to accept the honour.

financeguy said:
I very much hope that if awarded the honour Bono politely declines it. I have nothing against the Queen personally but I genuinely feel it is wrong for an Irish person to accept this honour.

why would it be wrong?

I also think it would be awesome if Bono declined it. I'm not sure why, i guess just because it would be like, "I'M A ROCK STAR. F U!!" hehe...I like that....

It will never happen.

In the past 10 or so years most Commonwealth countries have stopped allowing its citizens to recieve knighthoods. New Zealand for example stopped it in the early 90's, Australia slightly earlier. I wouldve thought Canada wouldve also stopped... but I can't be 100% sure on that one...

That being said, if Bono were eligible for a kighthood, I don't think his charity work really should play that much into it. I view knighthoods to be a recognition of greatness in a particular field. Thats why they're knighted for "Services to whatever". Bono IMO hasn't reached greatness in the field charity work. There are tens of thousands who make more practical difference in that field than him.

That being said, muscially Bono would be knighted easily, I would hazard a guess that they all would be.

So yes, if indeed Ireland were a member of the Commonwealth and still accepted knighthoods from the motherland, and purely musically were to knight Bono, The Edge or any member of U2, I would not appose.

Surely

financeguy said:
Because of the history. Also Britain still holds a claim to a part of Ireland.

that's what i thought. but then, isn't there a point where you can 'fuck the past, kiss the future' and try to mend?

discothequeLP said:

that's what i thought. but then, isn't there a point where you can 'fuck the past, kiss the future' and try to mend?

Well, yes and no. Leaving aside the Northern Ireland question I personally think it's better if artists don't accept these types of honour as it could potentialy be seen as compromising their integrity. I don't think Bono needs the dubious ego enhancement of being called a "Sir".

Also considering some of the people that have been knighted in the past it is an extremely dubious honour frankly.

Bob Geldof just got a knighthood recently. He's Irish. And he was awarded it mainly on his contribution to famine relief efforts in Africa and his humanitarian contributions. So Bono is definitely eligible.

Quote regarding knighthood from www.royal.gov.uk

Today, The Queen (and occasionally members of the Royal Family on her behalf) confers knighthood in Britain. The knight-elect can be knighted at a public Investiture or privately. The ceremony is similar: after his name is announced, the knight-elect kneels on a knighting-stool in front of The Queen who then lays the sword blade on the knight's right and then left shoulder. After he has been dubbed, the new knight stands up (contrary to popular belief, the words 'Arise, Sir ---' are not used), and The Queen then invests the knight with the insignia of the Order to which he has been appointed (a star or badge, depending on the Order). By tradition, clergy receiving a knighthood are not dubbed, as the use of a sword is thought inappropriate for their calling.

Over the centuries, knighthood has evolved: it is no longer awarded solely for military merit, it cannot be bought and it carries no military obligations to the Sovereign. However, knighthood remains as a form of recognition for significant contributions to national life. Recipients today range from actors to scientists, and from school head teachers to industrialists.

Foreign citizens occasionally receive honorary knighthoods; they are not dubbed, and they do not use the style 'Sir'. Such knighthoods are conferred by The Queen, on the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, on those who have made an important contribution to relations between their country and Britain. Foreign citizens with knighthoods include the former US Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, Chancellor Kohl, President Mitterrand and Mayor Giuliani of New York.

This thread is not about the problems between England and Ireland so I would appreciate it if you could discuss that elsewhere.

Thanks

Last edited:
timothius said:
It will never happen.

In the past 10 or so years most Commonwealth countries have stopped allowing its citizens to recieve knighthoods. New Zealand for example stopped it in the early 90's, Australia slightly earlier. I wouldve thought Canada wouldve also stopped... but I can't be 100% sure on that one...

Really? interesting. As you've said Ireland is not a part of the commonwealth so there is no (legal) problem as such for an Irish person accepting a knighthood as far as I'm aware. Bob Geldof and newspaper magnate Tony O'Reilly accepted them for example.

trevster2k said:
Bob Geldof just got a knighthood recently. He's Irish. And he was awarded it mainly on his contribution to famine relief efforts in Africa and his humanitarian contributions. So Bono is definitely eligible. ......

This thread is not about the problems between England and Ireland so I would appreciate it if you could discuss that elsewhere.

Thanks

You asked for opinions. I gave mine, as an Irish citizen, simple as that. It was not my intention to start a debate on the problems between Ireland and England, I simply gave my opinion on the topic proposed. I do have a problem with an Irish person accepting the honour particularly given the fact that it involves kneeling in front of, i.e. submitting to, an English queen.

Yes you are correct, Geldof accepted a knighthood but it wasn't recently, it was over a decade ago. In my view, he was wrong to do so. And as I said above I consider the honour highly dubious considering some of the people who have been awarded them in the past.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to criticize your comments financeguy, I just didn't want this thread to deteriorate into a bashing thread between two sides. I respect your opinion, I was just hoping that someone else doesn't come on and disrespect yours, creating a whole different thread.:wink:

trevster2k said:
I didn't mean to criticize your comments financeguy, I just didn't want this thread to deteriorate into a bashing thread between two sides. I respect your opinion, I was just hoping that someone else doesn't come on and disrespect yours, creating a whole different thread.:wink:

Sure, I understand what you're saying. ;)

trevster2k said:

In any case, despite all the remarks and tongue in cheek regarding Bono's ego and messianic complex, he deserves credit for his selfless contribution to improve the quality of life for millions of people in need.

I agree with this...but I'm honestly not sure if I like the idea of him being knighted. I'm sure Bono himself could probably care less about the title. But the rest of the world would just love the chance to further mock his humanitarian efforts and ego, all in the same breath. So from that perspective, I hesitate to say knighthood would be a good idea.

But I gotta admit, Sir Hewson does have a nice ring to it. :wink:

Not to be pedantic, but my understanding is he would be referred to as Sir Paul rather than Sir Hewson as the knighthood attaches itself to the first name for some reason!:wink:

If the Edge was knighted would it be "Sir Edge" or "Sir the Edge"? I think if I ever met him I'd probably address him as sir anyway!:wink:

I was very surprised about Bill Gates being knighted. I always thought it was only British citizens who could get that accolade.
Shows what I know about my country.

financeguy said:
Not to be pedantic, but my understanding is he would be referred to as Sir Paul rather than Sir Hewson as the knighthood attaches itself to the first name for some reason!:wink:

Yeah, but every time I think of Sir Paul I just envision Paul McCartney! :wink:

[from Hollywood News]

Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart and Charlie Watts are being touted as the likely candidates to be knighted in Queen Elizabeth II's New Year's Honours list, according to British bookies.

According to Femalefirst, Wlliam Hill Bookmakers are taking bets on who will join the likes of Elton John, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney among Britain's rock 'n' roll aristocracy next year.

Stewart leads the way with 4-6 odds, while former Beatle Starr is even money and recovering cancer fighter Watts is 2-1.

William Hill are also offering odds on George Michael (4-1) and BONO (8-1).

financeguy said:

Really? interesting. As you've said Ireland is not a part of the commonwealth so there is no (legal) problem as such for an Irish person accepting a knighthood as far as I'm aware. Bob Geldof and newspaper magnate Tony O'Reilly accepted them for example.

To the best of my knowledledge. It may be more a consitiutional/political issue with NZ/Aust trying to push towards complete and utter independence... we no longer award Members of The British Empire awards either.

I don't think it would be illegal for anyone to recieve it... it hasnt happened. From memory, Sir Richard Hadlee :bow: was the last NZ'er to recieve a knighthood in 1989.

The more I think about it, the less I would want Bono to get one...

I hope Bono declines knighthood if it is ever offered. Being called Sir Bono or Sir Hewson or Sir Paul or whatever just seems so snobby and elitist and un-rock 'n' roll.

I don't care if Bono should accept or decline but one day he will be offered the knighthood. And if he did accept it, I'm sure he would tell everyone just to keep on calling him Bono, but he would probably politely decline suggesting that he is unworthy of such an honour. I'm sure one day all of U2's fans will be arguing over this issue for weeks.

BTW, Keith Richards never declined what he was never offered. He just criticized Mick for accepting his knighthood back in 2003 and said he would never accept it.

Lennon never declined a knighthood. He probably would have declined the offer. He returned a Most Excellent Order of the British Empire award which apparently is the lowest order of knighthood, no Sir stuff included. He accepted it along with the rest of the Beatles and then returned it as a political protest 4 years later. Although, if he had lived, he probably would have been offered one. Actually, I think it is almost cooler to take it, and then throw it back in their face.

The following link discusses a leak of hundreds of people who have refused knighthoods including John Lennon's experience.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3338583.stm

Love live the Ki nig its. I always think of Monty Pythonn and the Holy Grail when I think of knights.

Last edited:
Yeah, I realized my mistake and edited it out before you could correct me, heh.

Back
Top Bottom