Kite Vs SYCMIOYO (Live)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NamelessStreets

The Fly
I never really noticed just how good kite is on the elevation DVDs until recentley, especially Slane. It is now one of my favorite songs of all time. Im comparing it to SYCMI because they are both sung for his Dad. SYCMI is a great song, but one of the big big problems is, it is much too difficult for Bono to sing it well consistently. The only time I have heard him sing it really well is on the album. He murders it in the Chicago DVD
I think SYCMIOYO has the edge on the album, but im talking live.

So for me, Kite wins hands down.

Any opinions?

I kind of think of SYCMIOYO as Kite part 2. The original is generally better eventhough I absolutely LOVE both songs so I still go with Kite.

Kite is one of my favorite U2 songs.

"life should be fragrant, roof top to the basement.:heart:

Sometimes.

I like the sorrowful melody, the lyrics and the singing.

For me, Kite was the weakest link of ATYCLB live - just too slow and sounding too much like the album version.

Last edited:
Kite blows Sometimes out of the water in every conceivable way. Sometimes was good on the album (not spectacular), but live it's one of the most boring songs they've played this tour. I really wish they'd take it out of the setlist. Keep Miracle Drug in but KEEP THIS OUT.

Now, onto Kite. The album version was spectacular enough (my favorite U2 song) and the live version is just as good! Just listen to the Slane version, it's amazing. That's gotta be the best U2 chorus I've ever heard.

The winner is clear. Kite 4 teh win!!!

Difficult choice for me:slant:

I think Kite goes deeper and makes you think more... Sometimes goes directly to the point.

Both can put the tear in my eye but I guess I preffer Kite...

Kite really evolved into an emotional monster live song. Sometimes... is an emotional monster on the album and it really shines. Hearing this live doesn't evolve the song any better. Not a bad thing to say really.

Kite, definately.

SYCMIOYO is funny, sometimes I love it, sometimes, not so much!

SYCMIOYO doesn't sound any better live than on the album, Kite soars live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes, hands down. I've never seen Bono look so passionate about a song as he did when he sang it in ATL on 11/18.

Kite is a great song, but Sometimes is more emotional.

Kite's my favorite song off of ATYCLB. It made a very soulful transition in a live setting. Hands down, it gets my vote! :up:

My only minor complaint is that I still like how Bono sings the Don't want to see you cry part in the album better than live. Live though, he really hits the I'm a man, I'm not a child...a man who sees the shadow behind your eyes part!

Edited to add, I gotta mention the great quadruple goodbyes at the end of the live versions.

Last edited:
Kite is my pick because its 'wind will blow' chorus handily beats the 'pick up the phone' falsetto chorus of Sometimes. Plus, the 'I'm a man' pinnacle is superior to the 'sing' pinnacle. The only thing in SYCMIOYO's favor would be the opening two verses. I'm a big fan of the way Adam plays bass there. He really creates and nails the mood of the song there in the beginning.

sometimes you can't make it on your own.

i really like both songs, but sometimes is better.

Layton said:
Kite is my pick because its 'wind will blow' chorus handily beats the 'pick up the phone' falsetto chorus of Sometimes. Plus, the 'I'm a man' pinnacle is superior to the 'sing' pinnacle. The only thing in SYCMIOYO's favor would be the opening two verses. I'm a big fan of the way Adam plays bass there. He really creates and nails the mood of the song there in the beginning.

100% agree with all of that! I find the falsetto part of Sometimes weak. Probably because bonos falsetto is weak nowadays. It sounds so forced.

NamelessStreets said:

100% agree with all of that! I find the falsetto part of Sometimes weak. Probably because bonos falsetto is weak nowadays. It sounds so forced.

edge sings the falsetto pretty much. they both do, but it is mainly edge.

Sometimes without a doubt.

Kite is subpar on the album because of the cheesy strings, and it's a little better live, but it just doesn't cut it for me. Sure, the chorus and "I'm a man" parts are great, but the verses kill it.

Sometimes, on the other hand, is great on the album and even better live.

So, once again, Sometimes. :up:

Kite :drool:

I had the great honor of seeing this performed live at the first Slane show, the day after Bob Hewson's funeral. There was so much emotion that night... it was truly beautiful. I was bummed when I heard that they were gonna release the Sept 1 show for the DVD. :sad:

i've never had that 'thing' happen with sometimes where i need to hear it each and every day - multiple times.
i did with kite.
i'll take kite, live or however.

Can relate to Kite better because the timing of the struggle within Kite is more current. With sometimes, it's more so in the past - just trying to put it to rest.

I do not know how Bono can sing Sometimes with such emotion in front of millions of people. He's amazing!!

Kite, without a doubt. It's far more interesting live, and I think SYCMIOYO plods a bit much. I'd be a very happy man if SYCMIOYO were replaced by Kite in the setlist.

U2's performance of STYCMIOYO of Saturday Night Live brings me to tears. I like that performane more than any Kite performance I've heard.

kite.jpg

gherman said:
U2's performance of STYCMIOYO of Saturday Night Live brings me to tears. I like that performane more than any Kite performance I've heard.

I agree with that first sentence. SNL was the first time I'd heard the song, and it knocked me flat. However, I don't think it holds up as well as Kite did after multiple hearings in a live setting.

Back
Top Bottom