Kite vs. Sometimes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kite takes the cake here, although I find Sometimes very powerful because I know the story behind it.

People who know the story behind Sometimes will of course find the song powerful, but so far 2 of my friends who are casual U2 fans think the song is just plain boring...I personally don't feel the song is nearly as strong without knowing the story behind it, which is why IMO it will never be a classic.

Sleep Over Jack said:
While Kite is a fine song, SYCMIOYO is an instant classic, the best song since Achtung Baby IMO....so yeah the bit in Sometimes is more powerful and affecting to me ;)

I sooooo agree - this is the best u2 song of all time, or atleast will be after we have heard it live ! For me it now tops ONE & ISHFWILF as their best ever - `a house don't make a home...'

just my opinion - but I LOVE this song

Mike

ImOuttaControl said:
Kite takes the cake here, although I find Sometimes very powerful because I know the story behind it.

People who know the story behind Sometimes will of course find the song powerful, but so far 2 of my friends who are casual U2 fans think the song is just plain boring...I personally don't feel the song is nearly as strong without knowing the story behind it, which is why IMO it will never be a classic.

I disagree..I doubt the general public has any insight about say, "where the streets have no name" or "pride" and others...yet they are popular classics.

This in my opinion is a great topic. I don't really know. Those are just about my two favorite U2 ''moments'' in a song. I'll use their live versions to make my decision....oh wait....they're both even better live. I guess I'll say...(this is hard)...SYCMIOYO. That performance they did on SNL was amazing. I also liked SYCMIOYO Live from Radio One. But then again Kite is always awesome, LIVE or studio version. For now I'll say SYCMIOYO but I might post later and change my mind.

Sleep Over Jack said:

I disagree..I doubt the general public has any insight about say, "where the streets have no name" or "pride" and others...yet they are popular classics.

You might be right in the long run, but like I said...Of the casual fans I'm friends with, they really don't dig this song at all...according to them "it's just boring." They didn't even really like the live version on SNL(they *tried to switch the channel!).

Don't get me wrong, it is a great song and I love it, but I think people calling it a classic is a little overkill. I think for something to be classic, it needs to be equally accessible and deep. While Sometimes is very deep, IMO it doesn't appear to be nearly as accessible as U2 classics like Pride or Streets that you mentioned. Which, in the end will make it a fan favorite or a classic to hardcore fans, but I do not think it will be a classic to the general public.

I haven't ever liked Kite. I thought it was pure cheese from the moment I heard it. I'm sorry. It's the only song from ATYCLB that I always skip over. SYCMIOYO has the potential to be cheesy, but instead it's pure emotion. I cried the first time I heard it. It's probably my favorite song from the new album.

I LOVE Kite, but I can't seem to make it part "Can you hear me when I siiiiiiiiiiiiiing" without choking up. :sad: I think Sometimes is more emotional.

Kite walks all OVER SYCMIOYO. There is no contest. Kite is by far the best song on the last album and I have yet to listen to Kite without getting a deep chill and welling up of tears when the "In summer I can taste the salt of the sea..." and into the "I'm a man" part. God - so incredible.

Kite, I love SYCMIOYO, however I think the lyrics in Kite are a little more complex. Kite is both a visual song and emotional. I love the love the "I want you know that you don't need me anymore"
part. Kite is such a beautiful metaphor about letting go of control.

Back
Top Bottom