KITE Appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
neutral said:
:heart: I wouldn't say this song is my favorite but it means more to me than just about any other U2 song. I listened to it over and over on my trip home to see my father for the last time. Thinking about the lyrics helped me to tell him it was okay for him to go. It was a very big deal for both of us... If I ever meet the boys I hope I can thank B. :)

:hug:

I feel much the same way; this song helped me through the death of my grandmother. It's a eulogy, a song that celebrates family love and the cycle of life.

I think it's U2's most beautiful song, and they've done a lot of beautiful songs.

For me, kite is one of u2's finest songs. Its up there with one in an emotional sense, even more so than Sometimes You cant....
Also it has special significance for me as wen I hear it it reminds me of a friend who, the last time I saw her alive was at u2 concert and for some reason I associate her with that song (prob coz of the songs roots) She was a great music lover and I had harped on for years about getting to see u2 live. Am so glad she did. So for that reasons it is probably the most meaningful u2 song for me.

Zootlesque said:

The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

(not the most inspired lyrics). :slant:

Well, I'm sure this verse means alot to Bono, otherwise he wouldn't have appended an obtuse lyric like this. It seems like a (zoo?) confessional that closes the chapter on '90s U2. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

On a similar note, I remember Bono saying that Mofo was a very personal song for him. Upon listening to it for the first few times, it did not sound like a 'personal' song. Only after repeating listenings did I come to realize what he was talking about. I've come to believe that only U2 could write techno music with heart. :up:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
:yes: Beautiful song indeed but it definitely grew on me. One of my biggest pet peeves about this song has always been the last few lines...

The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

(not the most inspired lyrics). :slant:

do those lyrics not just sum up Bono's philosophy though? he see's himself as the last of the rock stars willing to promote himself the band and rock in general to the word..that has been where the wind has been blowing him...he didn't know it at the start but now he does...new media such as the Ipod or the internet are all the big things now..new media which he is seeking to use but hes also disheartened by thats how far ambition in this world goes...he believes people should be having bigger ideas than new gizmos etc as he says 'a poverty of ambition'...that's my take on it.

:drool: :drool: :drool: You won't hear many better songs than Kite, but in my eyes it wasn't perfect. The first verse (from 'Something is about to give' - 'And when I'm flat on my back I hope feel like I did') annoys me a bit. Plus from after the first chorus onwards doesn't flow very well. But as for the rest of the song -

OH MY GOD. I didn't think it was possible to make a song (or a part of it anyway) sound THAT good. The chorus is to die for. It is the best chorus I have ever heard.

I also agree with LJT about Bono's philoshophy. It's like what music is now - the last of the genuine rock stars as hip-hop takes over the world (check the US top 20 - i guarntee you that about 70% is hip hop).

I also love the 'I a man...I'm not a child' part. WORDS CAN NOT EXPRESS HOW AMAZING THIS SONG IS.

I wrote a letter to my dying grandfather and I included the chorus to this song.
'Who's to say where the wind will take you'
Who's to know where you go after you die.
'Who's to say what it is will break you'
Whether this disease you have will break you.
'Who's to know when your time will come around'
Pretty self-explanatory.
'I don't wanna see you cry'
Don't get upset as - 'I know that this is not goodbye'

Sometimes the emotion in this song brings me close to tears. If i ever meet U2, the first thing I will do is shake their hands for making this song.

This is a song to enjoy on numerous levels, as are most of their songs. The deeper you dig, the more you uncover. But it is a beautiful song!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom