Just watched the Last Night on Earth video...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:

You are missing the point of that song. By about a million miles.

Just because I'm discussing the chorus in isolation doesn't mean I don't get the song. :|

Axver said:

Just because I'm discussing the chorus in isolation doesn't mean I don't get the song. :|

You cannot dissect a song like Ultraviolet! You just cannot! It's about a relationship and the whole song tells a story! It's not like he's repeating 'Baby baby baby, light my way' 15 times till fade! That's why your BSB comment doesn't make any sense to me.

edit: Okay... so he apparantly repeats it 10 times. :rolleyes: But the point is it's about a fractured relationship and there's so much depth to those lyrics! It's not a lame love song along the lines of 'As Long As You Love Me' or 'Quit Playing Games'!

Last edited:
just wanted to say i think most performance videos are pretty lame.

like vertigo? terrible

give me something interesting like LNOE

That's my favorite U2 video! It's so cool and funny. The way they shot it, like a B movie from the 70's, is so awesome! I particularly enjoy the bit where Bono kicks the woman on the ground and then looks around. Haha! Hilarious! :lmao: And the ending with the army guy giving them the go ahead and then the guys walking straight into the light with William Burroughs at the end is pretty cool. He is the man who invented the expression Heavy Metal! :drool:

Not to mention that it's one of their best rock and live songs! :rockon: I love listening to the album version with phones (there's so much happening on each channel, specially with the guitars.) :drool:

LuvandPeace1980 said:
The Original film clip had captions all through it a bit like a comic.
Something like "Our Heroes proceeded to take the girl to.." etc
And right at the end it says
" The Truth is really out there"
They removed these captions for the Best Of DVD.

And the song rocks especially Live !
Whaaaaat? I never saw this version! :shocked:

Last edited:
LNOE is a very good song but much much better live. Same with Miami. But the video for LNOE ? Its fucking stupid.

U2girl said:

And yeah, what captions is everyone talking about?

When they showed the video on MTV, the video had subtitles at the bottom of the screen (i.e. "the truth really is out there" spoofing The X-Files). I honestly don't know why they removed them for the Best of DVD. *scratches head*

I wish I had taped it back when it premiered on MTV. *sigh*

Axver:

The song is supposedly being sung to the greater power, not to a woman. Greater power doesn't neccessarily have to mean God - it did in Bono's case when he wrote it - but it can mean whatever you percieve the greater power to be. The subject of the song is going through the breaking of a relationship, is very depressed and despaired, and is asking the greater power to 'light my way' through it. It's not some 'baby baby baby I love you' boy band crush song that 13 year olds think is profound and meaningful but is actually about as deep as a puddle. It actually IS profound. He's not saying, 'I love you, light my way', he's saying, 'I'm hurt and lost and in despair and I don't know what the fuck to do anymore, I gave everything I had to a relationship that failed, I have nothing left, light my way'.

Aardvark747 said:

OHMIGOD!!!!!!

Last Night on Earth is brilliant!!!! :love: :love: :love:

:edge: I haven't really been able to write a chorus that works...

:bono: Let's just scream something then.

:edge: You got it.

YOU GOTTA GIVE IT AWAY, YOU GOTTA GIVE IT AAWAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!

:drool:

forty said:

When they showed the video on MTV, the video had subtitles at the bottom of the screen (i.e. "the truth really is out there" spoofing The X-Files). I honestly don't know why they removed them for the Best of DVD. *scratches head*

The version on Yahoo! Launch has the captions.
"Not our heroes... They knew the secret of the light."
:D

BTW, the only thing weirder than this song is the First day in Hell remix. It's quite possibly the weirdest thing u2 has ever done. I like...

1. the video is hilarious. i am from kansas city, and the fact that they chose the ghost town-concrete wasteland that is downtown kansas city (if anyone of you has ever driven through it in the middle of the day you know what i mean) is perfect. I always thought that the downtown KC area looked like a postapocalyptic world, i guess U2 must have agreed.

2. i remember in high school (i was a senior when POP came out) U2 wasn't the coolest (i guess they still aren't) people thought POP was a DISCO album (because of Discotheque) and didn't want to hear any of their stuff. But I'll be damned if EVERYONE at my school didn't try to get the day off when they found out that U2 was downtown shooting a video.

3. William S. Burroughs cameo is brilliant (he is from Lawrence, Kansas after all - which is also the home of the University Of Kansas, which is also the home to ME)

4. The live version of the song is easily one of my very favorite U2 moments. The large POPMART screen pitting closeups of BONO and EDGEs faces against one another as they shout dueling "you gotta give it away"s... lame chorus or not, that is a rocking moment. And the final solo is truly sublime. I always think... if LNOE had the popmart ending and MIAMI had the HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN/POPMART LIVE VERSION ending... my head would explode... (I was going to say the album would be perfect, but it already is...)

5. If you don't get POP, you just need to listen more. Depending on the day, it is easily my favorite U2 album (the other days it is Achtung Baby. Today it is POP)

Clawgrabber said:
1. the video is hilarious. i am from kansas city, and the fact that they chose the ghost town-concrete wasteland that is downtown kansas city (if anyone of you has ever driven through it in the middle of the day you know what i mean) is perfect. I always thought that the downtown KC area looked like a postapocalyptic world, i guess U2 must have agreed.

2. i remember in high school (i was a senior when POP came out) U2 wasn't the coolest (i guess they still aren't) people thought POP was a DISCO album (because of Discotheque) and didn't want to hear any of their stuff. But I'll be damned if EVERYONE at my school didn't try to get the day off when they found out that U2 was downtown shooting a video.

3. William S. Burroughs cameo is brilliant (he is from Lawrence, Kansas after all - which is also the home of the University Of Kansas, which is also the home to ME)

4. The live version of the song is easily one of my very favorite U2 moments. The large POPMART screen pitting closeups of BONO and EDGEs faces against one another as they shout dueling "you gotta give it away"s... lame chorus or not, that is a rocking moment. And the final solo is truly sublime. I always think... if LNOE had the popmart ending and MIAMI had the HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN/POPMART LIVE VERSION ending... my head would explode... (I was going to say the album would be perfect, but it already is...)

5. If you don't get POP, you just need to listen more. Depending on the day, it is easily my favorite U2 album (the other days it is Achtung Baby. Today it is POP)

:up:

Axver said:

If you think "baby, baby, baby, light my way" is actually brilliant, I know some Backstreet Boys CDs you'll enjoy.

Actually I believe it goes:

Baby, baby, baby.....baby, baby, baby.....baby, baby, baby...light my way. lol and some people who love this song actually have the nerve to accuse U2 in the 00's of being 'radio friendly'. :lmao: :lmao:

Does anyone really listen to baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby light my way baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby light my way baby baby baby baby baby baby light my way baby baby baby light my way and think of a deep profound moving reflection on love, or do you think that it's October 1991 on deadline for the album's mastering and Bono can't think of a decent outro?

The lyrics succeed in spite of the fairly cliche chorus of 'baby's, not because of it. It's not wrong to look at a subpar part of the song's construction.

BTW- I love the song.

Uh huh. Well, on the subject of baby, baby, baby, light my way... if you want babys, I'll give you babys :wink:

http://s60.y s i .com/d.aspx?id=2UH5618S2N7TX3QEH2YFN1FN4P

Yes, I have too much time on my hands. I was going to add more babys to that, but I got all annoyed and frustrated at the way Bono tends to run his words together, and gave up.

Ok, so I'm glad someone else started this thread, I just got the videos for 1990-2000 as an early Christmas present and I saw that video and was kinda just like :|

So glad someone mentioned that captioned version of the video, though after watching that version the video still made me go :|

that's ok, I do like that they're doing something in that video, just like that's the reason I like both versions of Stuck in a Moment, btw, does anyone know where a thread about the first video is for Stuck?

Anyway, just to put in my two cents, not to make an argument, I believe that as a whole Ultraviolet is a good song, and honestly the Baby baby's are what made me notice the song in the first place...:wink:

last nigh on earth rocks(great video) have you seen the new videos thay are making horrible!! and Ultra Violet is a brilliant song!! great vocals DUH!

forty said:

i have it on vhs

Clawgrabber said:

Brilliant Post

And Last Night On Earth is an extemely relavant song.
She hasn't been to bed in a week, she'll be dead soon then she'll sleep

WHat I don't understand is that when they came here, Bono was talking about how he wanted to meet God but got sold religion...

and listening to previous bootlegs, I can hear like a video being played... maybe with those funny cartoons that were shown when played live...

The live version of the song is easily one of my very favorite U2 moments. The large POPMART screen pitting closeups of BONO and EDGEs faces against one another as they shout dueling "you gotta give it away"s... lame chorus or not, that is a rocking moment. And the final solo is truly sublime.

hell yeah :drool:

and being on at 12 frames per second made it even greater :drool:

Back
Top Bottom