Just watched Across the Universe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trinity3000

Acrobat
I know it's like so last year, but I just watched it and I thought Bono did a good job. His acting was pretty good I thought, not that there was much other than the singing, but he pulled it off. Compared to his acting in Sightings of Bono, where he played himself, I thought he was shite in that.

I watched it last week and loved it, but honestly Bono was weak compared to the rest of it. I agree he did a good job, for Bono, but I thought his part of the movie wasn't as fun as other parts.

I actually thought Bono was one of the high points in the film. I thought him hamming it up was a much-needed dose of comic relief in a movie that otherwise took itself too seriously.

You all know how much I despise this film and everything it represents.

But Bono's songs were pretty good. The acting was painful. I mean, he went in and out of accent at random. He sounded southern in some parts and Irish in others. WTF?

yeah he did lose the accent a bit. I would have thought since he's a pretty good mimic he could hold an accent. Merril Streep he aint.

I loved the movie and thought he good.

I'm recommending it to my dad, cos he's a Beatles fan, it might be a bit too trippy for him though.

corianderstem said:
I actually thought Bono was one of the high points in the film. I thought him hamming it up was a much-needed dose of comic relief in a movie that otherwise took itself too seriously.

My thoughts exactly

I loved his acting there, even though the accent thing, anyway, Dr.Robert is kind of crazy junkie too so I think that has to do with the accent thing...
anyway the singing was very cool but the music background of I am the Walrus wasn't as cool as in the soundtrack :)

I'm still kicking myself for not making a spoof cartoon for the filming of Across The Universe. Would have been a goldmine.

Uh so I finnaly watched this movie last night....let me say that while I am a huge Beatles fan I was not impressed by this film.

OK I know this thread isnt exactly about the film in general....but being weird just to be weird doesnt always work for me. MacPhisto weirdness is cool since there is a message behind that but trippy flat sounding covers of the beatles isn't. I wasnt even impressed with Bono's part really.

mandrake said:
Uh so I finnaly watched this movie last night....let me say that while I am a huge Beatles fan I was not impressed by this film.

I would be very surprised if there are any Beatles fans impressed by the film.

Varitek said:

it's not too late, is it?

Depends on how desperate I get. If the album is delayed another year because they couldn't get the right Edge beanie for the cover shoot come November, then you can count on it.

I thought the movie sucked but Bono wasn't half bad I was really proud of him

I found it hard to sit through the whole movie, but my 15 y/o step daughter has discovered the Beatles' music and bought her first Beatles cd thanks to the soundtrack, so I guess something good came out of it. :up:

I just looked at this movie as a piece of art. The Bono scene was funny! I could tell that he is not used to acting, but I think he did a pretty good job.

I haven't seen it but I saw some of the Bono scenes on You Tube, they were quite cool.

I have the soundtrack album, most of the Beatles covers are quite good.

It's definately worth a watch. I really liked it, but some of the premises for having a song seemed really flimsy and forced.

susanp6 said:
I'm a massive Beatles fan and totally loved the whole film :heart:

ditto!

It's interesting how when Bono is the Fly or Macphisto, he is totally in character. I'm sure its hard to see someone else's vision of a character, let along act it out on film. He did ok.

I thought it was great too. Such a piece of art and yet it gave the feeling of the times even if it wasn't true. I especially liked the scene where the guy was inducted. But, unfortunately I did think Bono was a bit flat. I almost got the impression that the director didn't direct him.

Back
Top Bottom