Just saw U2 live at Slane Castle!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AM

Refugee
ok, I just saw it and it was amazing!!!!!!!! Music and some small interviews in between. They didn?t show the whole show, just 9 songs, but they were great. They showed:

1. elevation
2. bd
3. stuck in a moment
4. angel of harlem (with Bono helping Larry to count in!)
5. out of control
6. streets
7. pride
8. one
9. walk on

The songs are from the second concert, but the interviews are obviously from the first show (Bono talking about his fathers funeral).

The band is in top form and they are really enjoying themselfs. Even Larry can be seen smiling a couple of times and he even laughs in one shot

This is a must for every U2 fan to see!!! It?s about 1 hour long.

I hope that they?re going to put out a dvd, until then I?ve got it on tape So I?m going to watch it again right away

Do you know if what you saw was what will be the CBS TV special or what will be shown in the special theater viewings during the first week in November to promote the Best Of 90s?

AM said:
but the interviews are obviously from the first show (Bono talking about his fathers funeral).

I'm confused...didn't Bono's father die months after the first Slane show?

Re: Re: Just saw U2 live at Slane Castle!!!

typhoon said:

I'm confused...didn't Bono's father die months after the first Slane show?

Nope, I'm not sure of the exact date, but it was sometime around the 21 of August. Slane 1 was on Aug 25 and Slane 2 was on Sep 1.

On the first Slane show, Bono altered some of the lyrics of bad to: "If they should ask/Well maybe they tell me what I should say/Let go of life and not want it back/To let go of your body as it turns to black/Colours crash, collide in your bloodshot eyes/If I could you know I would/If I could I would let it go"

AM, was this on TV or what? Did someone tape it? convert to mpeg and put it on Internet? It's weird how the fate of what is going to happen with the Slane concert is being covered up pretty well, like is there gonna be a DVD? if so, why haven't we heard about it. It's rather sneaky.

He died a few days before.
Died on Tuesday 21st August. I was at the show in London that night.
Slane was on Sat 25th August.

p.s. thats awesome AM. I wanna see!!!!!!
How the hell are you anyway matey?

August 21st is also Bono and Ali's wedding anniversary...how sad that their 20th this year was also the first anniversary of his father's death.

I'll be seeing the Slane show on IMAX in Toronto on Nov.4th so thanks for posting the details. I can't wait!!!

Another U2 website reported that a 1 hour highlights program of the Slane Castle concert was shown on Iceland TV. I imagine this what AM saw. At the present time U2 may not be promoting the release the Slane DVD so as not take away focused attention from The Best Of 90s CD and The Best Of 90s Videos DVD. Also they may be ?testing the waters? in the U.S. with the public and the critics. The Slane DVD may be viewed and criticized as overkill. Yet U2 may be hoping that the Slane DVD is simply ?riding the wave? of their recent great success with ATYCLB ? the Elevation Tour ? The Grammies ? the Super Bowl ? etc. Strike while the coals are hot ! - especially after they deliberately cooled their jets by not extending the Elevation Tour and further promoting ATYCLB with Kite and In A Little While being released as singles. Maybe if The Best Of 90s doesn?t do well and receives a lot of negative criticism they will delay the Slane DVD until the middle of next year and not even air the Slane TV show.

From another perspective I imagine U2 is chomping at the bit regarding the Slane Special. I think they want it to be a huge success to make up for the ABC POP Special which holds some kind of record for one of the worst viewed TV shows in history. I predict that U2 will air the Slane special but this time they are taking advantage of all the ?Sweeps Month? promotion that will come with it. I predict that they will not air it on a Saturday night when most people are out at parties or renting movies. Maybe a Tuesday night. I hope it sets some kind of record for most watched music special ! (And I hope the Slane DVD on December 12 !)

From another U2 mailing list
?Just saw the 50 minutes show - U2 Live at Slane Castle on the Icelandic television this evening. Whow! and I thought that Elevation Live in Boston was amazing. This concert footage is in my opinion so much better than the Elevation Live in Boston DVD disk. I?m not sure how to describe it. It just seeme to have even more spirit, soul and energy in it. The band seem to enjoy themselves so much, smiling, joking and laughing, and just giving there hearts out, especially Bono emotional as usual, but now at more personal notes. It included nine songs:
Elevation
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a moment
Angel of Harlem
Out of Control
Where the Streets Have No Name
Pride
One
Walk on

Between songs Bono talks in his dressing room alone in front of the mirror of how crap they were the last time they played at Slane Castle many years ago, that he thinks The Edge even throw up, and how he is still saying goodbye at this concert to his father who just had been buried the day before. Well, I won?t spoil the pleasure of this show by telling you more details, can?t wait to hear what others think of it. Just hope they will put it out on DVD in it's whole as soon as possible.
Arni

U2Soar said:
Another U2 website reported that a 1 hour highlights program of the Slane Castle concert was shown on Iceland TV. I imagine this what AM saw.

that?s right!!! Normally our tv sucks big time, but not Friday night :)

I taped the show and I guess I could make some copies for you guys if you can play PAL.

But how do I convert the tape into mpeg so that I can put it online?? I?d like to share this with you.

Last edited:
Search for U2 on www.mydigiguide.com and what do you get....

U2 Weekend: Live at Slane Castle (Music) Starting: 00:35 on Saturday 9th November. Duration: 1 hour and 5 minutes Showing on Channel 4 (UK).

bounce.gif
flash.gif
bounce.gif
flash.gif
bounce.gif
flash.gif
bounce.gif
flash.gif
bounce.gif
flash.gif

Kind regards, Alan

Oh, look! They've also revealed the date for the United States airing!

From TV Guide:

Airing on CBS on February 26th, 2004 will be a U2 special like no other. Featuring 7 songs (9 in other nations, but here in the U.S. they've just got to show more commercials) and a few interviews with the band members, The U2 Live At Slane Concert Extra Special Spectacular will ROCK YOU LIKE NEVER BEFORE. Featuring songs from the band's "new" album ATYCLB, this special will leave you wanting more. But you won't get it because most Americans will be watching Friends, thus making this special very low rated and making it impossible for another to air.

Well, what can you expect in Dick Cheney's America?

Ehhh, is that February 26, 2004 or 2003?!?!?! I hope its 2003. I don't think TV guide or anyone really sets dates for things nearly 18 months away.

yeah i just saw it and it was totally, totally amazing

even got to see myself on it which was cool

setlist was slightly different than that one which was shown on iceland tv in that there was no angle of harlem. instead we got sunday. cant wait for dvd.

1 elevation
2 b day
3 stuck
4 out of control (amazing version- without doubt the best live song i have ever heard)
5 suday b sunday
6 streets
7 pride
8 one
9 walk on

an incredible concert

Back
Top Bottom