Just my view on Passangers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well I bought this album for $4 from Cash Converters about a week-and-a-half again, and here are my thoughts. Feel free to comment, and add your own.

Slug is beautiful. A slow, melodic build-up, with gentle instrumentals and vocals that mesh together brilliantly. The only thing that wrecks it a bit for me is the ending and some of the overbearing noises in the intro. Otherwise very good. I'd give it a 7/10.

Your Blue Room is another beautiful gem. Much in the same way as Slug, the instruments and vocals mesh together very effectively. I prefer this to Slug though, just because it's more gentle and calmer, and has a nicer ending. Whose is the falsetto? It adds another layer of beauty to the track. 8/10

Miss Sarajevo is the only other standout track for me. Again, the vocals are terrific. I prefer the Milan version, but this album version has a significant haunting quality, and is awesome when Pavarotti comes in. 7/10.

The other tracks were either a bit too diverse or boring for me. United Colors is kind of scary in a way.
Always Forever Now has a nice touch to it, that fast-moving feel, but is a tad too long.
A Different Kind of Blue is boring and quiet, but Brian Eno's vocals are nice in places. Beach Sequence flows nicely, and this is a better track. I like the instrumental, and wouldn't have been surprised if you told me it came from TUF sessions.
I didn't like Ito Okashi much at all (what does that translate to?), but again the vocals are alright.
I like One Minute Warning's fast pace-edness, and it joins Beach Sequence in the best of the rest.
Corpse is quite haunting and joins United Colors as a track I would not like too hear if I'm home alone at 2 in the morning.
Elvis Ate America is one of the most annoying songs I have ever heard, and subsequently didn't like it a great deal. Who sings the 'Elvis' bit?
Plot 180 is another boring instrumental to me, which is nice, but nothing else.
Theme From the Swan is extremely boring, but nice enough. Theme from Let's Go Native is better, and again I'm a fan of that fast pace. It's the best of the instrumentals the album has to offer.

Sorry If I've offended anyone here, but these are my thoughts. These songs will grow on me in time, I have no doubt, but in the mean time it probably ranks last of U2 works I have. But, that said, Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 has three absolutely magnificent and beautiful songs in Slug, Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo.

Your thoughts?

Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room are good, the rest doesn't do anything for me.

I liked your review, but I think that this album is an extremely slow burner. Stick with it! It took me years to appreciate it fully. I think that the first nine tracks are of high quality, but it becomes a little more patchy after that. Corpse I don't like, but Theme from The Swan and Theme From Let's Go Native are excellent. I think the beauty of this album is the flow and the disparate ideas that are contained in it. You mentioned Different Kind of Blue, which I really like as part of that three track sequence that ends with Miss Sarajevo. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of One Minute Warning - a great track, but one of the ones that took me a long time to get into.

Give it a bit more time and maybe some of the tracks will find a notch in your brain and hook themselves on! Oh, and fair play for getting it so ridiculously cheap!

PookaMacP said:
I liked your review, but I think that this album is an extremely slow burner. Stick with it! It took me years to appreciate it fully. I think that the first nine tracks are of high quality, but it becomes a little more patchy after that. Corpse I don't like, but Theme from The Swan and Theme From Let's Go Native are excellent. I think the beauty of this album is the flow and the disparate ideas that are contained in it. You mentioned Different Kind of Blue, which I really like as part of that three track sequence that ends with Miss Sarajevo. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of One Minute Warning - a great track, but one of the ones that took me a long time to get into.

Give it a bit more time and maybe some of the tracks will find a notch in your brain and hook themselves on! Oh, and fair play for getting it so ridiculously cheap!

Yeah when I saw it I was like, no way! I thought I was gonna have to order it from Amazon or something but I purchased it then and there. It was a bit scratched but worked perfectly, so I'm very happy with the pick-up.

Passengers is a great experience that takes some getting used to. The only blemish is that annoying "Elvis Ate America" thing that disrupts the entire feel of the album. I really can't stand that song.

And "One Minute Warning" is a hidden jem. Love the ending. So intense and sadly beautiful.

COBL_04 said:
Your Blue Room is another beautiful gem. Much in the same way as Slug, the instruments and vocals mesh together very effectively. I prefer this to Slug though, just because it's more gentle and calmer, and has a nicer ending. Whose is the falsetto? It adds another layer of beauty to the track. 8/10
[/B]
My favourite U2 song of all time. That falsetto belongs to one Mr Bono. God, I wish he could still do that. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

On Elvis Ate America, I think it's Chuck D from Public Enemy who sings/says "Elvis". My first memory of a Passengers song was hearing Your Blue Room on a in-store cd at Starbucks back in the mid 90s, and then getting Passengers and realizing it was the song I heard, what makes the song better is Adam's only recorded vocal, ever, on it.

Hoodlem said:
Passengers is a great experience that takes some getting used to. The only blemish is that annoying "Elvis Ate America" thing that disrupts the entire feel of the album. I really can't stand that song.

And "One Minute Warning" is a hidden jem. Love the ending. So intense and sadly beautiful.

Elvis Ate America has grown on me a little, and I think the lyrics are interesting. But the song is kind of annoying, yeah, and it doesn't have the same feel as the other stuff on the album, you're right.

Totally agree on One Minute Warning, too. It's one of my favourite songs on the album.

COBL, I agree with your review mostly, though YBR gets a definite 10/10 from me. Passengers is an amazing album to listen to when you're in a car in the middle of the night watching bright lights go by. That's what it was made for, I think. I can just imagine walking through Tokyo or New York at 3:00 AM while listening to it. If you took each song individually, it may be U2's weakest album (if you consider it a U2 album). However, if you consider it as a whole, it flows together better than any other U2 album.

At first, I must confess, that I didn't like the Passengers album, it was kind of hard to digest, because if you're expecting an U2 album, it shakes all the structure, it's not an U2 album. I do not consider it an U2 album - well, belonging to their base catalog - because of that substancial differences and because of Eno's big envolvement.
But I have to say that I learned to like the album, and it pleases me much, I like to listen to it most of the times before I go to bed, kind of relaxing.

Howie B be the guy who shouts "Elvis!"

Slug and Blue Room and Sarajevo are indeed the highlights.

It's a great album for creative writing. Put it on in the background and go to town on your story/screenplay/poetry/etc.

COBL_04 said:
Well I bought this album for $4 from Cash Converters about a week-and-a-half again, and here are my thoughts. Feel free to comment, and add your own.

Slug is beautiful. A slow, melodic build-up, with gentle instrumentals and vocals that mesh together brilliantly. The only thing that wrecks it a bit for me is the ending and some of the overbearing noises in the intro. Otherwise very good. I'd give it a 7/10.

Miss Sarajevo is the only other standout track for me. Again, the vocals are terrific. I prefer the Milan version, but this album version has a significant haunting quality, and is awesome when Pavarotti comes in. 7/10.

The other tracks were either a bit too diverse or boring for me. United Colors is kind of scary in a way.
Always Forever Now has a nice touch to it, that fast-moving feel, but is a tad too long.
A Different Kind of Blue is boring and quiet, but Brian Eno's vocals are nice in places. Beach Sequence flows nicely, and this is a better track. I like the instrumental, and wouldn't have been surprised if you told me it came from TUF sessions.
I didn't like Ito Okashi much at all (what does that translate to?), but again the vocals are alright.
I like One Minute Warning's fast pace-edness, and it joins Beach Sequence in the best of the rest.
Corpse is quite haunting and joins United Colors as a track I would not like too hear if I'm home alone at 2 in the morning.
Elvis Ate America is one of the most annoying songs I have ever heard, and subsequently didn't like it a great deal. Who sings the 'Elvis' bit?
Plot 180 is another boring instrumental to me, which is nice, but nothing else.
Theme From the Swan is extremely boring, but nice enough. Theme from Let's Go Native is better, and again I'm a fan of that fast pace. It's the best of the instrumentals the album has to offer.

Sorry If I've offended anyone here, but these are my thoughts. These songs will grow on me in time, I have no doubt, but in the mean time it probably ranks last of U2 works I have. But, that said, Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 has three absolutely magnificent and beautiful songs in Slug, Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo.

Your thoughts?

The Milan 1995 live version is realy good, Bonos falsetto are amazing.

MrBrau1 said:
If it's experimental, it must be brilliant.

Yeah, I get that vibe a lot too. Can't say I agree with the OS1 > Bomb comment, but each to their own.

Any other thoughts on Passengers? Any Slug fans out there?

COBL_04 said:

Any other thoughts on Passengers? Any Slug fans out there?

I think if it were a full blown album with a tour and all that jazz, people would be holding it up to more scrutiny.

That said, I think if you took 4 tracks from Passengers, Slug, YBR, Always Forever, Miss Sarajevo (which I don't like but most do) and put them with the best 8 or 9 from Pop in some fashion, you'd have an absolute classic album, one of U2's best.

I think Slug is absolutely incredible.
Bono sounds ace. Looking for some of his lowest notes? It might be in that song. I can't hit a few of those low notes in Slug, that much I do know.

Your Blue Room= a crime that it didn't make a real album.
Always Forever Now=I've always thought this was a great song, a personalo favorite.

I like others as well, I mgiht one of the 5 people who like United Colours. I like Beach Sequence, One Minute Warning and Theme From Captive, which is a great groove.

If this era of U2 would just go off and create some off the mark songs, not even using any teched up stuff, just songs that aren't given that much thought, but sounds good or interesting, I think most of us would be surprised about how good it really is.

U2DMfan – I love United Colours too! I haven’t thought about your idea of Passengers and POP combination but I’ll give it a look.

In Flanagan’s Bible, U2 expressed their fascination with Tokyo and the desire to record an album there. And from Passenger interviews with Bono and Eno it appears that Tokyo served as an imaginary location and inspiration.

This is a compilation that could be something like a secondary soundtrack to imagining / picturing a film like “Lost In Translation.”

Here’s an “album” that combines Passengers and Zooropa with a focus on the themes of sensory overload, disorientation, numbness, etc.

TOKYO

Zooropa – 6:30
United Colours – 5:31
Lemon (Perfecto Mix Single Version) - 6:20
Always Forever Now – 6:24
Bottoms – 4:11
Numb – 4:18
One Minute Warning – 4:40
Slug – 4:41
Your Blue Room – 5:28
If You Wear That Velvet Dress – 5:14
Stay – 4:58
The Wanderer (Soundtrack Version) - 5:19

*Lemon (Perfecto Mix Single Version) 6:20 [an edit I made from its 8:56 by cutting about a minute from the start, about 45 sec. of an instrumental section ¾ through, and about a minute from the end] I choose the Perfecto Mix because I felt the energy of it suited the “rush” in the opening tracks.

Originally, I placed The Wanderer in the middle because I’m attracted to an open ended final track that the song “Stay” could have provided. Do these two lost lovers “stay” together? Does each “stay” in their current relationships?

Last edited:
I can't remember where I read it (Into the Heart I think) but they said they wanted to record an album in Tokyo that you could listen to while on a train. So essentialy Passengers is a 'train' album.

passengers is such a beautiful album, a very slow burning album but you will get your rewrds if you stick with it.

I was in Japan last year and on the bullet train and I pre-set a playlist with United Colours, Always Forever Now and Slug (with some other stuff on there)

The experience, looking out the window, listening to those tunes...it was amazing...

Looks like I'm the only one who likes "Elvis" :)

I really really really hate the album artwork though...It should have a nice artsy cover rather than that abomination.

I'm not really a huge fan of the album, but I think Your Blue Room and Always forever now are the best songs on it, both great songs, especially Your Blue Room

MrBrau1 said:
If it's experimental, it must be brilliant.
THANK YOU! The mindset of most people around here who consistently retain that mentality is enough to drive me up the walls sometime. Don't get me wrong, I love their 90's stuff ("Zooropa" is a work of brilliance by the way, not "Passengers"), but to say that Passengers is "brilliant" is jumping the gun a bit, eh? It's good, but by no means "brilliant." Now before you lambast my opinion, I wouldn't exactly say HTDAAB is brilliant, either (but it is the better album of the 2).

Still, I love both... but just because one record is experimental and another is "safe" does not necessarily mean the experimental record is better (unless it succeeds in its' endeavors, i.e. AB and Zooropa).

EDIT: Just for kicks and giggles, my favorite tracks off Passengers -
Slug
Your Blue Room
Always Forever now
Miss Sarajevo
Ito Okashi
One Minute Warning
Corpse (...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom