Just Heard on MSNBC Bono was at party for Dennis Hastart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dennis Hastert is a Republican representative from Yorkville, Illinois, and is Speaker of the House in the U.S. He is second in line for the Presidency after Vice President Dick Cheney.

I am from Illinois and he is very down to earth. He is a former school teacher and wrestiling coach.

He's also one of the most rabidly right-wing lawmakers in the country, and has contributed in no small part to the darkening of our country's image in the world. Most recently, he's baselessly accused philanthropist George Soros of accepting money from drug cartels, and refuses to apologize for that. A disgusting, vile specimen, to be sure.

But someone Bono has to work with secure more money in Congress for the fight against Global AIDS and extreme poverty. :ohmy:

We need to always remember that Bono doesn't hang out with politicians because he wants to, but because he has to in order to save as many lives and futures in Africa as possible.:wink:

I'm all for him lobbying our government (and other 'first world' govs) to do more to halt the AIDS pandemic and address issues of extreme poverty in Africa but to see him rub shoulders with people like this makes me nauseous...

UGH!

bratty_cat said:
I'm all for him lobbying our government (and other 'first world' govs) to do more to halt the AIDS pandemic and address issues of extreme poverty in Africa but to see him rub shoulders with people like this makes me nauseous...

UGH!

You're not alone... Bono has frankly admitted that members of his band feel exactly the same way.

But...

You can't just hang with people who share your own point of view to accomplish what he must accomplish. I used to have a somewhat similar position in which I had to put aside my personal feelings for the greater good. I have a great deal of respect for him in that regard.

Just the other night on the O'Reilly appearance Bono recalled how his meeting with Jesse Helms led that senator to emotionally apologize for his original treatment and opinion of AIDS victims.

And...Remember that maybe his "angry guitar player" has created some awesome music for the new album as a result of that frustration!

PopDaisy

This guy Hastert is one of the biggest advocates of AIDS funding for Africa in congress. Bono sees and appreciates the good in everyone and does not judge, or in his own words, he does not 'tar them all with the same brush'

Advocating AIDS funding and actually providing that funding are two different things -- Bush and the Republicans in Congress have a nasty habit of saying they're for things like $15 billion in AIDS funding and the No Child Left Behind Act and then not actually providing those funds. Just because Bono has to work with them doesn't mean they're decent people.

The No Child Left Behind Act has caused far more problems in our public schools than it has solved. As a parent with kids in school, and a friend and relative of several teachers, it's frustrating. Basically all it is is a class and a test they force the teachers to take at their own expense, just more red tape. Because of it, more kids HAVE been left behind with teacher shortages in many places and in many subjects, larger class sizes and less personal attention. But I guess this is a subject for another thread. Any time the gov't gets involved in something (regardless of administration in power!) there is more red tape and trouble than it's worth.

And I don' t think any politician is really a 'decent' person :|

Back
Top Bottom