Just got back from the NYC show...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonoBabe40

War Child
One word...AMAZING! Details and pics tomorrow...I really need some sleep...

hey there!

if you would like to submit a writeup for our readers - shoot me an email! glad you got to go!!

absolutely...as soon as I come down from this cloud...

Bono was 3 feet from me!!!

Diane...everyone there was like in the 30-50 age bracket! I wish you had gone...they didnt even check the tickets!

BonoBabe40 said:
Diane...everyone there was like in the 30-50 age bracket! I wish you had gone...they didnt even check the tickets!

I know, and to think I almost didn't go!!!! There was a woman near me who looked VERY motherly...maybe 50 or so?...and others looked like long-time fans as well.

By where I was standing, though (near the crane to the left...I was probably in a straight line with you but many rows back), there were a lot of college-age people and slightly older.

And one guy brought his adorable little boy. That announcement about "no flash photography" made quite an impact on the little guy, because every once in a while he'd blurt out, "No more flashes!"

And thank you for thinking of me--I DID make it!:hug:

Last edited:
OMG you went? I wish I had known...I was the one in the red sweatshirt, hanging in front of Edge....

I saw a wide range age there, too. There was even alot of people who brought their kids along.

Diane L said:
I'm so glad you went!! It WAS wonderful!!!

You decided to go too?

Okay I should read before I write. I am so glad you decided to go. It was an amazing show. Today is my birthday so it was like U2 played at my birthday party although I didn't know all the people that showed up.

One4U2 and I were front row off to the left side. Right in front of Bono when he was holding up the Irish Flag. I don't think I will be coming down from this high for a little while yet.

Last edited:
Yes! I was there! After being such a drama queen yesterday :reject:, I decided to take a chance. And no one checked my ticket!

There are no words for what I am feeling right now--just sheer joy and delight. I am in love with the world!

Diane L said:
Yes! I was there! After being such a drama queen yesterday :reject:, I decided to take a chance. And no one checked my ticket!

There are no words for what I am feeling right now--just sheer joy and delight. I am in love with the world!

:up: :applaud:

Even those of us who didn't go had a good time today I think. We kept each other company via the multiple truck threads :lol:

Glad that everyone who made it had a good time :hug:

youtwohearts said:

I thought I recognized you from the picture but I wasn't 100% sure so I never came over. Now I wish I did.

Damn I wish you had! Were you part of the crowd surge that slammed me against the railing when Bono held up the flag? :wink:

I cant wait to get these pics developed...

Yay!! I was there too! It was sooo awesome! We got an hour long show instead of 30 minutes! Eleven songs! And what a setlist!!! Everybody around me was looking at me crazy for knowing all the words to the new songs, LOL. Diane, I'm soo glad you went! I'm still high!!!

elfyx said:
Yay!! I was there too! It was sooo awesome! We got an hour long show instead of 30 minutes! Eleven songs! And what a setlist!!! Everybody around me was looking at me crazy for knowing all the words to the new songs, LOL. Diane, I'm soo glad you went! I'm still high!!!

Thank you, elfyx!
I'm not sleeping. And I'm not coming down from this high for a long, LONG time!!!

BonoBabe40 said:

Damn I wish you had! Were you part of the crowd surge that slammed me against the railing when Bono held up the flag? :wink:

I cant wait to get these pics developed...

No, I was right up against the railing probably a couple of people away from you. I wouldn't push. :)

I was the person who held up the camera and just clicked until he moved away.

:sad: I'm so bummed, I wanted to go, but couldn't pull it off. Does anyone know when this will be televised or available on the internet for us to see? (besides still pics?)

I feel so left out. Craving the love and energy of it all! Can't wait to go to the shows!!!

Diane L said:

Thank you, elfyx!
I'm not sleeping. And I'm not coming down from this high for a long, LONG time!!!

I cant sleep either...too wired...too hyper...and SO HAPPY! This was a once in a lifetime opportunity that will probably never happen again.

Glad you went Diane...I think we need to meet for lunch next time Im in NYC and compare concert stories :)

I got there late, and the security wouldn't allow a whole bunch of us in until the last song. But even so, I am so glad I finally got to see the band! I've never been to one of their concerts and this was my first one!

I was there and I could not be more thankful that the band did this. I am sure some people could not get in. There was quite a crowd.

Here's some of my harried recollection of the afternoon:

I ended up about 20 yards away from the stage, to the left, pretty good view of Edge's head the whole show. When I swung my neck all the way to the right I could get a glimpse of Adam. Bono and Larry, on the other hand, I could only see when all the heads in front of me aligned in the perfect direction and I was on my tiptoes.

But they all looked very cool and Bono commented at one point in the show on "Mr. Clayton's" posh jacket or something. Then he mentioned that Larry was the only member of the band "hard enough" to not wear a jacket in the middle of winter in Brooklyn. (Don't tell Bono it is still Fall).
Then he asked Larry, "are you sure you don't have thermals on under that shirt? Do you want to show us?" Not surprisingly, there were many whistles at that point from the ladies. And no, he did not show us--oh well.

As far as the concert itself--from where I was standing, about 20 yards out--the sound was not awesome. The guitar did not seem crisp enough in the sound sytem on the first few songs. Of course, the main goal was to get the sound right for the television. I am not complaining, just saying that because this park is located on the river, right under two major high traffic bridges--they needed a lot more amplification. Bono even asked if it sounded okay and he at one point asked for the sound mix to be altered a bit.

Aside from the crazy front row fans :) i think many around me were not superfans and many did not know the new songs. A few people near me even left after the first few songs. Wackos.

Bono gave a few "song explanations" before Miracle Drug, Sometimes and COBL. After telling the story about his dad for Sometimes, and thanking his dad for the new voice he has that can hit higher notes again, Bono introduced the song saying something like, "Bob, thanks for the note, hope I don't fuck it up."

The crowd had a great reaction, whistling and cheering for Bono when he hit the "big" part of the song, hitting the note during "can you hear me when i siiiiiing." That was cool to see the crowd appreciate that.

They played OOTS with Edge on piano and Bono on guitar. Without Edge's lead guitar on this song, Larry really took over, especially at the end, the drums drove the song to its crescendo. They then played She's A Mystery to Me right after that--the whole song, too, not just the first verse. Bono's voice broke on the chorus as it usually does on this song, but oh man, i love that song and what a treat to hear it live and in person. I actually took a mental picture in my head to never forget that moment as Bono sang that first line "Darkness falls...." with the skyline lit up behind him and the sky turning from grey to midnight blue. Really an amazing sight (and sound).

As Bono neared the end of She's A Mystery to Me, he announed "I'm not sure how to end this" and everyone laughed as he figured it out.

The crowd momentum began to build and the place was rocking from the beginning notes of Beautiful Day through the end of the show.
When they played I Will Follow, everyone was pogoing. And then they played Out of Control....what can you say.
AWESOME.

Anyway, sorry for rambling, just wanted to give my own mental picture to all those who couldn't be there.. I can't wait for more reports from the front row crowd. I really am grateful for today. I do thank God for making me a U2 fan :)

Last edited:
First time poster, long time fan and lurker. I got there about 2:30 like everyone else. I didn't have a ticket and was just going to sit across the bay n the rocks until the NYPD chased us off. I had to cimb over a metal fence to get in.

Anyway, a brilliant experience, made all the more wonderful by the incredible setting. I was about 40 feet out, couldn't really see the boys very well...I agree about the sound, it was pretty subdued. For the encore I went way to the back and it sounded better.

Bono's voice definitely much better than on Elevation...I hope it can hold up!

Here's a photo my friend took from today's show...

U2-018_cropped.jpg

More to come after I have a chance to crop and resize.

Enjoy! Great show BTW.

oh.my.god.

20 feet from the stage and still the concert was amazing ^____^

band did a great job- even though bono admitted they still didn't know how to play oroginal of the species that well. also- it was cute when they played mystery girl because they didn't know how to end it. bno said "how do we end this?" larry sort of shrugged and ended it with a crash

here's one of the pics i took:
DSC03574-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom