Just for fun... my top 65

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

indra said:
As for the actual topic of the thread -- I guess I'd have to put most of U2's songs from their early albums on my list of 65 faves as I don't know many songs past those

ssssccccrrrreeeeeeeeecccccccchhhhhh!!!!

(needle off the record)

Come again?!

???????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

twochordcool said:

ssssccccrrrreeeeeeeeecccccccchhhhhh!!!!

(needle off the record)

Come again?!

???????????????????????????????????

Oh, U2 isn't my favourite band. Hasn't been in 15 or so years (although they were for a few years in the 80's). I don't hate them and I still enjoy many of the songs I know...I just found other music that worked so much better for me. :shrug:

Hell, I didn't even know they'd released an album in 2000/01 (whichever it was) or that they had toured in 2001/02 until a couple months before I joined this board. Yeah, I'm a bad U2 fan. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

indra said:
Oh, U2 isn't my favourite band. Hasn't been in 15 or so years (although they were for a few years in the 80's). I don't hate them and I still enjoy many of the songs I know...I just found other music that worked so much better for me. :shrug:

Hell, I didn't even know they'd released an album in 2000/01 (whichever it was) or that they had toured in 2001/02 until a couple months before I joined this board. Yeah, I'm a bad U2 fan. :wink:

Why do I feel like I'm being tricked?

And if I'm not and you are serious, then why do you even bother here...if you're such a..."nonchalant" U2 fan?

Considering what you yourself has said here, is your credibility not completely gone?

I loved U2 back in the 80's as well, and the reason that I DO feel as strongly as I do about them is BECAUSE I haven't found any other band that has even come close to "working better for me" - and I'm ALWAYS in search of great music.

I'm confused and flabbergasted.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

twochordcool said:

Why do I feel like I'm being tricked?

And if I'm not and you are serious, then why do you even bother here...if you're such a..."nonchalant" U2 fan?

Considering what you yourself has said here, is your credibility not completely gone?

I loved U2 back in the 80's as well, and the reason that I DO feel as strongly as I do about them is BECAUSE I haven't found any other band that has even come close to "working better for me" - and I'm ALWAYS in search of great music.

I'm confused and flabbergasted.

I don't know why you feel as if you are being tricked. I've never claimed to be a huge U2 fan on this board. I guess you just made an assumption.

Mostly I hang out in other areas of this board (we discuss other bands and even other subjects in other areas of this board :ohmy: ), but every once in a while I come here too. :)

And just how is my credibility gone? Just because I don't stick my fingers in my ears and chant "I won't listen to you evil people because you don't agree with me, nah, nah, nah" at the top of my lungs when anyone says something I disagree with about U2 (or any other band)? Is being unable to comprehend that other people have different opinions about certain songs/albums/videos/whatever of a band you both claim as your favourite the mark of a "credible" fan? If that is so, then I guess I am not credible, but I believe one can dislike certain aspects of a band/musician, but still intensely love it.

Again, as I have posted several time before in response to your comments -- it is fine that you like/love without reservation any and all U2 stuff. Good for you. But not everyone feels the same. And that is also fine. In fact it makes for better discussions -- who wants a wgoleboard of nothing but "Oh my god, they are the best!!!" Oh, yeah, baby, they are the best!" "Ooooh! yeah nothing better! All their songs give me orgasms every time I hear them!" "Oh wow, yeah, the same for me!!! ooooohhhhh!!!!!" ? (well, the constant orgasm part could be fun.... :) )

And if you don't know who my avatar is you must not look all that hard for great music. :tongue: :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just for fun... my top 65

indra said:
And if you don't know who my avatar is you must not look all that hard for great music

I do, but I will admit that I am not crazy about black and white movies, regardless of how amazing they are supposed to be - and I am not a huge fan of music too far removed from my generation - with the exception of some Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaikovsky!

Having said that, I haven't completely ignored and overlooked other music either - just haven't heard any band that really consistently impresses me - I like some of this and some of that but nothing as wholly and completely as U2!

I have to admit that I am mesmerized and fascinated by them!

My brother is completely and totally unimpressed by them and I have to admit that I feel sorry for him - because I think that they are like a spiritual experience and have brought me tremendous joy over the years.

:)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

On a final note (for tonight!) Bono has called their concerts as being in his "church", ie, "this is my church!"...and I know what he means because, their music, particularly live, "lifts" me in a spiritual kind of way.

(cliche cliche! but true!)

Now, even if a band like The Who is great, do they have that kind of an effect on people?

I don't think so.

Other music can be great, but I think it can lack that "lifting" effect that U2's music has on millions of people.

twochordcool said:
On a final note (for tonight!) Bono has called their concerts as being in his "church", ie, "this is my church!"...and I know what he means because, their music, particularly live, "lifts" me in a spiritual kind of way.

Now, even if a band like The Who is great, do they have that kind of an effect on people?

I don't think so.

Other music can be great, but I think it can lack that "lifting" effect that U2's music has on millions of people.

That is so funny to me because my friend and I were making a list of things last weekend that might be overheard at U2 concerts and one of them was "I heard that going to a U2 show counts as going to church!"

Sounds like a thread to me...

longingforBono said:

Sounds like a thread to me...

I think there is one. Check the Goal is the Soul forum.....

(and yep, I am bored tonight. I figure this place is as good a time-waster as any though. :) )

twochordcool said:

I don't think so.

Depends on the people. Pretty much like anything.

VertigoGal said:
damn. i hadn't looked in this thread before, saw indra was the last poster, and thought she was going to give us her top 65 U2 songs. but alas...:tsk:

:wink:

i don't think i'll bother reading the first 2 pages :up:

I still have to find 65 U2 songs I can remember. :reject:

Although if someone wanted to give me an ipod with every U2 song loaded on it I promise I would listen to them all and pick 65 to post here.... :D

Well I could do ysi's but that might possibly take a while as I havent mastered the fine art of zipping files. :hmm:

seriously, I try not to do the converting-people thing but twould be a shame for you to miss out on 90s U2 (although you may not like it if you didn't like achtung baby)

it just tears at my heart that you don't know the beauty of a song like "big girls are best" the loving tribute to his pregnant wife. :heart:

oh man, so many discussion about a thread that was all about me wasting free time :laugh:

twochordcool, you can apply the same thing to me: the first seven songs of my list are well defined and then you can tie all the others at #8. There are few U2 songs that I really don't like: Fire, Stranger in a strange land, shadows and tall trees, red light, miami, numb, daddy's gonna pay, elvis ate america, stuck in a moment, wild honey, all because of you, desire.
Besides that 19 songs you can tie all of them at #8. But I tried to order some of them just for fun.

Oh, and U2 does not need to be your favourite band to be around these boards. I use to rank U2 at #1 but somedays is Pearl Jam, or Iron Maiden or Xutos&Pontapés(portuguese band)... it changes.

MacPhistoPT said:
Oh, and U2 does not need to be your favourite band to be around these boards. I use to rank U2 at #1 but somedays is Pearl Jam, or Iron Maiden or Xutos&Pontapés(portuguese band)... it changes.

People can rank U2 wherever they want and come here and post...

I guess it just bothers me that people come here, proclaim that Slayer is their favorite band, and then commence to be highly critical of great U2 songs!

Pearl Jam is OK, but they are NO U2! (And when all is said and done I think that will be universally and unanimously agreed upon!)

Iron Maiden reminds me of when I was 14 years old!!! I'm now 38! Actually they, along with Judas Priest, were the first band that I ever saw in concert - Madison Square Garden, "Number of the Beast" tour!

But I'd like to believe that I have evolved and matured since then, and thus my taste in music has too!

I've never heard of Xutos & Pontapés, and so it would not be fair to comment about them....but I have never heard of them so that says something in itself!

Last edited:
Of course the bands I listed are personal preferences. I used them to give examples, I wasn't comparing them to U2. Just because U2 are special and impossible to compare IMO.

I just wanted to say that U2 are my overall favourite band but I love some others band like I love U2! Although I consider myself a diehard U2 fan :drool:

You're 38... I'm 16... :lol: It's normal that we have different tastes. But of course we have THAT thing in common: U2! :)

Off-topic: Just for info, Xutos & Pontapés are hardly known outside Portugal. Their lyrics are all in portuguese. They are the most successful portuguese rock band, they're around since 1982 and they have an awesome fan legion with them. Just like U2, in their shows you see people from 15 to 50. It's a shame there aren't more portugueses around this board, they could confirm this. Oh, and their name means " Kicks & Shots " :)

MacPhistoPT said:
You're 38... I'm 16... :lol: It's normal that we have different tastes. But of course we have THAT thing in common: U2! :)

16!

That's great that you like U2 at 16!

I know that a lot of people your age love U2, but unfortunately even more DO NOT like U2 - they're too busy following what is "trendy".

Funny little story -

I had a job opportunity about 3 hours from where I currently am, but it did not work out.

I had to travel for that job, immediately...so it did not make any sense to get an apartment (flat?)...so I ended up putting everything in storage - including 95% of my music - and 95% of my U2 CD's!

Anyhow, after I saw U2 recently I realized that I COULD not live without certain U2 CD''s..........

and while in a store I noticed that A LOT of older U2 CD's have come WWAAYY down in price!

So I recently bought "War", "Unforgettable Fire", "Joshua Tree" and "Achtung Baby"!!!......

because I wasn't about to drive for 3 hours to go to my storage and get them!!!

I feel kind of silly for owning 2 copies of those CD's!

ANYHOW!

I live in New York, and my son, who is living in Florida, is now 14.

And I am hoping that he will soon get an interest in great music.

SO!

When I finally get all of my belongings out of storage, or put my things in storage closer to where I currently live, I plan on sending him those 4 CD's.

Last edited:
That's a good idea...

" from father to son "

My best friends all like U2. Two of them own some albums, another one loves some songs I played to him like "Until the end of the world" or "Out Of control". But besides them... I only have another friend who likes U2, he's 18 and he's a diehard just like me. He even met the band last year here in Portugal when they shot the HTDAAB cover. Mainly because his three brothers (all older than him) love U2 too. His sister was the girl that Bono put on stage here in Lisbon during WOWY, and that means something :laugh:

Cheers

twochordcool said:

I feel kind of silly for owning 2 copies of those CD's!

Wait a minute....

What kind of fan are you, not owning multiple copies of most of your favourite band's albums? Huh? That is just soooo WRONG!

My top favorites:

1. Walk On
2. Elevation
3. Pride (IN THE NAME OF LOVE!)
4. Gone
5. Until the End of the World
6. Lemon
7. The Fly
8. Mysterious Ways
9. One
10. Where the Streets Have No Name