Just came back from Eze! and heard:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YBORCITYOBL said:
It's truly amazing how things get taken so way out of context..... i must say that i enjoyed Onyourkneesboy' initial post and enjoyed hearing about some new music from the boys. Especially from someone who happened to be there in person.... Thanks for sharing the experience.

And it's truly amazing how some people read only what they want to read.

The first part of his initial post was indeed about the opportunity he had to hear some of U2's music while he was near their homes.

Then he launched into this tirade about how "safe" the last album was (as if past albums weren't "safe"?) and how lazy the band is recording at their "plush" homes. And I'm sorry, but I took issue with that. It's odd that you focused on only the first part of his post, but utterly dismissed the second.

Now, if you agree with his views, that's fine. But don't accuse the rest of us for taking things out of context when you apparently didn't even see them!

doctorwho said:
Now, if you agree with his views, that's fine. But don't accuse the rest of us for taking things out of context when you apparently didn't even see them!
:up:

most of the original post seems to make hardly any sense, especially given what the same member posted later on this thread

apparently criticism about music is better appreciated over here than criticism about whether someone's post is making actual sense

which is funny because when it comes to music you can always say that you in the end taste differs

I have to agree with the thread starter. These last two albums were good but not great. Here's my breakdown. On the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby and even Zooropa they manage to take you to a place that they wanted to take you to. These last two albums take me nowhere. Though I enjoy listening to them, I know for a fact that its not their best overall. How do I know? Well recently I've been hearing Achtung Baby and I never forward any of the songs. From Zoo Station to Love is Blindness I listen to each and every one. Never forwarding it. On this last album I forward it as soon as A Man and A Woman starts. I also forward it when Yahweh starts. If you can honestly tell me you do not forward any of the songs on this last album, then maybe it is a gem. But I doubt that. Hopefully they have one more Achtung or Joshua Tree in them. An album that sets them apart from the rest and an album you can enjoy from start to end.

- artdirector

I don't forward anything on HTDAAB.

I'm editing to say I DID forward amaaw for a long time, but I decided to give it a 2nd chance, and I found something I hadn't heard before, I enjoy it now.

Last edited:
I love ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I do---I think they're fantastic and I listen to them all the time. Still, I really do think that if you listen to several of the songs that have been said to have been recorded in the South of France, they all have the same vibe of mellow electricity to them.

Like that vibe or hate that vibe, I think it is a reasonable thought to propose that the similarities could perhaps be related to the place in which the songs were recorded and the lifestyle/atmosphere related to that place. I think that you can say that and yet not criticize the merit of the last two albums. In fact, in the original post that started this thread, onyourkneesboy acted in this very manner-----he really did NOT criticize the last two albums. Yes, he did say that he felt they may not be as creative as previous albums, but that's it. In fact, he even said:
Although I like the latest 2 albums very much, they didn't have a smashing impact on me like the other albums did!
! No harsh criticism--neither toward the music nor toward other people---came until about three posts down.

I think that the original post has a valid point that can be rightfully debated--without even touching what albums "suck" and which ones don't. :shrug:

In the end, this is perhaps one of the most important thoughts of this thread:

stargift said:
even though you say it is very poor quality could you post what you heard anyway?

:yes: :hyper:

onyourkneesboy, if you don't want to share with all........utooguy@gmail.com :wink:

I could totally go for this clip too; maybe someone with great editing powers could try cleaning it up a bit too?

amakaxver@gmail.com

Please, please, please! :)

dr.dae said:
btw did he ever say something about posting it ?

In the first post:

onyourkneesboy said:

Then again I could only heard in flares because the sea was very loud at that time. Otherwise I would have posted it here. I taped it with my camcorder but afterwards there's hardly anything there but the sea, unfortunately...

Hi everybody,

Wow, what a requests!

But trust me on it: there's really nothing there besides waves and wind...

I was a little dissappointed myself too that there was really not a singular vague musicnote there on the camcorder...
I would certainly post it here if there was even the slightest sigh of music to hear.

I'm very sorry...

Ok I see.
No big deal anyway, it's just exciting to know there's still songs we haven't heard yet.
If however someone gets hold of something my s-file uploading offer is still here, just drop me a line.

artdirector said:
I have to agree with the thread starter. These last two albums were good but not great. Here's my breakdown. On the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby and even Zooropa they manage to take you to a place that they wanted to take you to. These last two albums take me nowhere. Though I enjoy listening to them, I know for a fact that its not their best overall. How do I know? Well recently I've been hearing Achtung Baby and I never forward any of the songs. From Zoo Station to Love is Blindness I listen to each and every one. Never forwarding it. On this last album I forward it as soon as A Man and A Woman starts. I also forward it when Yahweh starts. If you can honestly tell me you do not forward any of the songs on this last album, then maybe it is a gem. But I doubt that. Hopefully they have one more Achtung or Joshua Tree in them. An album that sets them apart from the rest and an album you can enjoy from start to end.

- artdirector

I agree, I can enjoy AB from start to finish without forwarding it. I can do the same with Bomb until I get to Yahweh. Its an ok song, it's not great. I still think the album is one of their best, despite what alot of people on here say.

On the other hand, I can't listen to JT, Pop, and ATYCLB all the way through. I guess taste is subjective..

I think location has some real significance on how they or anyone write's lyrics and or the music in general. I don't know why but the last 2 albums simply do not evoke the same passion for listening as everything else does (except for some of the live versions of the last 2) and I'm talking about from War to Pop.
With that said, I can't even say if it's U2 or me that has changed, or not changed in some ways.
I really love these 2 albums but I don't crave them as much as the earlier albums. That's just me however. But when I hear songs from ATYCLB or Bomb, I'm happy. :yes:
Who's to say however, that 5 or10 years from now- will I be wishing I could go back to the U2 of early 2000.
This probably doesn't make any sense, but then again I've never really been able to explain my obsession with U2.:wink:
I'm just waiting for what's next.. :drool:

I think its quite freakish that somebody would stand outside and record the material. So I agree with that Strokes guy. While it is nice to hear some material, to see what kind of direction they are going in it also ruins some of the initial fun of buying the album the day it comes out. I expect that the album will be leaked again before it comes out unfortunatly though.

But thanks for your opinion poster, can't say I agree with it though, if it wasnt for the last 2 albums U2 wouldnt be making this album because they would have been retired. I havent seen U2 ever have as much fun on tour as they have in the last 2 albums and there is something to be said for that.

Yeah but eventually you are going to hear the song for the first time, what difference does it make if it's today or tomorrow?

Id rather hear it in the quality it was meant to be heard not with waves crashing through the track and an unfinished version of it. Things like that can change your opinion of a song for the worse when it comes out on the album.

Back
Top Bottom