"JUDAS!" and UTEOTW -- The Bob Dylan Connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfeden

Refugee
calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decembe
A little something I stumbled across... interesting..

The most famous confrontation can be heard on the Manchester (U.K.) Free Trade Hall concert tape recorded May 17, 1966. Mislabeled on bootlegs as the "Royal Albert Hall concert," the crowd is unruly throughout the electric set. Prior to the finale, one fan screams "Judas!" to the delight of the crowd. After which, Dylan turns to the band and says "play fucking loud" before launching into Like a Rolling Stone.

From The Unofficial Bob Dylan Website

...Especially since AB was SUCH a reversal of JT and everything leading up to it, and some people may not have been born yet or been old enough to remember how angry some "fans" were at the time about this "new direction" U2 had gone, especially the hyper-religious people who wanted to project their own faith onto the band and were soooooo distressed at the band's description of AB's sound as that of "four men chopping down the Joshua tree...." "Judas" (and worse) was indeed hurled at them given their sudden 90-degree turn into the hypersexuality, shiny leather and gritty glamour coming out of the 'earnest young men' image they'd been somewhat mistyped by in the media from the JT era.

and we all know Bono's been nicknamed 'the magpie' with good reason...

It fits well...

I don't really have a comment, but that is very intersting. Thanks for posting it.

No Dylan connection there. If any, it is merely unintentional.

Bono surely would have no recollection of the 1966 Dylan concert. He is not that deep a Dylan fan (in the same vein that we all in this forum are deep U2 fans). Hell, Bono can't even remember the lyrics to a few Dylan songs he tried singing before.

If any, the song Until The End Of The World was inspired by this book called The Bible. The constant thing in all of U2's albums is Bono's Christianity and his being influenced by the life of Jesus and the Bible. Try reading Steve Stockman's book - Walk On: The Spiritual Journey Of U2.

Bono takes inspiration from the life of Jesus, and his musical heroes include the great psalmist King David. Bono is only marginally influenced by flash-in-the-pan hacks like Dylan.

Cheers,

J

my favorite U2 lyric is from The Fly:

It's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky
The universe exploded 'cause of one man's lie

But who does he mean by "one man's lie" ? He can't be talking about Judas here because it sounds more like something akin to the Big Bang, so is he talking about Adam in the Garden of Eden leading to Sin that we all bear because of or is he talking about the Devil. :macdevil: This has had me stumped for a long time with no real answer from anyone. :|

Last edited:
jick said:
No Dylan connection there. If any, it is merely unintentional.

Bono surely would have no recollection of the 1966 Dylan concert. He is not that deep a Dylan fan (in the same vein that we all in this forum are deep U2 fans). Hell, Bono can't even remember the lyrics to a few Dylan songs he tried singing before.
Bono is only marginally influenced by flash-in-the-pan hacks like Dylan.

Cheers,

J

You're funny!!!

Back
Top Bottom