JT to U2 is equal to.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popmart86

Acrobat
Metallica's Black Album

think about:
both their fifth [studio] album
both made them bigger than they were before
both were different and more MAINSTREAM

i bet [like the black album] old, hardcore U2 fans were probably pissed when they heard 'WOWY' or 'still havent found.' compared to BOY and WAR. :|

A large portion of Metallica fans saw the Black album as a sell out. It hasn't aged well, for you don't really hear anything off the album on radio anymore.

So I don't really buy it.

It's a lot better then anything metallica ever did!
I hate their lame drummer! One of the most annoying people on the planet!!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
A large portion of Metallica fans saw the Black album as a sell out. It hasn't aged well, for you don't really hear anything off the album on radio anymore.

So I don't really buy it.

enter sandman
sad but true
the unforgiven
nothing else matters

the radio STILL plays those songs all the time.

i mean dont get me wrong, i LOVE both the albums. i just wanted to point that out.

popmart86 said:

enter sandman
sad but true
the unforgiven
nothing else matters

the radio STILL plays those songs all the time.

I haven't heard any of those songs played on the radio since probably the mid 90's but maybe it's just the markets where I've lived...

namkcuR said:

Creed.

Metallica was once a great band.

Creed never was.

Word! Metallica's One is a fucking masterpiece! Their first 4 albums are all really good. And I do like the Black Album, Load & Reload too to an extent.

But I don't really see any JT comparisons. Yeah, the 5th album mainstream thing maybe but only somewhat... Cos U2 were already mainstream with War & more so with UF! :slant:

Btw, Metallica... Green Day... What's with this annoying habit round here of dissing anybody that's not U2???

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

Btw, Metallica... Green Day... What's with this annoying habit round here of dissing anybody that's not U2???

I really haven't seen any outright dissing of Metallica in this thread. U2 gets more dissing than anyone in here.:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I really haven't seen any outright dissing of Metallica in this thread. U2 gets more dissing than anyone in here.:huh:

I don't mean to single blueeyedpoet out but I was talking about the tone in his/her post. So what if U2 share a song title with even Britney Spears? It's just a name. Geez! Anyway, the dissing I'm talking about may be more so in B&C than here... esp. Green Day.

Zootlesque said:

I don't mean to single blueeyedpoet out but I was talking about the tone in his/her post. So what if U2 share a song title with even Britney Spears? It's just a name. Geez! Anyway, the dissing I'm talking about may be more so in B&C than here... esp. Green Day.

My tone was not hateful or serious. I was just being sarcastic. I don't really care if U2 shares a song title with Britney Spears, so long as it's not something like "So in2 U".

As for my B&C comments about Green Day, I articulated that it's not their music I'm upset with. I'm upset with Green Day because they're selling their logo on pj's at department stores and Wal-Mart. I would be upset if U2 started selling the suitcase with a heart logo on pjs and underware at Wal-Mart.

And hey, do we not share a love for the Peppers?

Oh ok. :wink: It's just hard to tell who's serious or who's joking or being sarcastic without smileys... my post included!

As for Green Day, I wasn't talking about you but really more in general the attitude that some people esp. in B&C have towards them just because a lot of teens like them! Okay, so Billy Joe wears eyeliner and a lot of pop punk kids today listen to them. But don't dismiss the ambition and scope of an album like American Idiot cos of that reason! Green Day were the kings of pop punk before any of the stupid mall punker whatever bands showed up! Unfortunately, they have been put in the same boat as all the shitty bands that followed.

And yes, we do share a love for RHCP & Stadium Arcadium! I have nothing personal against you! lol!

In my opinion, although The Black Album is one of Metallica's best, "Kill 'Em All" and "...And Justice for All" are both better. To this day, I consider Fade to Black to be one of the best metal songs ever.

U2 fans likewise would argue over their best album. Good comparison between JT and "Black" though.

But enough about Metallica...

Zootlesque said:
Oh ok. :wink: It's just hard to tell who's serious or who's joking or being sarcastic without smileys... my post included!

As for Green Day, I wasn't talking about you but really more in general the attitude that some people esp. in B&C have towards them just because a lot of teens like them! Okay, so Billy Joe wears eyeliner and a lot of pop punk kids today listen to them. But don't dismiss the ambition and scope of an album like American Idiot cos of that reason! Green Day were the kings of pop punk before any of the stupid mall punker whatever bands showed up! Unfortunately, they have been put in the same boat as all the shitty bands that followed.

And yes, we do share a love for RHCP & Stadium Arcadium! I have nothing personal against you! lol!

In the words of the all-knowing Ashton Kutcher, "Sweet."

It's very simple to me.

The Joshua Tree is a fucking masterpiece.
The Black Album is a fucking piece of crap.

Seriously though, the departures in sounds aren't that different from The Unforgettable Fire to The Joshua Tree really, most of the overhaul to U2's sound occured on UF. Metallica changed their sound dramatically from Justice to the Black Album. They went from epic songs with time changes and really dark sonics to power puff "metal" designed to get on MTV. There is a big difference to me, at least.

I know full and well I'm being unfair to that album.
I harbor a lot of resentment for it.
I'll probably never be able to give it a fair shake.

"The Unforgiven" is a great song. "Wherever I May Roam" is really good as well. "The God That Failed" is good. "Nothing Else Matters" is infectious. "Enter Sandman" is kind of played out and not that great to begin with, but it's ok.

Back
Top Bottom