Joshua turns 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vivaSA

War Child
March 9, 1987
U2 release The Joshua Tree. It spent nine weeks at number one on Billboard's Top 200 albums chart and won a Grammy for Album of the Year.

A masterpiece. Happy birthday to one of the best albums ever made. I'll put it on to celebrate.

Happy Birthday Joshua Tree! In honor of your birthday, I hereby remove Rattle and Hum from my CD player, and put you in instead.

wow, i absolutely have to play that now in dedication to the album that started this whole U2 thing for me :)

Happy Birthday Joshua Tree :laugh: :heart: :up: :) with that album I became U2 fan, back in mid 1987 :yes:

Great memories, Joshua Tree was my first ever CD I bought, in 1990 ( at that time we still used cassettes in Chile :ohmy: )

FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS JOSHUA TREE !!!!!:heart:

although i was a big U2 fan by this time back in march '87 i didn't realise that they release a new album until i heard WOWY on the radio. i even was not sure whether this new sound was U2. but it was and it was sooo good. sweet memories... and those were the days back then: no hype at all and far and wide no internet around. congrats to U2s 2nd best album - one of their three classics:up:

*runs to the stereo, puts on joshua tree and dances and sings along like a stupid freak* it´s a classic. how many U2 fans you think will listen to it today? awesome! yay! such an amazing album! :applaud: :bow:

The album that was meant to be for that time in my life. I remember the day I bought it. Fold-out gate cover...lyrics printed on the sleeve...Adam looking quite different..and the music living up to the hype. My favorite album of all time, on many levels.

The band at it's best - Joshua Tree is brilliant but five tracks particularly stand out for me- Streets, I Still Haven't Found, WOWY, RTSS, One Tree Hill. None of the other albums can match the beauty, emotion and sheer epic nature of this one. Bono's vocals on I Still Haven't Found and RTSS give me chills.. and the first time I heard it, the opening of Streets brought with it goosebumps and tears.. and With or Without You is my favourite U2 song ever..

Happy Birthday!

Woooot!!! :dance:

Happy Birthday, The Joshua Tree!!!

**Now Listening to Running To Stand Still**

:dancing: :heart: Joshua Tree :heart:

Joshua Tree the timeless classic from U2 happy birthday to you Joshua a true classic that will last for generations.

The Joshua Tree is My favourite Album from U2. I listen to nothing but them and I can honestly say no other album has touched me like JT did, and still does. There are no words to describe this album and this band but simply...AMAZING!
Thank You U2 for everything! :heart: :bono: :adam: :edge: :larry: :heart:
Happy B-day Joshua Tree!

Happy 18th Birthday JT!

Excellent review Axver

I’d be interested in hearing how you see WOWY as conversation between Jesus and the Father.

You write: “The Joshua Tree opens with the 'holy trinity' It is for some a life-changing moment, for others a spiritual experience, and for many the very epitome of live U2. Streets tears down the walls, it reaches out and touches the flame high on desert plain, and it takes you where there is no sorrow and no shame, where the streets have no name.
But Streets is just the first third of The Joshua Tree's holy trinity. Next is the ringing guitar and rich singing of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, a song with some beautiful, searching lyrics, longing for the heaven that some feel is described in Streets. It wanders, but with purpose and direction, striving for something higher, something sacred, acknowledging the truth and affirming that it's never enough, not a substitute for the heights we won't reach in this life. And then the album slips into an intensely personal mode through With Or Without You, a song that some, like myself, see in a religious context, as a conversation perhaps between the Father and Jesus, or between a struggling believer and God, while others find an extremely powerful personal context through which to relate to a song that doubtfully has a fixed meaning. With Or Without You is universal U2 at its best, demonstrating the power of creating a song that many people can take and apply to their own lives without sacrificing the song's value.”

Have you considered a lyrical interpretation of “the JT trilogy”? The spirituality, theology, the faith relationship between the character and the “You” in Streets, the “You” in Still Haven’t Found, and the “You” in WOWY. I think it would be interesting to see if and how all 3 songs form one story, a single journey between a person and God.

Back
Top Bottom