Joshua Tree turns 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
arw9797 said:
It was released on March 9, 1987.
Holy shit!!! I should have remembered that - that's the day I turned 16. :ohmy:

I do remember that exactly two years later on March 9, 1989 there was B gazing at me from the cover of Rolling Stone. I was certain it was U2's way of telling me "Happy 18th Birthday". :lmao: Anyway, that cover is now framed & holds a place of honor in my U2 shrine. :yes: :bow:

Last edited:
I was one week shy of being 5 when the album was released. I didn't notice this album's existence at all until I was 13, in 1995. Saw WOWY video on MTV and loved it. My GRANDMA actually had the CD of this at the time, and I stole it from her. hehehe

That also means Pop's 10 year anniversary is coming up soon as well! I bought that one on the day of it's release. I was 14 and made my mom drive me to town so I could buy it.

I was 16 at the time of the release. There was no finer tool released in my quest to make out with girls at the dance, park, or back seats of cars. I scored a lot with U2 on my side. :wink:

I was 15 years old - and waited eagerly to listen to the new tunes, after having fallen in love with the album before. Thinking about this, not so much has changed since then ecpecting a new U2 album.
But in 1987 this was THE album - I played the vinyl record over and over. Years later, when I bought the CD, I really missed the scratches a bit, especially during "With Or Without You" or "Running To Stand Still".
Now, 20 years, THE JOSHUA TREE still is one of THE albums of all time. All the songs still sound brilliant: the studio versions as when they are played live. U2 proved it once more in 2005/06, not only with the (more famous) A-side, but also the B-side with excellent tunes like "One Tree Hill" or "Mothers Of the Disppeared". Guess, next time "Exit" should be rediscovered live, shouldn't it?

P.S.: Those were the times, when also the singles' B-sides might have given a good album tune. Just think about "Hold On To Love", "The Sweetest Thing", "Silver And Gold" - and, of course, "Spanish Eyes" ...

martha said:

Reggie, I'm a gonna come up there and kick your ass.

Get ready...

...baby. :flirt:

Ready....and willing...:shifty:

Seriously what about another 80's classic: Quiet Riot's "QRIII" it's gotta be their masterpiece...:whistle:

On a (really) serious note I think after watching U218 the Videos I have a new appreciation for those songs. I love those old videos...especially 'Streets' :up: Reminds me of being young naive and ready to take on the world...or at least my world...:yes:

Last edited:
The Joshua Tree is a month older than I am.

I bet some of you are feeling old right now. :wink:

I was like, 3-4 when it came out but everyone was playing it enough that by the time I actually knew who the hell U2 were, I knew every word to every song on the album. :|

Still holding out for an anniversary version EVENTUALLY with a DVD with the Red Hill Mining Town video. :mad:
I wanna see it, god damnit.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Ready....and willing...:shifty:

Seriously what about another 80's classic: Quiet Riot's "QRIII" it's gotta be their masterpiece...:whistle:

On a (really) serious note I think after watching U218 the Videos I have a new appreciation for those songs. I love those old videos...especially 'Streets' :up: Reminds me of being young naive and ready to take on the world...or at least my world...:yes:

I have "Metal Health" on vinyl...totally kick-ASS!

I was 11 year and 4 month-old when the Joshua Tree came out. I got my Joshua Tree cd in November 1993 (for my 18th birthday!), few months after I discovered Achtung Baby. As many U2 fans, the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are still me two favorite U2 albums. The first U2 album I bought the day of its release was Pop, which is turning 10 soon...

-Cyril

blueeyedgirl said:

Nah, I like to think of some of you as being too young. :wink: It must suck not being there at the beginning :tongue:

Well, of course. I envy everyone who was around to witness U2's golden years!

I was 14. Everyone knew they were going to be huge after the Live Aid bit. My friend called and told me he heard WOWY on the radio and tried to explain the "high, weird guitar part." I finally got a ride to the bullshit mall record store from this friend's sister and saw the huge cardboard in-store display for the CD.

It took me a while to warm to JT. I was a War man. But once it clicked, I never looked back. I remember buying an especially high quality blank cassette and cutting up the CD longbox (remember those?) and making my own custom tape case so I could take JT to school on my Walkman.

love2bmama said:
I have an idea it came out on St. Patrick's day, I'm not 100% sure but I think it did. I vividly remember buying it on release day, I was at the record store when they opened and bought it on cassette too, JC. :giggle:

I was 15 at the time, and had saved up my babysitting money to buy it

I am amazed how things have changed. A little bit off subject, but nowadays, 15 year olds just download songs illegally. The thought of shelling out babysitting money to buy music is a foreign subject to teenagers these days. They think music is free. My nephew for one. I am sad about that because I am sure that you do not regret spending your well earned money on one of u2's masterwork albums 20 years ago. And I bet you still have that vinyl album. I wonder how many teenagers stole How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb? My nephew? Yeah, probably. He will never spend money on music. He just thinks it is free. Very very sad. Sad because he truely believes that he is not stealling, that he is entitled to this music. Just need to vent.

"With or Without You" had been released a few weeks earlier...the anticipation for this album was huge. 19 at the time and coincidentally at an incredible turning point in my life. The perfect combination of being at the right place at the right time and the right age to experience what I consider to be the best record ever made. That's a mouthful but it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what I could say about this album and it's signifigance to me and music in general. I consider myself fortunate in this respect: We all have albums that are "special" to us for reasons other than actual quality, and we all have special relationships with quality albums. It's rare that the two combine so perfectly as they did that amazing day back in March of 1987. Happy anniversary to all of us who share the sentiment.

I was 9 going on 10 in 87. My birthday is in July. I wish I had got the album and even knew who U2 were then. But I had horrible taste in music, but I was 9! I just remember being in a music store in 87 and buying the soundtrack to "Light of Day" starring Michael J Fox and Joan Jett. Why oh why oh why oh why.

I remember the Joshua Tree era as if it was yesterday. I have never since experienced the thrill of listening to an album for the first time as I did when put the JT cassette on play.

The first 5 tracks were just 'wow'.

I won "Spanish Student Of The month" in Ms. Kisver's class. Prize was a gift certificate to "Record Town."

Got me the cassette.

RobH said:
"With or Without You" had been released a few weeks earlier...the anticipation for this album was huge. 19 at the time and coincidentally at an incredible turning point in my life. The perfect combination of being at the right place at the right time and the right age to experience what I consider to be the best record ever made. That's a mouthful but it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what I could say about this album and it's signifigance to me and music in general. I consider myself fortunate in this respect: We all have albums that are "special" to us for reasons other than actual quality, and we all have special relationships with quality albums. It's rare that the two combine so perfectly as they did that amazing day back in March of 1987. Happy anniversary to all of us who share the sentiment.

I was 19 also and it was a seminal moment for me also. I picked up the LP from Boots on the way home and listened to the LP on headphones in a pitch black room at night and it was a truly amazing experience.
WOWY on the tube weeks earlier had blown me away but this was just incredible, from the opening atmospheric buildup of Streets to the echoing closing bars of Mothers of the disappeared.
War was great, Unforgettable Fire brilliant but this was something I've never felt before and that feeling I will cherish forever. My greatest wish is that my wife would understand this but she's happy enough with her bocelli!

Back
Top Bottom