Joshua Tree Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where any of the Rattle And Hum songs leftovers from The Joshua Tree album? "All I Want Is You" in particular sounds like it was, and would have fitted in well I think. Can anyone shed some light on this?:yes:

I think the only song that was originally slated to be on The Joshua Tree, but was eventually placed on R&H was Silver and Gold, the studio version. According to a website I found, this was the original tracklisting (it was originally a double album):

Disk 1:
WTSHNN
Silver and Gold (Studio)
ISHFWILF
Spanish Eyes
WOWY
Luminous Times
Walk To The Water
BTBS
RTST

Disk 2:
RHMT
Race Against Time
IGC
TTYW
Sweetest Thing
OTH
Deep In The Heart
Exit
MOTD

I don't think any official tracklisting has ever been released, only vague confirmations that it was originally to be a double album. I've seen the site that list is from and it's just something a fan thought sounded good and incorporated all of the material from that era.

wertsie said:
Hmmm...I seem to remember that Heartland was a possibility for JT as well...
i heard this as well. its down home atmosphere would've fit in perfectly with JT, all but confirming it for me in my mind. :)

and typhoon, i agree with you. that track listing essentially took the JT track listing, and threw in some b-sides every so often. i don't think they'd ever come up with a concrete track listing for it to be two albums, i think they just picked and chose what would go on the album, and what would be reserved for b-sides.

wertsie said:
Hmmm...I seem to remember that Heartland was a possibility for JT as well...

Hello,

I know for sure that Heartland was a leftover, but I don't know if it was for JT or UF. If you look at the liner notes you can see that Brian Eno also contributes to the song (and he was absent for the R&H period). Come to think of it, IIRC it was recorded as Danesmoat (sp?) which is the home studio of The Edge. And I recall reading an article not too long ago which said that Heartland was replaced with Trip Through Your Wires on JT to make that album a bit more balanced (less sombre).

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

Come to think of it, IIRC it was recorded as Danesmoat (sp?) which is the home studio of The Edge.

Danesmoate was the place U2 rented to record some material for JT, but it was Adam who subsequently bought the place and he now lives in it. Just to get this right :)

and yes, Heartland was a leftover from JT

Personally, there is no question that Heartland serves as a musical link between the Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree. Elements of both albums are on that track. A beautiful "evolutionary" piece.

Deep in the Heart (I Still Haven't Found... b-side) is another one of these links between the Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree.

These are great songs.

Back
Top Bottom