Joshua Tree MFSL Gold CD!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike P

Acrobat
You have to get this CD!!

I have 4 of them.. UF, War, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and now I just got Joshua Tree.

The sound quality is the most amazing thing I've ever heard.

Imagine that you've been listening to the CD's all along with a blanket in front of the speakers...then the blanket is removed. That's how much more clear these sound. I'm hearing things in With or Without You that I've never heard before !!

Whew....must calm down:)

Anyway, my question to all of you: Does anybody else have any of the Gold CD's? What do you think of them?

-Mike

I would love to get a gold version of The Joshua Tree. I believe I have one of the original CDS that were released in 87, the sound is so low that I have to turn it up loud to hear it at a decent level.

Exit is one of the songs most hurt by this.

*edited because I am getting older and more senile so I have a tendency to leave important words out of sentences I type.

Last edited:
I have to say that the idea of having a copy of The Joshua Tree pressed on 24-carat gold really appeals to me.

I remember seeing the gold copy when I was younger and poorer (i.e., 14 or 15), and getting turned off by the $30.00 price tag. If it were out now, I'd buy it without hesitation.

It's not that much of a loss to me, though. The analog source I prefer and I think the vinyl version is the best....gets me the most nostalgic.

Melon

Slightly off-topic, but if you think the MFSL Dark Side of The Moon sounds good, get the new remastered SACD version (it has a regular cd layer, too, so it works on all regular cd players). It beats any remastered version out there.

I've got an sacd player - Dark Side of the Moon is almost reason enough to own one. :D

I somehow doubt U2 will release anything on SACD. They never have seemed to put too much emphasis on hi-fi recording techniques or the like.

Amazon has two used ones on sale. One is going for $256.00, but you can get the other for the bargain price of only $99.00. Woohoo. What a deal.

Mike P said:
You have to get this CD!!

I have 4 of them.. UF, War, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and now I just got Joshua Tree.

The sound quality is the most amazing thing I've ever heard.

Imagine that you've been listening to the CD's all along with a blanket in front of the speakers...then the blanket is removed. That's how much more clear these sound. I'm hearing things in With or Without You that I've never heard before !!

Whew....must calm down:)

Anyway, my question to all of you: Does anybody else have any of the Gold CD's? What do you think of them?

-Mike

I have all three. The least of an improvement in the Unforgettable Fire. It's not that much better than the regular CD. The best is the Joshua Tree, it really comes alive in the MFSL Gold format. War is also great and it also has that extra bit in Seconds (or was it another song?) that is not in the regular CD.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Re: Re: Joshua Tree MFSL Gold CD!!

jick said:
War is also great and it also has that extra bit in Seconds (or was it another song?) that is not in the regular CD.
Yes, "Seconds" is fifteen seconds longer because the sampled section has been extended. I think "Like A Song..." is longer too.

Last edited:
The gold cd's sound better because of the mastering process involved, not the gold coating on the disc. The gold itself will last longer and is more resiliant than the aluminum used on normal cd's.

I would never advocate copying, but theoretically a cd-r copy of a gold cd will sound identical to its source.

Wow, those gold cds are going for hundreds of dollars used?

I remember seeing them at Best Buy back in 1995 for 24-34 dollars.

DAMN.

they certainly are expensive now.

I passed them up as a gimmick when I saw them in best buy a few years back. Big mistake. I could have gotten the 3 for $75, and I ended up paying about $110 for the 3. ugghh.

But it's worth it. the quality is that good.

oh...and Dark Side of the Moon is impressive. I have a very good audio setup, including very nice headphones, and I've never enjoyed music more than JT & Dark Side on the gold cd's.

Too bad MFSL went out of business. No more new Gold CD's.

-Mike

Mike P said:

I passed them up as a gimmick when I saw them in best buy a few years back. Big mistake. I could have gotten the 3 for $75, and I ended up paying about $110 for the 3. ugghh.

oh...and Dark Side of the Moon is impressive. I have a very good audio setup, including very nice headphones, and I've never enjoyed music more than JT & Dark Side on the gold cd's.

-Mike

If you've got a good headphone setup (as I do), you owe it to yourself to get the new remastered SACD of Dark Side of the Moon (it's regular cd compatible too). It sounds friggin' incredible!

Mike P said:

-Mike

MFSL is coming back!
http://www.mofi.com/
Hopefully they will rerelease their older stuff and I won't have to pay $100 for a gold Joshua Tree.

Back
Top Bottom