Joshua Tree Digitally Remastered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

communist

The Fly
For the love of god, I dont understand why there is not a digitally remastered version of this album out.

I mean Sony has gone back 30 years and have digitally remastered almost all of Pink Floyd's entire catalogue, and I am sure the Joshua Tree was recorded using more advance equipment than what Dark Side or the Wall used.

Interscope (Vivendi Universal) should really consider digitally remasterding the Joshua Tree... Achtung onwards the albums are fine, since they were recorded digitally.

I think it's still one of the best sounding and best produced albums ever. I'm sure they could make it cleaner and clearer if they remastered it, but there isn't any urgent need.

There's an MFSL remaster out there (though out of print); I have their Unforgettable Fire gold disc, and it's great, so you might want to track that down if you need your fix.

If anything, though, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is the worst sounding (purely sonically) album they've released, and I'd argue it needs a remaster more.

U2's production is really top notch on all of their releases...........there isn't a need for remasters........

now, The Beatles, on the other hand......

I would agree that U2's recording have been top notch for the times they were released in... but the Joshua Tree really needs remastering done to it, so it can be heard really nicely in the modern sound systems...

Back in the day, Pink Floyd's recordings were top notch too, but the digital remastering made a world of a difference...

Now if the Joshua Tree could be released in a 5.1 mix... i guess thats asking for too much!

Both U2 and Bruce Springsteen are probably the two biggest artists whose back catalog has not been newly remastered yet. I'm not sure what they are waiting for. Sure, the production on the albums is great, but they do need an updated remastering job. I can just imagine how Boy wouuld sound. :drool:

And although there exists gold discs of War, UF, and JT (and they do sound good), those remasters are well over ten years old. New ones would be great.

U2 have said in past interviews that they feel like they'd be ripping off their fans by repacking their "old" albums. I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd love to have them remastered and maybe add B-sides or demos to the CDs. :drool:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
U2 have said in past interviews that they feel like they'd be ripping off their fans by repacking their "old" albums. I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd love to have them remastered and maybe add B-sides or demos to the CDs. :drool:
Honestly I doubt there are THAT many unreleased/demo tracks sitting around in the U2 vault. They let some real gems go with the 80s b-sides, and the 90s b-sides, well, who likes DANCE REEEEEEEMIXes? The B-sides have been getting much better again with ATYCLB and HTDAAB though.

Listen to the album if you want thear what it's supposed to sound like...nothing like the needle tracking those grooves...sounds like they're right htere in your house playing.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
U2 have said in past interviews that they feel like they'd be ripping off their fans by repacking their "old" albums. :drool:

Yea but it seems like they have no qualms about about doing it with their current album! As in the three "editions" of HTDAAB.;)

I'm all for a remastered JT, and hopefully this time they'll figure out where One Tree Hill ends and Exit begins.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Totally agree! I'd love to have super-clean, super-clear recordings, especially of JT, War, Boy, AB and HTDAAB.

I'd be all for a remaster of the Joshua Tree since my vinyl copy is YEARS old and probably worse for wear, my CD copy isn't my Dad's which I keep forgetting to give back...my Cassette copy is cassette...need I say more on how it's sounding NOW?!

The only things I think that need doing are the usual remastering stuff, crisper sound and so on...but the ONLY problem I've EVER had with the Joshua Tree is the VOLUME ON "EXIT!" It's too quiet at home, it's too quiet on the bus, it's too quiet when I'm out cycling...it's annoying as hell!

communist said:
For the love of god, I dont understand why there is not a digitally remastered version of this album out.

I mean Sony has gone back 30 years and have digitally remastered almost all of Pink Floyd's entire catalogue, and I am sure the Joshua Tree was recorded using more advance equipment than what Dark Side or the Wall used.

Interscope (Vivendi Universal) should really consider digitally remasterding the Joshua Tree... Achtung onwards the albums are fine, since they were recorded digitally.

Digital remasters don't guarantee great audio. In fact analogue audio on top notch equipment is still the choice of many artists recording TODAY. A great vinyl on a good turntable sounds way better than a CD. If you happen to own the Pop album Limited Edition (double vinyl) you may understand what I mean. In my opinion the only material that may need remastering is real old stuff of which no original masters are available or are now in a very bad condition in order to preserve them. It makes IMV no sense to update perfectly listenable material as audio goes (like JT) as its sound is related to the period in which it was released.

As for Dark Side Of The Moon the original non-remasterd version sounds as good as hell. Dunno what they had to remaster unless they wanted to create a surround mix for DVD, something I understand Alan Parsons was working on a few years ago.

BTW Achtung Baby was recorded analogue. There's a close-up of the 2-inch analogue multitrack machine in the last page of the AB booklet. I would also dare say that the rest of the U2 albums were cut on analogue tape though quite a bit of Pro Tools has been used since Zooropa.

Does anyone agree with me that the sound quality at the start of Red Hill Mining Town is a bit ropey? I had JT on cassette for years and I just thought the tape had worn but it sounds the same on my CD copy. I think re-mastering JT wouldn't be a bad idea.

not a bad idea, but I can wait awhile... I don't really have a need to hear the albums on any big sound system yet.

Achtung Baby, though, remastered and with extra tracks.... yummy. :)

Back
Top Bottom