John Norris and Carson are cool...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Everyone else at MTV SUCKS.

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

I was going to start a thread like this. As I've already said on this board, Carson did an amazing job introducing the boys. We should start a thread just thanking him for doing that and send him a copy of it. I just feel so sorry for him and the fact that the has to act like these bands are great when he knows they suck. Carson deserves alot more credit than he is given. He just gives in to being a tool at times. But I have more respect for him after tonight than I ever have before.

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Anyone got a transcription of the speech yet? I thought it was really really good!

Carson is a class act. You can tell that he really doesn't care bout most of the crap on TRL that he has to play. I started a thread a while back when u2 played TRL praising him for the respect he showed them and he did a great job tonight as well. He is a true u2 fan. He also seemed pissed off when they came back on the air after that false start of the performance.

Originally posted by SkeeK:
Anyone got a transcription of the speech yet? I thought it was really really good!

My first post here
smile.gif

The speech -- as best as I could get it:

As guests on MTV in '82, Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry -- they were asked to describe what they had that separated them from other artists, what made them special? If you think about it, it was a pretty ballsy question, but then again, the channel was young.

U2 simply responded, "Watch us and see."

So here we are almost two decades, thirteen albums, millions of fans, and more than fifty music videos later, we find ourselves still watching.

Their music -- the Unforgettable Fires and the Streets With No Name stretched far beyond the sonic landscape. The beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart.

When Bono shouts, "This is not a rebel song!" at the start of Sunday Bloody Sunday, we know that it really is. It is the sound of a generation rebelling against its own indifference.

And yes, the rumours are true, these four lads from Dublin are indeed rock stars. They smoke, they drink, they use bad language in mixed company, they're extremely rich, and they can flash more bling than most posses in this room.

They have also done more than most governments to reduce debt in third world countries. Rock stars they are, and God bless them for that.

What really separates U2 from the rest, more importantly, is relevance. The only thing that keeps an artist credible and alive for this long is relevance.

From Boy to Joshua Tree to All That You Can't Leave Behind, this is what music feels like when it's done right. It's a fist in the air, a kick in the balls, and Two Hearts Beating As One, and we have it all for you on video...

Originally posted by U2_Muse:
My first post here
smile.gif

The speech -- as best as I could get it:

As guests on MTV in '82, Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry -- they were asked to describe what they had that separated them from other artists, what made them special? If you think about it, it was a pretty ballsy question, but then again, the channel was young.

U2 simply responded, "Watch us and see."

So here we are almost two decades, thirteen albums, millions of fans, and more than fifty music videos later, we find ourselves still watching.

Their music -- the Unforgettable Fires and the Streets With No Name stretched far beyond the sonic landscape. The beat of every U2 song is the pulse of every human heart.

When Bono shouts, "This is not a rebel song!" at the start of Sunday Bloody Sunday, we know that it really is. It is the sound of a generation rebelling against its own indifference.

And yes, the rumours are true, these four lads from Dublin are indeed rock stars. They smoke, they drink, they use bad language in mixed company, they're extremely rich, and they can flash more bling than most posses in this room.

They have also done more than most governments to reduce debt in third world countries. Rock stars they are, and God bless them for that.

What really separates U2 from the rest, more importantly, is relevance. The only thing that keeps an artist credible and alive for this long is relevance.

From Boy to Joshua Tree to All That You Can't Leave Behind, this is what music feels like when it's done right. It's a fist in the air, a kick in the balls, and Two Hearts Beating As One, and we have it all for you on video...

Awesome thanks for that!! And Yes Carson was great!!
wink.gif

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I gotta admit... I always thought Carson was kind of a goon, and actually kind of creepy. I've changed my mind some after last night... a very nice intro for the boys
smile.gif

------------------
It's no secret that the stars, are falling from the sky...
-Kathleen-

"I'm a big nsync fan, but then again, I eat my own crap...." - Triumph, the sarcastic talking dog

I am suprised at the Carson Daly admiration society here.

I think he is partially responsible for the success of the Britanies, N Syncs of the world. He promotes their music and he does it quite well. Why? Because he is getting big cash. So what does he care if the rest of the music buying public are getting subjected to a flood of awful music? If it's true that Daly really can't stand this music, then he's pathetic to go to work everyday and promote it. He's sold his soul.

Furthermore, what Carson Daly said in his glorification of U2 was nothing extraordinary. Some of what he said were Bono's own words "rebeling against our own indifference." The rest was a bunch of bravado and needlessly bold statements to impress the simpleminded.

U2 was gracious in their acceptance of the award, but if I were the band, I would seriously consider finding alternative ways to market to the young than MTV. I know it's hard - but MTV represents most of what U2 abhor. My patience is running thin about U2's embrace of the station recently.

karl

karl,
carson is an old school rock fan at heart. it comes through on trl. he's not marketing teen groups, their record companies do that. he's doing his job. if you don't believe me, watch a couple episodes. if he was purposely trying to promote teen artists, why would he do things like invite guests such as mud shovel? why would he show the "weapon of choice" video when it wasn't on the countdown? why would he nearly fall over in his own drool when U2 performed on his show? he subtly makes fun of trl and it's artists. you just have to watch for it. (read the carson daly is amoung us thread.)

lemon,
i agree and disagree with you. john norris and carson are cool. but so is kurt loder, he's my boy! he is so funny, i love him. everyone other then those three suck!
smile.gif

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

"Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your pride."

[This message has been edited by madonna's child (edited 09-07-2001).]

Haven't seen much of him lately, forgot about that. And where are Beavis and Butthead when you need them?

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

kurt is still lurking there. he was on the pre-show and post-show, but that annoying suchin pak girl was with him. i liked tabitha and serena much better, the new girl is an idiot. did he interview U2 for the post show? i didn't see it, but i know john norris talked to them for the pre-show.

beavis and butthead was a quality show, cause it made fun of the people who watched it! i like daria, but it's never on.

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

"Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your pride."

Back
Top Bottom