John Legend covers U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm. Interesting, I kinda like the subdued nature of it for the context that it was made ie a documentary on the History channel. Almost like Edge's acoustic SBS.

(some pretty stupid ass responses to it tho, sorry)

edit: the verses are reminscent of the melody of the verse during You've Got to Hide Your Love Away...cool..

Last edited:
decent cover but this song just cant be preformed by anyone but Bono. The vocal delivery is such a huge part of the song and completely tied to it. Only Bono can do it.

Wow, that was really good

Hell of alot better than Paramore...*sigh

Jdelbove said:
decent cover but this song just cant be preformed by anyone but Bono. The vocal delivery is such a huge part of the song and completely tied to it. Only Bono can do it.

He's clearly not even *trying to sing it like Bono. He's singing it as John Legend, not a U2 cover band. :scratch:

gabrielvox said:

He's clearly not even *trying to sing it like Bono. He's singing it as John Legend, not a U2 cover band. :scratch:

Yea thats the point its Bono's song completely I cant imagine it any other way. The Bono vocal is the whole song I feel like you cant have the song without it

gabrielvox said:

Interesting. I always thought the drums and the guitar were the clinchers for me...

Agreed.

I think the concept of cover escapes some people here and on U2place.

Just listened to it, amazing version. It's totally different from the original, but that's what makes it great. John Legend doesn't try to sound or play like U2, he makes his own version out of it. I like it.

last unicorn said:
Just listened to it, amazing version. It's totally different from the original, but that's what makes it great. John Legend doesn't try to sound or play like U2, he makes his own version out of it. I like it.

exactly:up:

I normally don't much care for John Legend but I liked this. Better than the C+C Music Factory cover anyway :wink:

And as for the vocal, Bono can't even sing it like Bono anymore, those days are sadly gone. Legend can at least hit the notes in the chorus, I miss that.

CTU2fan said:
I normally don't much care for John Legend but I liked this. Better than the C+C Music Factory cover anyway :wink:

And as for the vocal, Bono can't even sing it like Bono anymore, those days are sadly gone. Legend can at least hit the notes in the chorus, I miss that.

Check out any Vertigo tour preformance of it especily the 5th leg Bono never sung it better. And not to get down on Legend (I do like how he made it his own) but clearly hiting those notes in 50% of full voice is a lot easier then Bono belting the crap out with 150% of his voice which he did on the Vertigo tour and now I love pride live wich I never thought would happen.

CTU2fan said:

:confused: :huh: :tsk: :rolleyes:

Jdelbove said:

Check out any Vertigo tour preformance of it especily the 5th leg Bono never sung it better. And not to get down on Legend (I do like how he made it his own) but clearly hiting those notes in 50% of full voice is a lot easier then Bono belting the crap out with 150% of his voice which he did on the Vertigo tour and now I love pride live wich I never thought would happen.

I thought the way John was singing it was totally appropriate for this version. No way he'd ever try to sing it like Bono, that would be ridiculous. His version has a special feeling to it and I like that.

CTU2Fan, thanks for the upload!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom