John Legend covers U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it :up:

I haven't been as moved by that song in years.

And, lest we forget, that Martin Luther King, Jr. fellow......

Well he was an amazing individual.

Understatement I know, but damn that man was beautiful. Beautiful in every way.

im not a huge fan of it because i think the guitar/drums make this song as others have said but it's not bad.

Actually I think John Legend mastered this song.

He does things that Bono has never done and made it more touching and spiritual without pomp and circumstance.

dbs

one of the best U2 covers I've seen. I don't get why some people were making negative comments (not here on interference, but on @U2)

I used to get pissed when people covered U2, but now I realize, they are not putting themselves on the same level or trying to be better, they are paying tribute to a song and band that they like or admire or find inspiring. Besides, U2 has covered plenty of peoples songs. There should be no problems with covers, just as artists are free to do them, we are all free to give whatever opinion we want on them. John Legend did a great job- he has an amazing voice and this was his own take on the song. He was not trying to replicate U2 in any way, just wanted to perform the song for the occassion. Do the critics expect him to get 3 other guys in the room and belt out the rattle and hum version of this song, complete with the classic Bono bend and come up at the beggining of the song?

gabrielvox said:

Amazing post, love it! :up:

Thank you very much! Did not think it that great, just my two cents on covers and how they have grown on me so to speak!

I get you, but I've a bit of a biased take on 'tributes' and 'covers'. Your line of thinking on this topic pretty much forms the basis of what I believe a tribute (band or album) should be all about, and I've never actually been able to explain it quite properly...

Now...as for your other threads...settle down!! (just kidddin ;) )

:wink:

Watch this interview with John Legend on the making of his version of Pride.

He speaks of not wanting to disgrace the original and so deciding to do it differently in order not to be in any way competitive with the original. Says of U2 "they actually do great versions of their songs" with a smile of course. Very humble and sincere, I felt. :up:

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?...t_type_id=58320&display_order=3&mini_id=58198

if you can't get to it via this link, go to history dot com and view the King page, and browse all the videos.

Thanks a lot for the link. I really appreciate John's version and think it's a great tribute, both to Dr. King and to U2.

Back
Top Bottom