Joey Ramone's death and ATYCLB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edit: I got this from an ABC News Website:

Punk fans are mourning the loss of Joey Ramone, lead singer of the seminal 1970s punk rock band The Ramones, who died Sunday of lymphatic cancer, longtime Ramones artistic director Arturo Vega said.

He was 49.

His band inspired a generation of anti-establishment rock groups, from the Sex Pistols to the grunge bands of the 1990s.

Ramone, born Jeffrey Hyman on May 19, 1951, entered the hospital last month to treat the disease, a cancer that attacks the body's ability to fight infection.

He died as U2's "In a Little While" played in his hospital room, according to the New York Daily News.

"Just as the song finished, Joey finished," His mother, Charlotte Lesher, told the newspaper. "He's free now. He heard it, and now he's gone."

Last edited:
Bono was touched by that and mentioned it in concerts after that when he performed it. I'd feel kind of spooky about it after that :uhoh:

not to hijack your thread......but wouldn't it be nice if Bono dedicates something off their next album to Joe Strummer? They did work on a song together so it's all the more appropriate!!

Do you think he was listening to the other tracks before In A little While? That would have been so cool!! Has Joey Ramone ever said anything about U2?

Apparently, Bono was one of the last people to speak with Joey before he died. They had a phone conversation; Bono wrote about this in the eulogy he delivered for Joey in Time magazine.

Did you also know that Miles Davis was listening to the Unforgettable Fire when he was dying?

I knew about Joey but not Miles Davis - Now we can see how U2's music transends all dempographics of humans.

I was just watching the Boston Live DVD and Bono mentions how the song "In A Little While" was one of the songs that Joey Ramone listened to while in the hospital.

I was watching the Boston DVD last night, too.

I normally think of In a Little While as a silly sort of love song, Bono crawling home to Ali after a foolish night of drinking. But it's creepy to listen to Bono perform that song and think about it as if you were lying on your death bed. It's a song about coming home, and I guess approaching death could be that kind of journey.

Never heard about the Miles Davis thing. That must be based on unreliable sources.

Cheers,

J

I also remember reading that Miles Davis used to listen to The Unforgettable Fire while he was dying - and from what I remember, I read it from a reliable source. What I'm still not sure of, though, was whether it was the album or the song of the same name.

jick said:
Never heard about the Miles Davis thing. That must be based on unreliable sources.

Cheers,

J

You never heard about it, so it must therefore be untrue. Of course, you always get your facts 100% straight, don't you?

I've seen a number of references to "the Miles Davis thing" as you call it. Here's just one, from Flanagan's U2 At the End of the World: "When Miles was dying, by the way, he sometimes asked to hear Unforgettable Fire".

Cheers back at you.

biff said:
I've seen a number of references to "the Miles Davis thing" as you call it. Here's just one, from Flanagan's U2 At the End of the World: "When Miles was dying, by the way, he sometimes asked to hear Unforgettable Fire".

And to complete Flanagan's quote: "There's the sort of tribute that makes up for any hundred insults."

How true...

Marty

Back
Top Bottom