Joe Cocker just murdered 'One' on Jay Leno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Joe Cocker recorded a cover of 'One' on his most recent record - all he does is covers - and he performed it on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno tonight. He totally murdered it. The man can't sing. Were it not for the backup singers it would have been comedic.

Why U2? Why did you give him permission to do this to your song? WHY!?

Didn't hear it, but I feel your pain, I can't imagine Joe Cocker singing that song. U2 seem pretty flexible in terms of who they allow to do covers of their songs - i.e. just about anyone who asks!

I just saw it too. Man, I love Joe Cocker's old stuff...but his voice is shot. :sad: Maybe people will finally stop complaining bout Bono's voice if they heard that.

Gov't Mule did a great version of One on Last Call a couple weeks ago that was actually quite good.

shaun vox said:
it was not that bad!!

there was a sax solo..

I imagine that if Britney Spears did a solo on the triangle in her next single, you'll like it.

I felt bad for him while he was singing. He didnt even finish singing the end of each word. He would sing some trash like "wha" when it was supposed to be "one". Then it looked like he was dying when he started or tried to get into the song. He must really need money.

One (The Heart Attack Mix).

That was a pretty cool version. He didn't sing from the point of view of a person whose head was invaded by lepers. He sang as if he were the leper. I found it entertaining.

Cheers,

J

Geez, I hope Bono doesn't forget/cut off any words or leave out anything during this tour. He already get's blasted.

Granted JC isn't as young as he used to be but he still has his own unique sound like he always has. I didn't think it was all that bad or good, just Joe Cocker doing what he can for his art.
But then again, I am a generous soul. I tend to give people credit for trying. That's obviously an outdated concept these days.:|

jammin909 said:
I felt bad for him while he was singing. He didnt even finish singing the end of each word. He would sing some trash like "wha" when it was supposed to be "one". Then it looked like he was dying when he started or tried to get into the song. He must really need money.

LOL!!!!!! That's some funny s**t!:wink:

jick said:
One (The Heart Attack Mix).

That was a pretty cool version. He didn't sing from the point of view of a person whose head was invaded by lepers. He sang as if he were the leper. I found it entertaining.

Cheers,

J

Classic! Your best post ever, Jick!

I like Joe Cocker and thought it was cool when I first heard he was going to cover "One," but then I heard a little snippet of it on a TV commercial promoting his new CD and I thought it was pretty bad. :|

Joe Cocker's version of One was filled with "soul." All that raspiness and cracking of the voice was all about soul and passion, cuz you know, to U2 fans, raspiness and a person's voice cracking while singing a song are examples of "soul." Otherwise how does Bono get away with it?

Also thumbs up for the sax solo. We need more of those in rock music. :rockon:

Don't know anything about Joe Cocker, but I'm wary of artists covering U2, especially One which is the greatest song written by anyone ever. It's kind of like Imagine - you don't just cover it lightly. In fact, I think it'd be better if it was never covered at all, but that's just me. I'm stuck up about my man-band :p

i think he was on regis and kelly a couple weeks ago and i caught the end of his performance of it, and at first i didn't even recognize it! i was sitting there thinking "wow this song is awfully familiar...and it sucks!" then i realized it was one!!!!!!! i started yelling at the TV :|

Back
Top Bottom