Jim Kerr on U2 (he's the man!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sledgehammer

The Fly
Well, for those who like them, Simple Minds will have a new album out soon. It'll be full of 80's new wave/rock covers (Peter Gabriel, Van Morrison, David Bowie ect).

Here's what their former said about U2 at an interview some days ago:

(JK=Jim Kerr)

MG: And of course, you're very good friends, and almost like 'celtic competitors' with U2.

JK: Yeah.

MG: I'm sure you're still great mates with the band.

JK: Yeah, saw them the other night in Glasgow.

MG: I heard that was a great gig.

JK: Well, they're on a different planet. I just can't be objective. They're such good guys. Such kind people, generous people. They work their socks off. I know many fans will know that, unfortunately, last week Bono's father passed away and that would take the wind out of anyone's sails. But he was - the energy was immense.

MG: When, in the eighties, you were being successful and they were, there was a time that you were doing the stadiums they were doing and stuff like that. Did you have a rivalry - friendly rivalry?

JK: Every generation there's a few bands and it's always like 'them or them.' But, in roundabout way, we worked for each other. Even the other night when I went to see U2 in Glasgow, some of that rubbed off on us inasmuch as ... I felt on the whole that people were screaming to see a great live band. 'Isn't this great to see a great, great live band?' And I'm not going to slate the current crop but ... [laughs]
wink.gif

http://www.simple-minds.demon.co.uk/discog/nl/nlint1.htm

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

Nice comments. Jim Kerr is very cool, Simple Minds is a great band. I know a lot of people consider that they're washed up now and have been for years, but in my opinion, if they're washed up they've still managed to record some pretty good music. Obviously they haven't managed to keep the same members (except for Kerr and Burchill) so they don't have anywhere near the cohesiveness of U2, but they have some amazing music. I don't have all their albums, but a lot of them.

Yet another reason why I would have loved to be at Live Aid--they were there too--oh well, I was only six
wink.gif

------------------
You say I'm a fool
You say I'm nothing
But if I'm a fool for you
Oh, that's something

I have always liked Simple Minds although I only have one of their albums. Good on Jim Kerr for not being goaded by that interviewer MG. He had two attempts, it would seem at trying to get him to talk about a rivalry between the bands.Jim just talked about inspiration by and appreciation of U2.Good one

i want "don't you forget about me" to be my class's song. hell would freeze over before that would actually happen, of course.

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

"Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your pride."

Wow, what a great interview and good on Jim Kerr for saying nice things about U2. That says a lot about a person. Their new album sounds really interesting, too...gosh, haven't listened to Simple Minds (on purpose) for probably 10 years!
smile.gif

I have two live recording with U2 - Simple Minds connections. One is Bono mentioning that he recently met Jim Kerr, and they are already good friends, Bono inserts "Someone, Somewhere, in Summertime." The other is of Bono joining Simple Minds to sing New Gold Dream, Bono is introduced and he responds by saying "It's always Summer time in Glasgow." Both are from around '83-'84.

Very Cool!!!!

By the way, Alarm lead singer Mike Peters was at the first Slane gig, now that would be a tour, U2, Simple Minds, and The Alarm.

------------------
Jara sang his song a WEAPON!

Originally posted by foray:
I don't know who Simple Minds are, but it was a nice read, thanks Sledge.

foray

foray, you really have to check them out and at least see if you like them. They were big in the 80's. Jim Kerr, the singer, sounds more like Bono than any other singer I can think of. But his vocal style is kind of different. They have some indifferent music, but a lot of great stuff. Where I think they really fall down in comparison to U2 is that they have quite a few songs that are poorly structured. But they are a lot more than Don't You Forget About Me, though that's a great song. Ghostdancing, Up On the Catwalk, Oh Jungleland, Waterfront, Superman v. Supersoul, Glitterball, She's a River, Hypnotized, Street Fighting Years, Mandela Day, See the Lights, Belfast Child...lots of excellent songs.

Ah, Simple Minds, my 2nd or 3rd fave band back in 85! If you are going to venture into the past I would recommend Sparkle In the Rain, it is one of the ones most likely to appeal to U2 fans IMO. And ironically, that album is produced by Steve Lillywhite, the man who produced U2's 1st 3 albums!

------------------
Camilo Arenivar

Email: U2LA2000@hotmail.com

AOL Instant Message: nohocamilo

Yahoo Messenger: u2la2000

http://www.U2LA.com

Originally posted by U2LA:
Ah, Simple Minds, my 2nd or 3rd fave band back in 85! If you are going to venture into the past I would recommend Sparkle In the Rain, it is one of the ones most likely to appeal to U2 fans IMO. And ironically, that album is produced by Steve Lillywhite, the man who produced U2's 1st 3 albums!

And the first 2 albums of Big Country.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

I would also highly recommend "Stand By Love", "Love Song" and "The American" by Simple Minds. They also sometimes do a blistering cover of Lou Reed's "White Light, White Heat". If you really want to appreciate them I would get a live bootleg as they are one of those bands that just sounds alot better live.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 09-05-2001).]

Great comments by J. Kerr. I love the Minds, they are one of my top 5 bands and I own a good chunk of their collection. I would say my favorite album is the ethereal "Street Fighting Years" from 1989 which is very atmospheric, kind of like Un Fire in that regard. For pure uplifting music, go with "Sparkle In the Rain" from 1984, produced by S. Lillywhite as previously mentioned. A good underdog album is "Real Life" from 1991 which has my fav. Minds song 'See The Lights' on it.

As far as live, I know Charlie Burchill joined U2 on stage for 40 at a couple of Glasgow dates on the Fire and Joshua tours. And Bono joined Simple Minds in Jan. 1986 for Someone Somewhere in Summertime and a medley of Dance to the Music/New Gold Dream.

Back
Top Bottom