Jay Z / Glastonbury / Sunday Bloody Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually in a industry in trouble across the board, hip hop in particular is in a huge freefall over the last couple years...in terms of numbers anyway.

Well you do have your Soulja Boys but then you do have your Lil Waynes that sell 1 million albums in a week.

I quite like Hip Hop when they sample guitar riffs, its quite a good combo

that was really awesome....hip hop legend sampling some rock legends.

Reasonable Doubt...top 5 greatest hip hop albums ever made? Yup...

i don't like jay Z. i believe he is the epitome of everything wrong with hip hop/rap these days. he's the henry rollins of hip hop. that said, i love the way he snubbed his nose at oasis, another bunch of twats. his sample of SBS? brilliant.

ok let me sum up this thread.

those who don't like rap = that was lame.

those who are indifferent to rap, like some rap, like a lot of rap = that was cool.

now we get to the point where someone tries to defend themselves by saying that they do like rap because they liked some song from like 10 years ago, or they've heard a kanye song and want to sound like they're hip.

continue.

I'm indifferent to rap and thought that was crap.

Some people are just closed off to other forms of music, and U2 fans are the most guilty of this, in my experience.

I grew up in hip hop culture. Jay-Z is truly an icon, and he's going to be the first hip hop artist to TRULY be viewed as a great musician, rather than a great rapper. There's such skill involved in rapping and hip hop music in general, it's a shame that some view it as simply "talking over a drum beat".

those who are indifferent to rap, like some rap, like a lot of rap = that was cool.

now we get to the point where someone tries to defend themselves by saying that they do like rap because they liked some song from like 10 years ago, or they've heard a kanye song and want to sound like they're hip.

continue.
Truth.

I'm not much impressed by sampling a few bars and then just looping it over and over without recontextualizing it in someway.

:applaud: Thank you for expressing exactly what I was thinking.

continue.

FTW /thread

I don't follow.

rollins is a sell out. he talks alot of shit about other artist, but he's credited amongst the punk rock community as the man who brought it too the mainstream. the same goes for jay z, he's turned a musical form that was used to express the strife the urban community goes thru and turned it into "my watch, my car, my house, my ho's, i'm the better rapper because i sell millions".

I'm not a fan of hip hop, but I don't see what the issue of having hip hop at Glasto was the big deal.

However, some regular Glasto goers were against Jay-z cos of his mysogynistic lyrics. Never having listened to him, I wouldn't know. But if he indeed is guilty of that, then Glasto really was the last place he should have played at.

DAMN, that was really really good. Jay-Z is a fan, we all know that...to bad he didn't stick aroung for the entire showing of U23D in N.Y though

Jay Z in an interview:

"A few days before Glastonbury Jay-Z played in Dublin and visited Bono, who is at work on a new U2 album. 'I heard about four tracks,' he says. 'And the thing about Bono is, he's in the studio like a kid, excited and singing the lyrics back, asking what I think. That's passion, only passion. Trust me. He doesn't have to do it.'

Jay-Z relates to this. 'Music is a challenge,' he says. 'Music's like, "What have you done for me lately?" Don't matter if you make seven, eight great albums. U2 are arguably one of the greatest bands ever. If their next album is not great people are going to say they're finished. U2!'"

World's greatest | Urban | guardian.co.uk Music

"A few days before Glastonbury Jay-Z played in Dublin and visited Bono, who is at work on a new U2 album. 'I heard about four tracks,' he says. 'And the thing about Bono is, he's in the studio like a kid, excited and singing the lyrics back, asking what I think. That's passion, only passion. Trust me. He doesn't have to do it.'
I wish Jay-Z would join this forum :up:

Back
Top Bottom