Jan. 3rd, Latest U2 Video to air on Qtv ? / First single release speculation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the description of Vertigo as in cheesy and too mainstream. But I could say that about Breathe and any other clips I've heard (or tried to hear through waves).

Unless the song has changed a ton, I only think the comparisions of GYOB and Vertigo is a big riff. You can't deny vertigo has a very good guitar line.

But "Hello Hello...." vs. "You don't know.....how...You don't know how beautiful you are" sung in some very distinct melodies is a bit different.

Don't forget you'll also get a few bad reviews from people too. If you already have a sound created in your head, and U2 doesn't create it for you, you will probably be disappointed.

example being any sort of Edge sounding guitar (the chimes). We already know there will be some on this album (Only Love/Magnificent).

The odds are in favor that most of the reviews will be very good though. But this french person's review seems to side on the negative, and is very vague. Saying something is too Vertigo tells us nothing about the new song.

And saying Edge has used the same sound for the past 4 years is a joke. He's used the same sound for the past 30 years; he's just done a good job of hiding it in some songs. But every album has Edge's chimey sounding guitar. Some albums (JT, HTDAAB) have a ton.

I agree.

If you have some preconceived notion of what to expect and you don't get it then of course you'll be dissapointed.

Thats why I'm trying real hard NOT to have any expectations going in.

I took the description of Vertigo as in cheesy and too mainstream. But I could say that about Breathe and any other clips I've heard (or tried to hear through waves).

Unless the song has changed a ton, I only think the comparisions of GYOB and Vertigo is a big riff. You can't deny vertigo has a very good guitar line.

But "Hello Hello...." vs. "You don't know.....how...You don't know how beautiful you are" sung in some very distinct melodies is a bit different.

I don't get the dislike of Vertigo. I thought it was awesome and as necessary for the band to make as Beautiful Day was.

BTW, what is that line to: "You don't know.....how...You don't know how beautiful you are" is that GYBO?

interesting.

likely there are extreme T&Cs in the publishing and press NDA. It's lock-tight.

:waiting:

Aledgedly I have been told by my freind in the biz, the embargo will be lifted on both very soon. The single is in the can. And so is the Album :hyper:

Damn it is so difficult, as I want to pump them for so much information, but I don't want to abuse the freindship :huh: They know how much I love U2, so I guess they are only saying what they can safely get away with.

That said, I have also asked someone I know, who works for another bands manager to keep an eye out for it on their desk :wink: He always gets sent stuff, you never know :wink:

Today is a non entity day here in the UK, some are back to work and the majority are back this coming Monday.

We certainly saw the same movie. To me, Susanne Bier represents conservatism and predictability. I am never moved by her films, her characters, her scripts. All I see is bleak sketches of the postmodern Danish family, with no real political or psychological point to them. "Brothers" failed miserably to make any artistic statement, and the plot was rather boring. Her films have no real value in my opinion, and although she can really get the best out of her actors, her films lack inventiveness and magic. Danish cinema has been stuck with social realism for over 10 years now, over and over we hear about the same problems facing the same archetypes. I'm sick of it. But that's my opinion, and we should be talking about U2. Who could still make a great song. But the Danish version of brothers was dangerously black and white in depicting the war, so much so that a U2 song, however low-key, would feel out of place.

/rant

OK, I'll let it go, but to me it didn't matter that it didn't go into the politics of the war, it was about the human story of his family, framed around the Afghanistan invasion, not about the motivations of the war.

I don't get the dislike of Vertigo. I thought it was awesome and as necessary for the band to make as Beautiful Day was.

BTW, what is that line to: "You don't know.....how...You don't know how beautiful you are" is that GYBO?

interesting.

I like Vertigo a lot as well. It's almost become assumed that if you are a U2 fan, you don't like the song. Sadly, I think GYBO is not quite up to par with Vertigo's immediacy. It's a little darker and definitely more "cool" though.

I remember MTV or VH1 can't remember did this before Pop came out. They would play every video in alphabetical order all day long. I was still in high school at the time and miraculously I got off for snow that day.

A full day of jaming to discotheque. What a great day that was.

Aledgedly I have been told by my freind in the biz, the embargo will be lifted on both very soon. The single is in the can. And so is the Album :hyper:

Damn it is so difficult, as I want to pump them for so much information, but I don't want to abuse the freindship :huh: They know how much I love U2, so I guess they are only saying what they can safely get away with.

That said, I have also asked someone I know, who works for another bands manager to keep an eye out for it on their desk :wink: He always gets sent stuff, you never know :wink:

Today is a non entity day here in the UK, some are back to work and the majority are back this coming Monday.

thanks for the heads up. yeah, it's about the same in the US today.

Yeah, I could see Monday being the big unveiling as far as information goes. That would be awesome.

VERTIGO was a brilliant lead single! it was fast, catchy with a brilliant riff

Is it only me who is getting really exicited at how many different songs are being touted as brilliant! from what i read i have heard:-

Moment of Surrender - U2 classic the albums 'one'
Breathe - classical and brilliant
Stand Up - Should of been the lead single
Magnificent - Sounded the best on the beech clips
Unkown Caller - sounds catchy and very melodic
Get on your boots - is the lead single so must be decent!

Nearly every song has has positive remarks!

Yeah, I could see Monday being the big unveiling as far as information goes. That would be awesome.

Monday would be more likely than tomorrow, but you never know? Q may have something? :hmm:

Damn shame I can't see any of tomorrows stuff on TV :sad: I'd become a couch potato all day tomorrow and Sunday othewise :lol:

interesting.

That's part of the chorus, actually.

I've never had a problem with Vertigo either. I didn't think it was life-changing right off the bat, but quite a few people here did. As with HTDAAB, the initial response was ecstatic, but people pretty much considered it a piece of shit overnight, something I'll never understand. Taken on a base level, Vertigo is mindless rocker that's a ton of fun live. To that end, it's a success.

VERTIGO was a brilliant lead single! it was fast, catchy with a brilliant riff

Is it only me who is getting really exicited at how many different songs are being touted as brilliant! from what i read i have heard:-

Moment of Surrender - U2 classic the albums 'one'
Breathe - classical but brilliant
Stand Up - Should be the lead single
Magnificent - Sounded the best on the beech clips
Unkown Caller - also sounds catchy and very melodic
Get on your boots - is the lead single so must be decent!

Nearly every song has has positive remarks!

Its actually worrying me...because its starting to raise my expectations and I've been trying to keep them very low to not be dissapointed in any way.

People disliked Vertigo more because of the iPod commercial. It was overplayed and probably a bit tiresome to those who hate songs on TV. :)

I liked Vertigo. It was nice to hear something a little harder edge to it. It was pretty much throwaway, and it was a great live song.

I didn't like it being played twice though :)

People disliked Vertigo more because of the iPod commercial. It was overplayed and probably a bit tiresome to those who hate songs on TV. :)

I liked Vertigo. It was nice to hear something a little harder edge to it. It was pretty much throwaway, and it was a great live song.

I didn't like it being played twice though :)

yeah, i think the Vertigo backlash was much more for its image than its music. i always liked the song.

God, maybe it's only because I don't watch much television, but I couldn't care less how often a song is played on a commercial. Plus, for whatever reason, I only saw it a handful of times when it was released.

So we need to get some type of confirmation about a listening party. I'm a bit skeptical, although it's definitely possible that they had one. I'd expect that they'd wait at least another month or month and a half though.

To me it just seems fake, i mean he even called the song "Breathe", when we all know it hasnt been called that for at least a few weeks,

and i from the review he is saying the coverage the album gets from hot press will be "minimal"? i highly doubt that.

To me it just seems fake, i mean he even called the song "Breathe", when we all know it hasnt been called that for at least a few weeks,

and i from the review he is saying the coverage the album gets from hot press will be "minimal"? i highly doubt that.

What do you mean by Breathe not being called that? I'm pretty sure it's always been Breathe.

I havent listened to clips for months, I heard one that was kick ass, so whatever it was I hope its still on there. XD

Do I even have it..? Ill have to ask one of you up to date people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom