Jan. 3rd, Latest U2 Video to air on Qtv ? / First single release speculation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the fact that they're capitalizing LATEST is what has me torn. Although I haven't actually seen the ad; are they capitalizing LATEST?

not sure if they're capitalizing it. you would think NEWEST would be a better way to word it though if it really was the new single.

I bet they don't show a brand new video. After all, WTAHAN can't go a day without being Kunstmuseumed.

This doesn't sound promising based on some of the wording like "back catalogue" etc, and overall lack of hype. I guess we're taking the "latest" comment too literally. Would love to be wrong on this one though.

just a note. if U2 doesn't release their new single to radio by Jan. 3rd, it will be the first time that i can remember that we haven't heard their first single at least 2 months before the album comes out. must be the changes in the music industry.

i know they could still release it to radio next week, but the lack of buzz about it makes me doubt that we'll even see it next week. on the brightside, when we do finally hear it, we'll have less time to wait for the album. sometimes that period between 1st single and album can be brutal, although right now seems to be as brutal as it can get, lol!

If they're going chronological in terms of what album the video went with, I'd assume they'd put RHMT with the JT videos.

At this point, the chances that Q will be unveiling the new video has to be less than 5%. It's worded in a way so that they may get a few of us to tune in, but would be technically correct if latest referred to WITS. Decent marketing. And do any of us really think that is how U2 is going to unveil their new single? This is U2. I think there's a better chance that they are inside the ball that drops in Time Square, which will open up Pop Lemon-style at midnight to Edge's blaring Get Your Boots On riff.

This is U2. I think there's a better chance that they are inside the ball that drops in Time Square, which will open up Pop Lemon-style at midnight to Edge's blaring Get Your Boots On riff.

that's a great idea, i would love to see that happen !! :drool::drool:
it would be the ultimate way for U2 to announce that 2009 is going to be their year !!
however i don't see it happening:sad:

I don't think their new single/video will be premiered on QTV. It will be premiered with a lot more hype on a bigger channel, like BBC Radio 1. I don't think we will have to wait long for it. For all we know, the video has been shot, album release date is fixed, so the single will be out in January. :up:

The video is done. The album is done.

I say we hear something next week as far as album news go, as for the single....next week would make sense with a full 2 month release.

that's a great idea, i would love to see that happen !! :drool::drool:
it would be the ultimate way for U2 to announce that 2009 is going to be their year !!
however i don't see it happening:sad:

maybe not, i heard that they made the ball twice as big this year so maybe.......
:sad: i just want something

I heard a Lemon is going to drop in Dublin where U2 will emerge from the Lemon at exactly 12 to premier their whole entire new album live...:hyper:

i think that given the changes in the music industry in just the last 2 years, that comparing the single / album release timeline of the past two records will prove inaccurate.

U2 could just pull a Nine Inch Nails and drop the single to radio without major prerelease hype. After all, the new song IS hype. And who listens to hype before a single besides us? Does it really make a difference to the masses if they release the single or yell "we are releasing the single on tuesday" and then release it. Seems to me that the difference would be slight.

or...

they could pull a radiohead / raconteurs, not in the album sense of "surprise! the album is out" but more along the lines of "we just don't understand hyping an album by releasing a single months ahead of time" and the single could come out later.

or maybe they pull a coldplay and suddenly there is a video and a song and maybe a bonus track for free.

just seems like music promotion has changed in the past 2 years and i feel like U2 will subscribe to some of that.

All that said, i really REALLY hope we hear something in the next few days. I'm going bananas thinking i have to wait 2 months to hear anything new. Then again, that is only 2 months. :applaud::applaud:I remember waiting and waiting for pop for what seemed like an eternity.

So just one other odd thing about how the thingy on Q is worded is that it gives an exact time the "latest video" will be aired. If they were just playing their back catalog, why would they feel the need to announce the time the last would be played? Listing a specific time for one video seems to be saying it something special. I am still pretty skeptical that they'll show the new video -- I can't imagine they would keep it this low key -- but even so, this special time announcement doesn't really make sense if it was just WITS or whatever...

u2tv.gif

"Spend the day with QTV as we take you through their back catalogue."

- U2 Ultimate Playlist
- All the videos from their earliest to their latest
- Most iconic videos

Let's not be hasty here. They begin the advert saying "their back catalogue". Everything that follows must be taken in context. It is normal for the media to examine the back catalogue before a new release. U2 singles are released to a very wide audience. If QTV was planning on releasing it on Jan 3, that would mean many other organizations would be planning the same.

If it sounds too good to be true -- it likely is. :shrug:

As for the timeline:

9 am - 1 pm : Ultimate Playlist
1 pm - 6 pm : U2 music videos
6 pm - X pm : Most iconic videos

It does -not- say that a special video will air at 1 pm. Context is everything.

Last edited:
to try to end the confusion, i just emailed them using the "Contact Us" feature. i'll let you know if i get a reply.

Seems like they'd be doing the fans a great disservice if they would use that verbage and NOT debut the new video.

If they don't then I think its pretty shitty on their part because its very misleading...though if I had to bet I would say that come Jan 3rd we will all be happy with what we see. :up:

Seems like they'd be doing the fans a great disservice if they would use that verbage and NOT debut the new video.

If they don't then I think its pretty shitty on their part because its very misleading...though if I had to bet I would say that come Jan 3rd we will all be happy with what we see. :up:

in my email to their editor, i did mention that their verbage has created a lot of confusion. that's probably what they want though. even though i'm 99.9% sure that they will not be airing the new single at 1pm on Saturday, i'll still be tuning in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom