Jacknife Lee will be in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niceman said:

"file under U2"

Also, 2 of the tracks made the best-of. Miss Sarajevo on the first disc and Your Blue Room on the second. It's hard to not call it a U2 album really....

...and it's on the iTunes' 'Complete U2'... enough to call it 'U2 album' if you ask me

the only reason why I would almost be inclined to view Passengers as a U2 album is because it isn't that hard seeing Eno as part of the band

had it been recorded with just about anyone but Eno (Lanois would be the other exception) I don't think anyone would call it a U2 album

a U2 side project definitely
but there is a reason why it's called Passengers and not "U2 + Brian Eno"

Salome said:

a U2 side project definitely
but there is a reason why it's called Passengers and not "U2 + Brian Eno"

Yes, that's it. I consider it a U2 album because of the reasons pointed in the posts above, but Salome is right... it's not just a question of marketing by editor's pressure... If not, it wouldn't be named under another name, neither the members would have such nicknames and acronyms...

Their reasons for not smacking U2 on the cover were not because it wasn't a "U2 album". They wanted to get it out there without dealing with the hype/media/etc. that they deal with every time U2 releases a record. And I'm sure Larry didn't want it on their permanent record, so to speak. They certainly could have released the same record and called it U2 - Original Soundtracks 1 and I'm sure Brian would have been fine with getting lots of credit on the liner notes.

Niceman said:

"file under U2"

Also, 2 of the tracks made the best-of. Miss Sarajevo on the first disc and Your Blue Room on the second. It's hard to not call it a U2 album really....

There was a quote from Edge on Passengers how he and Bono deliberately put something "more U2" on that, and so Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue room came out.

Passengers may have all of U2 making music but Brian Eno's role in it was too big to legitimately call it a regular U2 release (and Bono tends to write more lyrics in U2 albums). A side project, yes.

Niceman said:

"file under U2"

No actually, its easy. Its not a "U2" album. Its not called by "U2" and Brian Eno is not a member of U2. Eno wrote alot and contributed alot of the music on Passengers. He does not do that when its a U2 album, he only produces it with a U2 album (when he is even the producer). A VERY distinct difference to me. If "U2" had done the Passengers album on their own with Eno only producing it would have been ALOT different. Also how many "U2" albums are there where half the songs contain no lyrics or contain very little vocal at all? none. Its not a U2 album with all new songs by U2 (only)

Anyway, like I said originally. Do you really think Passengers qualifies in the context of what we are talking about here regardless of what your position is on that album? I dont, I guess I'm minority on that though. :shrug:

Prediction: New U2 album of all new songs with a tour to follow at the earliest Spring 2008 with it most likely being Fall 2008. Fall of 2007 is feasible but unlikely to me considering the 4th leg of Vertigo and that they really havent spent that much time in the studio at this stage and dont have a producer even named. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom