Jacknife Lee will be in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyways, I can't say much about this except for the fact that I wish Rubin would produce it instead. I highly doubt Jacknife will urge U2 to push their sound into new directions.

And I highly, highly doubt we'll see a new album before mid-2007. It just makes no sense at all, and this is U2, who has lately taken forever to record their albums. 2 years between albums? I highly doubt it. Mid to late 2007.

super fly guy said:
I hope wont be all dance tunes!:(

Why not? That would be wonderful!

POP II...:drool:

In ten years, everyone can say that U2 hasn't done anything good since Pop II...:drool:

POP 2 !!:drool: bring it on!!!

but i dont think u2 will make a dangerous, edgy or an interesting album at this point!! listen to the leaked clips!!! sounds like b sides from HTDAAB!! just your average top 40 material!!

shaun vox said:
but i dont think u2 will make a dangerous, edgy or an interesting album at this point!! listen to the leaked clips!!! sounds like b sides from HTDAAB!! just your average top 40 material!!

Thats probably because that is exactly what those clips were. No one here has any idea what those really were. Could be anything really, leftovers from several albums ago for all we know. Some of it may not even be U2 songs. :shrug:

I have never seen so many "theories" and "absolute conclusions" based on so little to no information before. Its amazing to watch this forum sometimes. It is entertaining though, I must admit. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
Their new album will be entitled, "The Jacknife Lee Mix."

It's still better than

"Something Edgy, Exciting, And Potentially Explosive...

...The Daniel Lanois Mix"

:crack: :banghead:

shart1780 said:
"the stunning 'A Man And A Woman'"...

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
To be fair, U2's brief venture into adult-contemporary bullshit was the only real experimentation or messing around the band did on HTDAAB.

Those of you screaming for POP II!111! should remember that. Maybe you don't want the band experimenting anymore.

Fast Cars (Jacknife Lee Mix)
OOTS (Single Version)
AMAAW
Vertigo (Jacknife Lee 7")

I think his work is really good and it would be interesting to hear a whole album produced by him...

t8thgr8 said:
and I called fanfire today about my music rising shirt and the recording at the start asked to press 1 for 'u2 ticket presale' press 2 to speak to a cust rep.

:ohmy:

:hmm:

Canadiens1160 said:
Those of you screaming for POP II!111! should remember that. Maybe you don't want the band experimenting anymore.

I'm willing to take that risk. :wink: I loved AMAAW. It certainly was better than that OOTS crap. :huh:

Canadiens1160 said:
To be fair, U2's brief venture into adult-contemporary bullshit was the only real experimentation or messing around the band did on HTDAAB.

I think U2's venture into adult contemporary can be described as more than brief. The past 2 albums have been a bit too much A.C. for me.

Taking into account the one song he produced and mixed, AMAAW, I like the sound on that song. One of the few not overly-loud mastered songs.

I could do without the xylophone-ey synth on COBL and the ship fog horn sound in Crumbs.

Keep Flood away, though.

Jacknife’ Lee’s management confirmed that the producer is about to start work on the FOLLOW-UP to HTDAAB. That means it has nothing to do with a greatest hits album. By the way if a greatest hits album WOULD be released before Christmas, I think not promoting this a few months before release is a very strange marketing technique.

My guess: the band is trying to release an album before the end of the year. I don't think they're only just in the beginstadium of a new record. The fact that Albert from The Strokes listened to some new songs means U2 has a feeling they've written some great new tunes that need to be heared by other musicians. I don't think they would do that if they were only demos that still need a lot of work.

They have a lot of remaining songs of HTDAAB that maybe don't really need a lot of production work. One or two months production work could be enough. The new album could contain for example 8 HTDAAB songs and 3 newly written songs that need some more production. It's not that unrealistic to think a new album is heading our way soon.

I think we'll hear more about it all in September.

Last edited:
The following news were just posted in a portuguese site. I don't know if the next text has already been posted here, if so, let me know it:

Produtor confirmado (Producer confirmed)

A Hot Press confirmou que Jacknife Lee sera o produtor do novo album dos U2: (Hot Press has confirmed that Jacknife Lee is going to produce the new U2 album:)

Garrett ‘Jacknife’ Lee’s management company, Big Life, have confirmed that the producer is about to start work on the follow-up to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb with U2.

Rumours that Rick Rubin will also be taking part in the sessions have intensified after the American band he’s currently producing, The Robins, revealed in an interview that the Def Jam supremo can’t work with them in September because he’s hooking up with Bono and the boys.

Having enjoyed number one success last year with Snow Patrol’s Eyes Open, Lee has added the new long-players by Bloc Party, Editors and Sony newcomers Vega4 to his CV. The last on the list are fronted by Irishman Johnny McDaid.

“Working with Garrett was so stimulating,” Johnny enthuses. “He had a way of making us focus on the world and our music from an entirely different perspective. He forced us out of introspection by whatever means necessary. Whether it was going out to a field in the middle of the night to throw eggs during a vocal take, or climbing into cupboards and kitchen
appliances, he managed to show us that beauty and interest exists in the ordinary. He showed us that it is everywhere." The resulting record, You And Others, is due later in the autumn. Also on its way is Lee’s own album on Fiction, and a collaboration under the Saville Robots guise with fellow knob twiddler Sie Medway-Smith.

Banzai must be right, and if this is true (I hope sooo:drool: ) it confirms what some fans here (me included) supposed before.
Jacknife Lee worked with the band in the last album, so he knows what U2's work of the last 3/4 years. So, the follow up could easily be those HTDAAB outtakes reworked (or polished... or now produced) accompained with maybe 3 or 4 new songs (who knows if some are those beach clips).
If Rick Rubin is on the boat too, it can mean that the band wants to see how it is like to work with him, and maybe let him produce in a few songs, like a test.

Guys, this are only suppositios, but I hope this is true. So, we'll have a new album this fall. It only means that the band is really working and that we won't see another 3 or 4 year hiatus without a new LP:drool:and that rumour of the Greatest Hits is untrue (it's too unlikely and strange...).

Honestly I think the worst thing U2 could do is polish out some HTDAAB outtakes and add some new songs.

Don't have a problem with it, at least it will be somebody different producing the majority of the album, rather then Eno and Lanios who I think have had their time.

If they are going to rework old material, I'd rather have it than not have it. Using old songs or parts of old songs to release another album won't really slow the process of the album after. I say, give us more Bomb tracks just so we get more music.

Make more music, just 'cause fans want more music, but it doesn't necessarily need to be decent? :huh:

I won't mind if we get an album of reworked outtakes from the last album. at least, they are new songs for us, and in fact, don't really know what was the state of those songs. They could be already-produced and finished songs but they could be unfinished songs that were totally reworked and reinvented now.

Canadiens1160 said:
Honestly I think the worst thing U2 could do is polish out some HTDAAB outtakes and add some new songs.

As long as Mercy is on there, I really couldn't care less. :drool:

And besides, who's to say that just because the outtakes came from the HTDABB sessions, that they sound exactly like HTDAAB? Maybe that's why they were left off; maybe they didn't fit! :drool:

LemonMelon said:
And besides, who's to say that just because the outtakes came from the HTDABB sessions, that they sound exactly like HTDAAB? Maybe that's why they were left off; maybe they didn't fit! :drool:

Didn't Bono say as much? I seem to recall a quote where he said they had a number of album-worthy songs that simply came from a totally different place to HTDAAB and wouldn't have fit thematically or sonically on it.

Now, I'm sure that was just Bono talking things up, but I'd imagine it was based in fact.

So maybe that leftovers are the really 'punk rock from venus' songs.

I'm looking forward to the next album, but I don't think we'll see it this year. I think they first want to do the vertigo tour in Australia etc. and then release an album, so fall 07. When they release an album this fall I think it will be too busy for the boys, and would they bring the tour to Europe and America to promote the album?

Canadiens1160 said:
Make more music, just 'cause fans want more music, but it doesn't necessarily need to be decent? :huh:

I'm just saying that if they are into reworking the old sessions, then I'd rather get those songs than wait for the box set in 15 years. And I was implying that they are presumably doing it because they want to do it, not because fans want them to (which they wouldn't do anyway). I think if U2 didnt try so hard to make the perfect album sometimes, they might actually get closer to the mark. Who knows what these songs sound like and how they could fit together?

Axver said:

Didn't Bono say as much? I seem to recall a quote where he said they had a number of album-worthy songs that simply came from a totally different place to HTDAAB and wouldn't have fit thematically or sonically on it.

I remember this as well, I think that in the same article it talked about how hard it was to come up with a track listing for the album in general. Was it Blender?

Some songs will probably be Bomb leftovers. Nowhere near the majority of the material though.

I also remember that quote: they basically had two albums' worth of music. And I think the original plan Bono and Edge pushed for was bring out "Bomb" as it was in Oct 2003 and work on the next album later.

Back
Top Bottom