I've lost 90% of my interest in the new U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
I used to be pretty peeved about the new U2 album coming out later than "rumored" and the lies/ miscalculations said by people supposedly in the know (though mostly the fact that a whole album's worth of new material is gonna take 4 years for release). I mean, I check the news now again just to see that I don't pass over the future release date, but at this point with the waiting, the so-so material that they've released in "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands That Built America," I think my excitement/ interest has waned to the point of, "So what, about U2." Maybe I'm just trying to lower my expectations a lot. Who knows. The amount of time they take to record one album (probably 11-12 songs, with people even going so far as to say there are only 8 really good songs), comes off as disappointing. Like I felt, interested at one point. Then excitement. Then annoyance. Impatience. Peevish. Disgust, and now ennui.

Anybody feel the same?

I'm thinking about buying some Jon Spencer Blues Explosion CDs to pass the time.

man, I felt pretty annoyed and dissappointed when I heard it was delayed and that they ran into some "problems" in the studio. my main annoyance was over the fact that they kept saying that they were going straight into the studio to keep the momentum of elevation going. secondly, the "best band in the world" remark coinciding with "problems in the studio.

but now, I feel better, and just knowing that it's coming out sometime this year and a tour is next year makes the wait ok.
you know?
now all they need to do is put out a great album, an I'll take back every single negative thing I said about the delay.
trust me, I was there with ya, but try to have a little optimism now......

it
is
coming......

get

ready......:wink:

U2DMfan said:
I'm sure the band will be able to move on w/o your support.

But that's just a guess. :|

seriously, why do you have to insult him like that? he's just stating his feelings on the band.

Maybe it's a good idea forgetting about it for a while and save up any anticipation and excitment for later..

Give them some credit.

As we all know - and it keeps getting shoved away - writing new songs for this album didn't start until the end of Elevation tour. So it isn't 4 years of work on a new album, not even 4 years since the last release because the 90's Best of came out in between. (if I'm not mistaken, Best of's are a regular part of any band's discography, alongside the full-fledged albums)

Ok, fair enough, but why should 1 song and a soundtrack song be any indication for the new album? (ES soundwise, maybe, but Edge did say he's interested into faster paced material) U2 usually has their best material on their albums.

I'd rather wait for the first single (and I mean the first single from the album, not the rumored Skyhawk song) and then decide if I like the album. If even half of the stuff we've heard is true, it should be an interesting album. (8 out of 12 songs is good enough for me, IF that will be the case)

With all the talk about the delay, we should remember there hasn't been an official date for the album yet. Not at the "momentum after the tour" rumor (all plans can change, after all), not in between and not now.

Every band can get into problems in the studio (where did you see that, JOFO?), why should U2 be an exception? With their high standards, brought on by their past and themselves, it's no wonder that troubles may occur. One of their best albums was born out of problems in the studio.

U2girl said:
Every band can get into problems in the studio (where did you see that, JOFO?), why should U2 be an exception? With their high standards, brought on by their past and themselves, it's no wonder that troubles may occur. One of their best albums was born out of problems in the studio.

I can't find a link right now, but remember Bono said "we've hit a snag in the studio".

snag + studio = problems

Name another band that has 8 great songs on their albums? The album will be out when they are ready to release it. I wonder on average how many releases most folks have had to wait for that post on this forum? This will be the 6th album for me not counting Passengers and Best Of's and you kind of accept the waiting as part of the deal.

The 8 song thing was that they rocked hard. The other 3 or 4 could be ballads or mid-tempos, and still be good ie: one, stay, wowy, please, bad, kite, etc.

LOL... maybe I should edit my first post for people b/c it sounds like "I'm not supporting U2, anymore," or "I have lost interest in them." That isn't the case.

Its the new U2 album that I've lost most interest in at this point.(I heard it supposedly exists and is really rockin but it sounds like a myth/ tall tale along the lines of William Wallace blowing lightning out of his ass.)

MrBrau1 - I hope you are right.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
fear not, flying fumanchu... human clay part 2 should be out in no time

True... I never thought of that... geez, what an interesting sentiment. However, just as Bono is traveling around to save the world which slows down the U2 recording process, I believe Scott Stapp and his exploits in Celebrity Poker are hindering his creative processes.

I would love to see Creed do a fourth album called "Human Clay, Part 2 - Our Achtung Baby."

I bet it would be an American classic.

JOFO said:

I can't find a link right now, but remember Bono said "we've hit a snag in the studio".

snag + studio = problems

True, they said that, but that could be anything to me, from just getting the right mixes/post production for the songs, having problems with a few songs, or having major problems with most of the new material.

Off U2 for a second....if I were a rich man I would pay Creed alot of money to never put out another album. This has to be the most overrated undertalented group I have ever heard. The lead singer sounds like Adam Sandler doing his Cajun Man character....just AWFUL!

cseggleton said:
The lead singer sounds like Adam Sandler doing his Cajun Man character....just AWFUL!

The same could be said for the live outro to the song Elevation. It always makes me cringe for exactly that reason.

I hope the album won't be 8 songs like Elevation and 4 songs like Electrical Storm that would be a huge dissapointment. Elevation to me is not the heavy U2 I want but more like Bullet the Blue Sky or Exit.

Last edited:
Meh...I don't let the new album concern me. There are plenty of great artists out there, if you know where to look (and I hate most popular artists).

I'm willing to let U2 take all the time they need, and I just won't think about it for a while.

Melon

I agree you don't belong on THIS SITE if you have lost interest!!!!
Don't come on here and slag them off!!!

All of their songs are great actually, it takes them long to write albums cos they put A LLLLLOT OF PASSION AND THOUGHT INTO THEIR MUSIC!!! :mad:

I know we are all angry that the release of the album has been dragging, but they need a BREAK TOO U KNOW!!! :huh:

Hmmm, must be the benefits of age or... :hmm: I don't know.. I'm not least bit angry. All this excitement is what makes my (U2) life worth living. :hyper: Like Melon said there's so many good artist/music out there to listen too in the meantime. Don't worry be happy.. :wink: or just don't be angry. :dance:

yeah creed are bad, but there are worse things, such as rappers, jet, anyone of an IDOL show, and the scum of the earth, guy sebastian

Back
Top Bottom