I've just realised

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, Pop kicks some serious arse. I think that Bono's strained, cracked voice on this album, suits most of the songs really well.

Do you Feel Loved, Mofo and Gone are all irresistible songs for me. I can't help but reach for my dancin shoes whenever I hear them :dance:

Incidentally, on Popmart in Mexico Video, If you wear that velvet dress is the perfect 'come done' tune from discotheque. Its so understated and as it builds up and swirls, with Edge's delicate guitar work it has me swooning every time. And I'm a bloke...straight blokes arern't really supposed to swoon are they? :reject:

The New Mix of Gone on the Best Of played a crucial part in my conversion from casual fan to total fanatic.

I like album version more than the best of version...:reject:

It reminds me of Mysterious Ways in some way... and it has those keyboard/piano part that is (almost?) out in best of version...

Pero said:
That Gone frickin rocks :rockon:!!!!!!

what the hell, whole POP :rockon:

Ha! This just happened to me too recently, after all this time!! Well, I liked "Gone" and "Please," but just last month I realized the brilliance of "Discotheque," "Do You Feel Loved?" and "Mofo" as well.

Yay for POP!! :applaud:

If you can listen to Gone from the Washington DC Popmart show. This was early on in the tour and Gone was fairly new to the crowd and the crowd goes nuts throughout the song. At one point during the performance Bono yells a big "Thank you". This is during the song. Gone was always my favorite track off of Pop and really thought it should have been the 1st or 2nd single off of Pop.

bathiu said:
I like album version more than the best of version...:reject:

It reminds me of Mysterious Ways in some way... and it has those keyboard/piano part that is (almost?) out in best of version...

Get out of that box. :) I'm with you. I like the New Mix, but I much prefer the album version.

Re: Re: I've just realised

thousandfold said:

Ha! This just happened to me too recently, after all this time!! Well, I liked "Gone" and "Please," but just last month I realized the brilliance of "Discotheque," "Do You Feel Loved?" and "Mofo" as well.

Yay for POP!! :applaud:

:yes: another converted to the brilliance that is Pop!

I did not appreciate the beauty that is Gone for a loooong time. :drool: (or all of Pop for that matter :rockon: ) But one day I heard a version I really liked on a boot and it just hit it. It's in my top 5 favorite songs now. :drool:

*goes to put on Popmart Gone* :hyper:

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:
:wink:

Whack it back to track 3, turn it up loud captain - and rock out some more!!!!:rockon:

Alternatively, listen to the live version from Mexico City.

The New Mix version of Gone is really good but deep down I miss the mellancholly feeling I get from those screeching siren guitars during the chorus of the original version. Especially during the last chorus/climax of the song. So epic and crushingly beautiful. Know what I'm talking about? Anyone else like the original as much or more than the new mix?

Hoodlem said:
The New Mix version of Gone is really good but deep down I miss the mellancholly feeling I get from those screeching siren guitars during the chorus of the original version. Especially during the last chorus/climax of the song. So epic and crushingly beautiful. Know what I'm talking about? Anyone else like the original as much or more than the new mix?

Me. I like the new mix, but not nearly as much as the album version.

Definitely one of my top 3 U2 songs, along with maybe the Fly and UTEOTW. Both versions are great, though I do enjoy Edge's backing vocals being added into the New Mix.

One of my favorite U2 video moments is still when Edge kicks his Rickenbacker off the stage in the Gone live from Boston performance.:drool: He kicks so much ass.

"Gone" is indeed an awesome song-I love the siren sound of the guitar at the beginning and end, and I love the way Bono sings the song.

That's the thing I like about most of the songs on Pop-they have great music in them, and Bono sings them really, really well. "Staring At The Sun" is another favorite of mine from there for those two reasons (Edge's guitar in this one...:drool:...). As for other personal favorites: "Discotheque" is flat out fun to dance to, "If God Will Send His Angels" is beautiful, "Please" is haunting, and I adore "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" (the new version that was done a couple of years back kicks ass, too).

Also, I keep forgetting how great "Wake Up, Dead Man" is until I listen to it. That happen to anyone else, either with that song or with any other one?

And hey, I like "Miami", too. Hell, I just love this whole album-still remains in my top 5 list as far as U2 albums go.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom