iTunes is TOO Good - Scary!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
O.K., this is scary.

In 1997, I made my own CD bootleg. Yep - I did! :)

However, I was not the source of the audio. That was graciously provided by another person. That person gave me a video boot of the show (on VHS tape). I then painstakingly converted the analog VHS to digital format. I cleaned up each song and made a bootleg entitled "PopMart Blows in the the Windy City". This was my own title - yep, I created this title. Being a Chicago native and having attended this actual concert, I was happy to do this.

Keep in mind, the technology in 1997 wasn't what it is today. MP3's didn't really exist and digital recordings were rare. It took a lot of work to digitize this boot - and have it be fairly popular (I still get e-mails from people asking if they could have a copy).

I then traded or cheaply sold (for cost and only if the person had nothing to trade) this boot. On the CD, I even stated how the files were created (from tape to .wav to CD-R). I created the artwork - even throwing in a scan of Edge's signature (he signed his face on the "Pop" CD cover when I met him in 1997 after that same concert).

As I just purchased the U2 iPod, I now wanted to digitize this boot further - into MP3 format - and put it on my iPod.

When I inserted the CD that I made into my computer, iTunes not only recognized all the songs, but properly identified the name of the bootleg - calling it what I called it!! :ohmy: :shocked:

It's really weird knowing that a bootleg CD I made is now recognized by the internet community so readily! LOL! :lmao:

Anyone else have this "unique" situation?

I've had my iPod (not the U2 one, obviously) for about a year and I've found that iTunes is hit-and-miss for these sorts of things. Sometimes, it works, sometimes it doesn't and there is no rhyme or reason yet that I've found in explaining why it should be so.

haha, thats amazing! it's great that you went though all the work for the bootleg and now you're practically famous for it.

i remember that when you played the leaked mp3s of HTDAAB in Windows Media Player you would get the official artwork and album info and stuff.

Well, thankfully I'm not really famous for it - I just found it very interesting that it recognized the name I gave for the boot! And, of course, it instantly recognized all the songs. I was expecting to see what anitram stated - basically nothing. I guess this just tells us how well the digital world has expanded!

Uh...are you sure it just wasn't recognizing the digital information that was already stored on your CD? I've put in CDs I've burned and then named (and have not given to anyone else) and iTunes recognizes them. iTunes doesn't search the internet when looking for information about CDs, I believe, otherwise, album artwork would show up if I were to insert, say, a Coldplay CD. It doesn't. I don't mean to burst your bubble but iTunes got the title and track listing from the info that was already in existence on your CD.

-Miggy D

Basically, someone who had a copy of your CD ripped it onto his/her iTunes. If it's not found in the iTunes database, he/she was prompted to enter all pertinent information. Whoever this person was, entered your information and it's now in the iTunes database. Yes, you are now famous! Congratulations. :)

Miggy D said:
Uh...are you sure it just wasn't recognizing the digital information that was already stored on your CD? I've put in CDs I've burned and then named (and have not given to anyone else) and iTunes recognizes them. iTunes doesn't search the internet when looking for information about CDs, I believe, otherwise, album artwork would show up if I were to insert, say, a Coldplay CD. It doesn't. I don't mean to burst your bubble but iTunes got the title and track listing from the info that was already in existence on your CD.

-Miggy D

iTunes uses Gracenote/CDDB to pull album information off of the internet. It downloads track information but not cover art.

As far as know, it does not read CD Text.

Danny Boy said:

iTunes uses Gracenote/CDDB to pull album information off of the internet. It downloads track information but not cover art.

As far as know, it does not read CD Text.

This is correct - iTunes (like almost all computer MP3 or CD players) will pull off the data for the CD from Gracenote/CDDB. The fact that boots are now recognized is fun - especially when it's a boot I created. LOL! It's also nice to know that someone else liked my boot so much to enter the data. :)

not too tough to do, you just submit the info from your cd, to the sites, and bingo...Your boot is listed.

I went to Gracenote, and did a search...a few of my recordings are in there.

Back
Top Bottom