It's such a good thing that U2 polarizes its fans. (NOT sarcasm/irony)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I mean, isn't that just a testament to the consistent quality of the music? Some people like the 80s, some the 90s. We have PopHaters and lovers, ATYCLB bashers and appreciation societies. But it's all good. How much debate did the last 20 years of the Rolling Stones inspire? How many bands have continued to resonate with a new audience on each album, and still give the old ones something to get passionate about, for better or worse? Not very many. The Beatles have a similar split, although most of their fans appreciate both eras (as many U2 fans do). But the Beatles burned out after 8 years. U2 is 25 years into the game, still making music that huge numbers of people love (and hate). But it's vital music that inspires such ferocious and inspired discussion. So even though I cringe every time I see a Pop v. ATYCLB thread, I have to stop and admire the band for it.

If U2 keep making albums that matter for the next 10-15 years, who knows how highly they will be regarded in the world of music.

By the way, ATYCLB iZ gAy!1!!!!one!!!1!!eleven!!1

yeah agree. though i dunno if it's a testament to general greatness as much as it is a testament to the fact that they have changed, grown, evolved, tried new things, taken risks, and been adventurous throughout their career.

discothequeLP said:
25 years. wow. thats a long time!

i've missed so much...about 22 Years of it, i'm comming up to my 3rd Year as being a fan (on November 24th, boston concert on Pay TV :))

but the best may be yet to come, or has just arrived.

SkeeK said:
yeah agree. though i dunno if it's a testament to general greatness as much as it is a testament to the fact that they have changed, grown, evolved, tried new things, taken risks, and been adventurous throughout their career.

I was thinking along these similar lines this morning. Not many other bands are good enough to even allow you to debate what's their best album. Everybody knows it. But this band has taken such turns and trips that anybody can find something they really like while another can find the same thing as terrible but something else as great.

I'm really glad us fans have allowed the band to travel down new avenues. Some bands don't get that luxury and when they change their sound, there goes the fan base.

I think it is a statement about how deeply and personally people feel about this band. I have never seen anyone fight over any other albums by any other band, it's like, oh well, you like this, I like that, so what. But with U2, the fights over albums have become brutal and have deteriorated to personal attacks and the insulting of intellect. In a way, it's sad, in a way, it's laughable, in another way, it shows how much U2 means to us all.

Yeah, but U2 seems to have done something right each time, at least something. I mean the Clash went in plenty directions on their last two albums, but their diversity peaked in quality on London Calling. They put new sounds in Sandinista! and Combat Rock (Cut the Crap never happened), but even most diehard Clash fans aren't going to argue S! or CR as the Clash's best album. So u2 have had consistency as well as creative variety, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom